P- Level Roster

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
jane27

Re: P- Level Roster

Post by jane27 » 19 Feb 2020, 14:27

Hi again, @prdeepak ,

As for your PhD, you could reflect it in your PHP, even if it's still ongoing. There's a comment box there I think in Inspira or some tick box to reflect that it's not yet completed. Even if it's ongoing, it should not reflect negatively in your application. It will also show what specialization you're currently pursuing/heading. Even if it's not that related to the job you're applying for, just reflect it anyway. It's a way of being honest and shows your efforts for continuous learning.

Having a PhD can be good in a profile, especially if it's a post where you'll assume leadership posts. But again, it depends on the job you're applying for and if it is relevant. I've encountered applicants with PhD who cannot 'deliver' during interviews, meaning, s/he was not able to show how competent s/he is in his/her answers.

Sometimes, having a PhD may pose a question on whether you are adaptable, how a team player you could be, and how you're willing to learn and even open to correction. It might give an impression that, "Hey, I have a PhD, I know what I'm doing and you can't tell me what to do" kind of attitude, which is, of course, the least a manager would like to have in a team.

More than the expertise, hiring managers would like to have able, professional staff who won't be a headache in the long run, simply because they can't get along. Unfortunately, the work deliverables are affected and this whole scenario makes the work environment toxic for everyone.

So in case you'd get another email asking for your interest and availability, it will always be great to reflect, especially in your motivation letter and informal chats, on what you can offer, how you can bring added value to the team and the kind of attitude you have.

Just let me know if you have other doubts or questions in your mind. Glad to help!
“Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman

prdeepak

Re: P- Level Roster

Post by prdeepak » 19 Feb 2020, 15:49

Hi Jane,

Thanks a ton for your reply. This is encouraging and have resolved my dilemma. Hoping to be in UN one day

Thanks,
Prdeepak
jane27 wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 14:27
Hi again, @prdeepak ,

As for your PhD, you could reflect it in your PHP, even if it's still ongoing. There's a comment box there I think in Inspira or some tick box to reflect that it's not yet completed. Even if it's ongoing, it should not reflect negatively in your application. It will also show what specialization you're currently pursuing/heading. Even if it's not that related to the job you're applying for, just reflect it anyway. It's a way of being honest and shows your efforts for continuous learning.

Having a PhD can be good in a profile, especially if it's a post where you'll assume leadership posts. But again, it depends on the job you're applying for and if it is relevant. I've encountered applicants with PhD who cannot 'deliver' during interviews, meaning, s/he was not able to show how competent s/he is in his/her answers.

Sometimes, having a PhD may pose a question on whether you are adaptable, how a team player you could be, and how you're willing to learn and even open to correction. It might give an impression that, "Hey, I have a PhD, I know what I'm doing and you can't tell me what to do" kind of attitude, which is, of course, the least a manager would like to have in a team.

More than the expertise, hiring managers would like to have able, professional staff who won't be a headache in the long run, simply because they can't get along. Unfortunately, the work deliverables are affected and this whole scenario makes the work environment toxic for everyone.

So in case you'd get another email asking for your interest and availability, it will always be great to reflect, especially in your motivation letter and informal chats, on what you can offer, how you can bring added value to the team and the kind of attitude you have.

Just let me know if you have other doubts or questions in your mind. Glad to help!