Search feature for alerts

Let's discuss features of the UN Job List and site update in this forum here.
Serendipity

Search feature for alerts

Post by Serendipity » 18 Aug 2018, 15:06

I want to create a search or alert that includes ONLY "temporary" positions but also keywords such as "this" OR "that"
My search pattern that I use is -----> +temporary this that

I expect it to return jobs that contain "temporary" AND "this" or "that".

but this returns ALL jobs with the word temporary even though they may or may not contain "this" or "that"

The + sign seems to be retrieving all jobs that contain "temporary" without consideration for the other keywords, which is not the expected behaviour.

What am I missing?

I don't wish to have multiple alerts.

NevKen

Re: Search feature for alerts

Post by NevKen » 18 Aug 2018, 15:50

I am sure Sebastian can answer the issue more precisely.

In my understanding, the VAs on this portal are 'highlight vacancy announcements' (highlighted at different platforms to gather as much interest and as much talent). Another thing to remember the 'temporary VAs' are to hire applicants on short notice and for urgent assignments, and as a rule short term vacancies are announced normally for a period of one week to around two at UN.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 18 Aug 2018, 16:30

Hi there,

I will have a look when I get back to my desktop later.

Very good question by the way! Thanks for asking!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 18 Aug 2018, 18:49

Serendipity wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 15:06
I want to create a search or alert that includes ONLY "temporary" positions but also keywords such as "this" OR "that"
My search pattern that I use is -----> +temporary this that

I expect it to return jobs that contain "temporary" AND "this" or "that".

but this returns ALL jobs with the word temporary even though they may or may not contain "this" or "that"

The + sign seems to be retrieving all jobs that contain "temporary" without consideration for the other keywords, which is not the expected behaviour.

What am I missing?

I don't wish to have multiple alerts.
Hi again,

alright, the way it works is as follows:

"+" means - this MUST include the word (by the way, use an asterisk in your search to get all versions - so search for "+temp*" to ensure all temporary posts are included in your search

"-" means keyword is not allowed.

nothing just means "or"

So if you search for "+temp* this that" you will get all temporary jobs regardless of "this" or "that" since the first condition of the "or" condition (="temp*") is already matched. If you search with +temp* +this +that you will likely not get any useful results. So if I understand correctly, what you are looking for is more a something like this:

Show all jobs that are temporary + This AND show all jobs that are temporary + That. (or short: "+temp* +(this that)" - this would make sure that a job is temporary and either of "this" or "that" kind.

Am I understanding you well? I could look into changing the search algorithm to enable that. But let me know if I understand you correctly. Thanks!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » 18 Aug 2018, 21:24

Thanks for the response.
Correct you are in your understanding of my search requirements.
This is similar to what I tried but I always got an error.

So if you actually try what you have provided ...... "+temp* +(this that)", it will come back with an error.
"There is a problem with your search string. Please don't use numbers or other characters in your search query."

Thanks

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 19 Aug 2018, 05:04

Ok thanks, I will look into it...

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 20 Aug 2018, 20:20

Just a quick update. I'm still looking into that - I hit a few snags that I'm still working on... Thanks for being patient.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 21 Aug 2018, 05:49

Hi,

I managed to get it to work. One example is, if you search for:

"+temp* +(procurement administration)"

This leads to the following results:

https://unjoblist.org/results.php?kw=%2 ... Job=Search

Which is exactly what you wanted: temporary posts which have procurement in the title plus temporary posts that have administration in the title.

Does this work for you?