P- Level Roster

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
prdeepak

P- Level Roster

Post by prdeepak » 01 Jul 2019, 15:54

I had applied through inspira for a P3 position and post a competency interview, was informed that I was rostered for the position. To anyone with roster experience- how does it work? any idea on how many people are put on the roster after an interview (for a specific position) and is there any success in getting selected from roster subsequently?

Please share your thoughts

finsalscollons

Re: P- Level Roster

Post by finsalscollons » 14 Sep 2019, 00:50

When you are put in a roster, you are emailed for each new job posting that is included in your roster. You can apply or not. If you apply, you are better considered because of being in a roster. There are job posting only limited to rostered candidates, which give you even better chances.

Being in a roster is great. I was put in a roster and some months I applied to a job vacancy only limited for rostered candidates. I got the job even without an interview.

prdeepak

Post by prdeepak » 14 Sep 2019, 17:11

Thanks for your reply, this surely is motivating:-) hoping to get one soon
finsalscollons wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 00:50
When you are put in a roster, you are emailed for each new job posting that is included in your roster. You can apply or not. If you apply, you are better considered because of being in a roster. There are job posting only limited to rostered candidates, which give you even better chances.

Being in a roster is great. I was put in a roster and some months I applied to a job vacancy only limited for rostered candidates. I got the job even without an interview.

MRS69

Post by MRS69 » 28 Oct 2019, 11:24

finsalscollons wrote:

Dear #finsalscollons,
Get inspired by seeing your reply about Roster & subsequent landing in the desired job. Congratulations for making it materialised as you wish. Please attend my doubt as I am in Roster Pool in FS-5 level position for the past 8 years. so far, not selected for any position despite of my applications to all Recruit From Roster job opportunities. Please clarify?

Regards
MRS

johne

Post by johne » 28 Oct 2019, 12:25

MRS69 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 11:24
finsalscollons wrote:

Dear #finsalscollons,
Get inspired by seeing your reply about Roster & subsequent landing in the desired job. Congratulations for making it materialised as you wish. Please attend my doubt as I am in Roster Pool in FS-5 level position for the past 8 years. so far, not selected for any position despite of my applications to all Recruit From Roster job opportunities. Please clarify?

Regards
MRS
Not everyone get hired. If you read reviews from YPP, even though 5 to 10% pass all the stages, not everyone gets a job. Some people get a job right away, some wait for couple of months or years, some never get it at all. Everyone's case is different.

MRS69

Post by MRS69 » 28 Oct 2019, 13:17

Dear Johne,
Yes, certainly that "we can't claim over it". But, after the process of Rostering & candidates being selected from the pool of rosters, generally question raises about "how many candidates were kept in the Roster"? and "What is the criteria of selection from the pool of rosters"? (as there is no interview for FS-5 level positions) Please clarify, if have an idea.
Regards
MRS

johne

Post by johne » 13 Jan 2020, 13:16

MRS69 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 13:17
Dear Johne,
Yes, certainly that "we can't claim over it". But, after the process of Rostering & candidates being selected from the pool of rosters, generally question raises about "how many candidates were kept in the Roster"? and "What is the criteria of selection from the pool of rosters"? (as there is no interview for FS-5 level positions) Please clarify, if have an idea.
Regards
MRS
It is hard to answer these questions without being an HR person. Usually, they do not tell candidates why they were selected and even if the candidates ask, it will be a general answer aka "You have been selected because you were better suited for this position...". An HR person would not answer you exactly either, unless it is your friend :) Did not know that for FS-05 level positions there are no interviews. That is interesting

finsalscollons

Post by finsalscollons » 15 Jan 2020, 15:29

Well, johne and MRS69 have explained it very well. Being in a Roster does not make sure your getting a job. Of course, the odds of getting a "Recruit from roster" job while being in the roster associated with this job are much better than applying to a job for which you don't belong to the roster. In my case, I guess I got lucky.

For me, the awful thing is the lack of feedback. As johne says, you never know why your application was rejected. This is completely depressing, because you don't know how to improve. Maybe you have a thing that prevents you from being hired and it is an easy thing to fix but you'll never know. The only feedback you have is whether you are called for an interview or test or not. If you are called, you can conclude that your CV did well.

In my case, I have noticed that, after having a one-year experience as a P3, I am called less than before I had any experience in the United Nations, which is completely counter-intuitive. I think that there is something that I am not doing well, but I'll never know.

jane27

Post by jane27 » 15 Feb 2020, 16:35

prdeepak wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 15:54
I had applied through inspira for a P3 position and post a competency interview, was informed that I was rostered for the position. To anyone with roster experience- how does it work? any idea on how many people are put on the roster after an interview (for a specific position) and is there any success in getting selected from roster subsequently?

Hi! Congratulations on your P3 roster! Know that not many applicants, even those who are already working in the UN, get rosters in a particular post. P3 is a good start.

In my experience in the rostering process, from hundreds of applicants, there could be around 10 to 20 people recommended for rosters, even less than 10.

It means that you'll have more chances to apply for P3 positions in your post title or within job network (depends on the policy), especially there are more "Recruit from Roster" vacancies. It also means you don't need to go through the exam and interview parts of the recruitment. Normally, the system will automatically email you once there's a vacancy that came up, and it will ask you if you're interested and available for the position. Then the list of interested applicants will go to the hiring manager, who usually sets up an informal chat with each applicant to see how best you fit in the position.

Also, the roster could be huge. It's a combination of internal and external candidates.

But I'd advise to never mind that. The most important thing is the requirements for the job of a particular office. For example, a Civil Affairs Officer roster could have different expertise and also job focus, HQ job is also different from field work, etc. So, if a specific office is looking for a Civil Affairs Officer in the roster who has experience in field work, community organizing and training, then that's going to be looked at from the profiles in the Civil Affairs roster.

So what you could do is once you get an email notification, reply to express your interest. And then update your PHP based on the job requirements. Pay special attention to the "required", "desirable" and "preferred" and make sure your PHP addresses those, because this will make or break your application.

All the best!
“Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman

prdeepak

Post by prdeepak » 19 Feb 2020, 01:45

Thanks a lot @Jane27. This information is encouraging.@jane27
Also I wanted to check with you on my application. I'm currently pursuing my PHD and applying to UN positions (if offered, I will immediately join). However mentioning my current status (ongoing PHD)- would this negatively affect my application. Should I or not mention it?
@jane27

ion]jane27[/mention]
jane27 wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 16:35
prdeepak wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 15:54

Hi! Congratulations on your P3 roster! Know that not many applicants, even those who are already working in the UN, get rosters in a particular post. P3 is a good start.

In my experience in the rostering process, from hundreds of applicants, there could be around 10 to 20 people recommended for rosters, even less than 10.

It means that you'll have more chances to apply for P3 positions in your post title or within job network (depends on the policy), especially there are more "Recruit from Roster" vacancies. It also means you don't need to go through the exam and interview parts of the recruitment. Normally, the system will automatically email you once there's a vacancy that came up, and it will ask you if you're interested and available for the position. Then the list of interested applicants will go to the hiring manager, who usually sets up an informal chat with each applicant to see how best you fit in the position.

Also, the roster could be huge. It's a combination of internal and external candidates.

But I'd advise to never mind that. The most important thing is the requirements for the job of a particular office. For example, a Civil Affairs Officer roster could have different expertise and also job focus, HQ job is also different from field work, etc. So, if a specific office is looking for a Civil Affairs Officer in the roster who has experience in field work, community organizing and training, then that's going to be looked at from the profiles in the Civil Affairs roster.

So what you could do is once you get an email notification, reply to express your interest. And then update your PHP based on the job requirements. Pay special attention to the "required", "desirable" and "preferred" and make sure your PHP addresses those, because this will make or break your application.

All the best!