Success stories!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
starryhindsight

Re: Success stories!

Post by starryhindsight » 01 Oct 2018, 10:45

Congrats HOP! Have you decided to take the UNV or the consultancy?

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 02 Oct 2018, 12:04

mdr wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 10:13
H.O.P wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 07:51
starryhindsight wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 04:10

It was pretty much the next day, but I submitted all my academic documents early on, so there wasn't much else to check aside from filling up information such as country of departure, emergency contacts, etc. Now I am in contact with them about accepting the offer, sending my bank information and doing some tests online. I am still waiting for medical clearance.

I guess UNV might be slow, I've heard complaints, so I think you shouldn't necessarily worry. Also I think that your duty station is a lot more complicated than mine, information wise, and conditions wise (visa/medical clearance), so maybe it takes a bit more time. But anyway I think you can also go ahead and send a gentle reminder, UNV does the hiring so it's not like they would withdraw your offer just because you are a little bit persistent.
Thanks for getting back to me. They finally sent mine in the evening of 30th September. They took about a bit over a week. I guess it's true my duty station is more difficult.
Hey H.O.P! Congratulations! I take it that you had to wait some time for your offer letter too? Since my follow-up was just on Friday, I'm expecting a call today on Monday.. Haha after that missed email, I'm getting a little nervous and thinking was I too early to celebrate? Was thinking of making a new post about waiting for offer letter/relocation process until I saw your comment.
Thanks, @Mdr Yes, receiving the official offer took a bit over a week. For a moment I was thinking maybe something went wrong in the reference check or they changed their mind. But it was such a relief to get a final official confirmation of being hired.

mdr

Post by mdr » 03 Oct 2018, 01:04

H.O.P wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 12:04
mdr wrote:
H.O.P wrote:

Thanks, @Mdr Yes, receiving the official offer took a bit over a week. For a moment I was thinking maybe something went wrong in the reference check or they changed their mind. But it was such a relief to get a final official confirmation of being hired.
Thanks for getting back. Mine has just past the 1-week mark. And I get what you mean about thinking something might have gone wrong- I feel the same. Can't help feeling nervous until I get the actual offer letter and sign the contract. Also can't believe being in a whole other waiting game now. I couldn't help myself yesterday and sent an email to the FAO Secretariat (who emailed me about the appointment) about some questions and asked when I could expect Shared Services Center/SSC to contact me. I know different agencies/organizations have their own hiring processes and this could totally be business-as-usual for the FAO but it's nerve-wracking when you don't hear something at this stage.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 03 Oct 2018, 07:11

mdr wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 01:04
H.O.P wrote:
mdr wrote:

Thanks for getting back. Mine has just past the 1-week mark. And I get what you mean about thinking something might have gone wrong- I feel the same. Can't help feeling nervous until I get the actual offer letter and sign the contract. Also can't believe being in a whole other waiting game now. I couldn't help myself yesterday and sent an email to the FAO Secretariat (who emailed me about the appointment) about some questions and asked when I could expect Shared Services Center/SSC to contact me. I know different agencies/organizations have their own hiring processes and this could totally be business-as-usual for the FAO but it's nerve-wracking when you don't hear something at this stage.
Unfortunately, with the UN System, it is always a waiting game. Hang in there and stay positive. Your offer will come soon. Maybe a personnel in the process is either absent/slow in working. Good luck as you wait!

mdr

Post by mdr » 03 Oct 2018, 12:27

H.O.P wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 07:11
mdr wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 01:04
H.O.P wrote:

Unfortunately, with the UN System, it is always a waiting game. Hang in there and stay positive. Your offer will come soon. Maybe a personnel in the process is either absent/slow in working. Good luck as you wait!
Thanks H.O.P! Much appreciated! I started reaching out to some UN friends about their experience. One of them told me I shouldn't feel embarrassed about following-up with them (I do feel like I might be a little pushy & impatient haha) and that some places do take months like the IOM. I'll guess I'll just continue on with business-as-usual on my end as well. Good luck to you too!

Ndechitu

Post by Ndechitu » 03 Oct 2018, 17:34

H.O.P wrote:
mdr wrote:
H.O.P wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me. They finally sent mine in the evening of 30th September. They took about a bit over a week. I guess it's true my duty station is more difficult.
Hey H.O.P! Congratulations! I take it that you had to wait some time for your offer letter too? Since my follow-up was just on Friday, I'm expecting a call today on Monday.. Haha after that missed email, I'm getting a little nervous and thinking was I too early to celebrate? Was thinking of making a new post about waiting for offer letter/relocation process until I saw your comment.
The process is different in many ways, for example, I have to sign a Confirmation & Appointment letter on Monday and get to be given an introduction, I believe, after completion of all necessary procedures from signing the letter of offer, completing medical forms and sending all educational and work documentation and registering for the induction and orientation processes. The process is cumbersome, but patience prevails.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 03 Oct 2018, 22:44

Yeah, I've since talked to some UNVs who told me that from moment of offer to actual deployment can even take months, usually because of visa issues. So I am continuing work here as usual, though I've already anyway given a heads up to everyone I work with that I will at some point leave...

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 04 Oct 2018, 13:15

starryhindsight wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 22:44
Yeah, I've since talked to some UNVs who told me that from moment of offer to actual deployment can even take months, usually because of visa issues. So I am continuing work here as usual, though I've already anyway given a heads up to everyone I work with that I will at some point leave...
Months? Oh wow! Didn't know it will take so long. I guess it is that long. I have not even received a response for medical clearance that I sent. Anyway, I am still doing the pre-departure courses maybe a reply will come before I am done.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 04 Oct 2018, 17:09

Well maybe monthsss would be an exaggeration, but people have been quoting me two months on average. But good news I found out is that after a confirmed offer, we should still have time to give notice to quit jobs, moving etc.

And yeah, I sent my medical clearance documents and they forgot about it until I followed up. I assume I will still need to do an actual medical check up, but haven't heard anything so far.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 04 Oct 2018, 17:32

starryhindsight wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 17:09
Well maybe monthsss would be an exaggeration, but people have been quoting me two months on average. But good news I found out is that after a confirmed offer, we should still have time to give notice to quit jobs, moving etc.

And yeah, I sent my medical clearance documents and they forgot about it until I followed up. I assume I will still need to do an actual medical check up, but haven't heard anything so far.
Oh wow! Thank you for telling me this. I will follow up with the medical personnel next week. True, I was about to write them to move back my travel date, but as it will take longer than I indicated, I will let it be.