Success stories!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
finsalscollons

Re: Success stories!

Post by finsalscollons » 03 Nov 2019, 19:28

This is my story, which I have never told, but I have decided to, because I see similarities with some of your stories:

I discovered the United Nations in 2006. I spent about 11 years sending hundreds of applications and participating in tens of recruitment processes. It was difficult because the process is so opaque: nobody tells you why you have failed. So you have very little feedback to improve. Little by little, I got a bit better in performing in the recruitment processes and in managing frustration. I had some consulting jobs with the World Bank.

In 2016, I was especially good in a selection process and got included in a roster. In 2017, I was selected as a P3 in a peacekeeping mission in Haiti (in the same roster). I started my job on February 2018, when I was 48 years old.

I thought this was going to be the beginning of a career in the United Nations. But the first day of work my boss told me that the mission was about to close and I should start looking for another job (he was right). Talk about disappointment!

I decided to stay in Haiti to have one year of experience in the United Nations, even when the conditions were awful. I have lived most of my life in developing countries and I have endured lots of bad situations (post-war conflict, 2 hurricanes, 3 main earthquakes, a train accident and continuous seismical activity). But Haiti was a different level. I had never suffered like that. Even obtaining water and food was a challenge. I was subjected to insane amounts of bullying because the guy in charge of resources had applied to my position (and lost) so he constantly tried to make my life impossible. I am in psychological help to recover from the situation.

After Haiti, I have sent about 20 applications without success (about 9 applications are in progress). I thought having a United Nations experience would make it easier but it does not seem so.

It is really difficult to get in the United Nations. You guys know but most people don’t know.

prdeepak

Re: Success stories!

Post by prdeepak » 06 Dec 2019, 00:20

Has anyone got selected in the Human Resource Officer role P2/P3 in the UN? If so, can you please share your key profile details such as total expereince_, specific skills_, certification if any_, conflict expereince_? This would help us to understand what are the specific skills that UN agencies are seeking in an HR officer role and will help us to prepare for those skill sets.

Thanks,