Success stories!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Sebastian

Success stories!

Post by Sebastian » 04 Aug 2018, 10:50

It is important to share where we are successful - so please post your success stories in this topic!

Thanks a lot for sharing!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

FunkMaster

Re: Success stories!

Post by FunkMaster » 06 Aug 2018, 18:21

Does nobody have a success story to tell? Is it really impossible to land a job in the UN?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 07 Aug 2018, 09:10

Patience FunkMaster - there are many success stories out there. In the old forum we had quite a few shared here:

https://www.rottmair.de/forum/topic/success-stories/

If anybody wants to share new success stories - please feel free to share them in the below. Thanks!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

EmmaRoll

Post by EmmaRoll » 06 Sep 2018, 11:11

[MOD. EDIT: Removed due to SPAM]

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 06 Sep 2018, 11:40

EmmaRoll wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 11:11
[MOD EDIT - content removed due to SPAM]
This is merely because there is no UN HRM involvement or they would have been Deuced for year 'under consideration'.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 06 Sep 2018, 12:28

@NevKen - thanks for good spirits and great humour... If you or anybody in future see any SPAM comment, please just report the post (the little Exclamation point on the top right) and I will take action as quickly as I can.

sunnyboldg

Post by sunnyboldg » 10 Sep 2018, 18:52

Respected members, is it true that we do not need any reference in UN to support us to get a job or can it be achieved on merit as well? I know of friends who got jobs in UN through references not on merit. How true can it be as they themselves admit it and it is not just these cases but many others saying the same thing. Kindly comment. I myself am rostered in 4 categories but I don't think these rosters shall be of any help or may be they will. Regards

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 10 Sep 2018, 21:41

sunnyboldg wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 18:52
Respected members, is it true that we do not need any reference in UN to support us to get a job or can it be achieved on merit as well? I know of friends who got jobs in UN through references not on merit. How true can it be as they themselves admit it and it is not just these cases but many others saying the same thing. Kindly comment. I myself am rostered in 4 categories but I don't think these rosters shall be of any help or may be they will. Regards
I am sure you have no intentions to tag any allegations but a lack of understanding about merit that you wish to clear.

Jump I will catch you don't be afraid... know that phrase... that's a referral. Note that it is the jumper who take risk and jump, if that jump fails he has the referral to blame and if the jumper succeed the credit goes to the referral for making it successful, but it is all about the jumper effort (merit). Internal referrals cannot override merits (efforts), merits are handled by a system made of several departments, no-one can bypass that system, referrals just allows a little moral support.

There can be many form of rumors about mishandling of authority, there is a special UN organization taking care of any wrongdoings within the UN System. Hence rumors are just rumors unless proven otherwise by a competent authority. Wiser way of dealing with this is to let the concerned authorities know to investigate. Now internal referral by law is not illegal in any way, of course the world business revolves around referrals. It is a matter of how we see things, sometimes the way a process develops can be confusing and we may not know the facts. So you do not need to be concerned about others but yourself. As you mentioned you are roastered in four categories, believe me, there are hundred of thousands of candidates who still dreaming of reaching somewhere near.

sunnyboldg

Post by sunnyboldg » 11 Sep 2018, 19:52

Thanks a lot dear Sir for a brilliant elaboration. Actually I am not disappointed to be honest but the way placements are made is designed to fit the procedure to avoid attention hence, allegations. I am a witness to one of the anomalies in which a call came to a friend of mine from a peacekeeping mission to ask if he was rostered in FS-4 but he wasn't rather he named another friend of ours who was in a roster and in no time an availability mail came and in another less than 15 days he received administrative forms and appointment order. Now he is in mission. Internal investigation springs into action when complained to or irregularity transpires. Things are managed in such an uncanny way that Internal Investigation or oversight shall take years to notice.

My dear Sir, I really don't accuse anybody but my concern is predicated on my own eye-witness account. In today's UN unfortunately without internal reference it is hard to win a place in UN.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 11 Sep 2018, 20:01

sunnyboldg wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 19:52
My dear Sir, I really don't accuse anybody but my concern is predicated on my own eye-witness account. In today's UN unfortunately without internal reference it is hard to win a place in UN.
I really think this is worth debating a bit more: what I find is that is helps to know what's going on in a department / unit / organisation: without any inside knowledge it is hard to really hit the perfect tone/culture in any kind of assessment. Having said this: I know for a fact that many outsiders are joining the UN every day without any internal references / without any connections to anybody. Without sharing any details I can say that in the last 5 recruitments I was involved in, only 1 ended up being filled with somebody who had prior UN knowledge - in none of these 5 cases anybody tried to influence any of mine / the panels recruitment decisions. (and as said this is my experience, I'm curious to hear from other hiring managers how their experience is!)

But of course this is a numbers game, too: for each of these posts we had at least 150 applicants, many of which were long-listed and some of which even made it to the shortlist. So with these numbers at play, many folks didn't make it while there was a successful candidate in the end of each process.