Success stories!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
finsalscollons

Re: Success stories!

Post by finsalscollons » 03 Nov 2019, 19:28

This is my story, which I have never told, but I have decided to, because I see similarities with some of your stories:

I discovered the United Nations in 2006. I spent about 11 years sending hundreds of applications and participating in tens of recruitment processes. It was difficult because the process is so opaque: nobody tells you why you have failed. So you have very little feedback to improve. Little by little, I got a bit better in performing in the recruitment processes and in managing frustration. I had some consulting jobs with the World Bank.

In 2016, I was especially good in a selection process and got included in a roster. In 2017, I was selected as a P3 in a peacekeeping mission in Haiti (in the same roster). I started my job on February 2018, when I was 48 years old.

I thought this was going to be the beginning of a career in the United Nations. But the first day of work my boss told me that the mission was about to close and I should start looking for another job (he was right). Talk about disappointment!

I decided to stay in Haiti to have one year of experience in the United Nations, even when the conditions were awful. I have lived most of my life in developing countries and I have endured lots of bad situations (post-war conflict, 2 hurricanes, 3 main earthquakes, a train accident and continuous seismical activity). But Haiti was a different level. I had never suffered like that. Even obtaining water and food was a challenge. I was subjected to insane amounts of bullying because the guy in charge of resources had applied to my position (and lost) so he constantly tried to make my life impossible. I am in psychological help to recover from the situation.

After Haiti, I have sent about 20 applications without success (about 9 applications are in progress). I thought having a United Nations experience would make it easier but it does not seem so.

It is really difficult to get in the United Nations. You guys know but most people don’t know.

prdeepak

Post by prdeepak » 06 Dec 2019, 00:20

Has anyone got selected in the Human Resource Officer role P2/P3 in the UN? If so, can you please share your key profile details such as total expereince_, specific skills_, certification if any_, conflict expereince_? This would help us to understand what are the specific skills that UN agencies are seeking in an HR officer role and will help us to prepare for those skill sets.

Thanks,

cherrygirl

Post by cherrygirl » 10 Apr 2020, 11:40

Hi, I recently got an offer with one of the UN agencies and it is a FTA. I've worked in the UN for about 4 years but this is my first time getting a proper contract so I am very delighted about this. I did not know anyone inside the agency so I could not believe it when I got an email telling me I got the offer. But I think my nationality and second language ability were helpful apart from my previous experience. There are many many factors that play roles in getting a job in the UN system. Good luck to everyone.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 10 Apr 2020, 12:59

cherrygirl wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 11:40
Hi, I recently got an offer with one of the UN agencies and it is a FTA. I've worked in the UN for about 4 years but this is my first time getting a proper contract so I am very delighted about this. I did not know anyone inside the agency so I could not believe it when I got an email telling me I got the offer. But I think my nationality and second language ability were helpful apart from my previous experience. There are many many factors that play roles in getting a job in the UN system. Good luck to everyone.
Big congrats! Cherry.

CAV

Post by CAV » 17 May 2020, 15:34

I just received my letter of recruitment! Will move to my duty station once travel restrictions are lifted. UNHCR P4. Amman Jordan. Timeline:
Applied in Sept 2019.
Silence until January 2020 - then wrote an exam for a P3 position in Kenya.
Feb 2020 completed an oral exam for Kenya P3 job.
March 2020 received a call from the Chief in Geneva Asking if I was interested in the senior position As she was putting together a list of candidates who “can do the job and sending it to the decision makers”and next day interviewed for the senior position of the same type of job, a P4 In Jordan. Interview went well.
April 2020 received notice of appointment email and request to verify references and credentials.
May 4th, got congratulations email and sent medical clearance forms.
Now, May 17 - completing all onboarding documents.
Date of travel still awaiting lifting of COVID travel restrictions but have been told they hope to have me in place for handover before July 1,2020 when the current incumbent leaves.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 17 May 2020, 19:01

CAV wrote:
17 May 2020, 15:34
I just received my letter of recruitment! Will move to my duty station once travel restrictions are lifted. UNHCR P4. Amman Jordan. Timeline:
Applied in Sept 2019.
March 2020 received a call from the Chief in Geneva Asking if I was interested in the senior position As she was putting together a list of candidates who “can do the job and sending it to the decision makers”and next day interviewed for the senior position of the same type of job, a P4 In Jordan. Interview went well.
April 2020 received notice of appointment email and request to verify references and credentials.
Date of travel still awaiting lifting of COVID travel restrictions but have been told they hope to have me in place for handover before July 1,2020 when the current incumbent leaves.
Oh wow! This is really an inspirational story. Congrats and fingers crossed for us still holding on and hoping.

CAV

Post by CAV » 18 May 2020, 04:15

H.O.P wrote:
17 May 2020, 19:01
CAV wrote:
Applied in Sept 2019.
Oh wow! This is really an inspirational story. Congrats and fingers crossed for us still holding on and hoping.
Thanks! Yes there is hope. Good luck to all of you!

nlukelesia

Post by nlukelesia » 18 May 2020, 09:47

congratulations! this is very encouraging

Papa

Post by Papa » 19 May 2020, 16:32

CAV wrote:
Applied in Sept 2019.
All the best...This is so refreshing, Asanti sana! for the message. Let me continue hoping things will be better after doing 4 exams this year.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 03 Jun 2020, 09:50

Congratulations! I'm based there in Jordan too (: It's very safe at the moment coronavirus wise, I am sure you will have a very positive experience and be a positive asset to us here!