Application Process!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Anja

Application Process!

Post by Anja » 04 Aug 2018, 10:59

Hi fellow hopefuls,

I liked the post about the Application process in the previous forum - can we start that discussion here, too?

Does anybody have any experience with applications in IOM?

Thanks!

NevKen

Re: Application Process!

Post by NevKen » 04 Aug 2018, 14:32

Sure 'Application Process' is the life line of this forum.

Application Process for UNOPS

'Applied - Posted' (before the posting date expires)
'Applied - Under Review' (general eligibility is determined here) I have experienced status update in 4 days as well as 4 months.
'Longlisted - Shortlisting' (only eligible applications are longlisted) I have experienced status update in 4 days as well as 9 months.
'Longlisted - Evaluation' (only shortlisted applications are evaluated - functional eligibility is determined here) I have experienced status update in 4 days as well as 4 months.

I would welcome applicants who at some point had been shortlisted - what status you see and how often that updated (i.e; shortlisted - evaluation, shortlisted - interview/exercise etc.)

Please be advised this is only for UNOPS.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » 04 Aug 2018, 15:47

Hi,

I have recently applied for a position at UNICEF and wanted to ask about the application process as it is my first application with UNICEF.

Upon closing of the deadline, my application status said "Application acknowledgment " for about two days. Thereafter, it changed to "Application under review" and has been in that state for about 5 days now. I know 5 days is nothing going by the time it takes for the UN to process applications. But does an application with the UNICEF ever change from this state? Those who managed to go far and got a job can maybe share if their status changed from "Application under review" at various stages of the application process or whether this is the end state?

Pman

Post by Pman » 05 Aug 2018, 17:41

Hi Enigma,
Here is my own experience at UNICEF. 5days after my application my status changed from 'acknowledged' to 'under review'. I have successfully had test, interview, reference checked, credentials checked, no offer yet but my status remains 'application under review'.

I am not sure if this status will eventually change, may be Sabastian could add his professional view...

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 05 Aug 2018, 17:59

Hi Pman,

Wow, that sounds very fast! How long did the overall process take? And how long have you been waiting for the offer? Would you mind sharing which agency? Was it UNICEF?
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Pman

Post by Pman » 05 Aug 2018, 18:19

Hi Sabastian,
I can't thank you enough for this platform, it has been very helpful and will continue to be.
Back to your query, here is my timeline with UNICEF...
*2 weeks after the expiration of job posting I had my written test.
*2 weeks after the written test I also had my interview
*1 day after my interview I was asked to submit my references for check alongside my academic credentials.
* It's been 3months without a feed back.

I checked with the HR 1.5months after my interview and I was told to remain positive and be hopeful. I really don't know what is happening as the waiting game is 😂😂😂. Mr. Sabastian can you please share your view???

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 05 Aug 2018, 19:41

Pman wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 18:19
Hi Sabastian,
I can't thank you enough for this platform, it has been very helpful and will continue to be.
Thanks! Much appreciated! What makes this great long-term is, if we get a lot of great contributions from a lively community. So I rely on everyone to help build a good community here :)
Back to your query, here is my timeline with UNICEF...
*2 weeks after the expiration of job posting I had my written test.
*2 weeks after the written test I also had my interview
*1 day after my interview I was asked to submit my references for check alongside my academic credentials.
That's super impressive and extremely fast. There are not many processes that go this fast!
* It's been 3months without a feed back.

I checked with the HR 1.5months after my interview and I was told to remain positive and be hopeful. I really don't know what is happening as the waiting game is 😂😂😂. Mr. Sabastian can you please share your view???
Ahh - this is more the typical time-line. Of course I don't know the actual situation in your case but it seems like a very committed hiring manager that did everything she/he could do and then the organisational review processes / budget allocation process that keeps gumming up the results... Indeed, I would be hopeful - especially if HR says you should remain positive and hopeful. Sorry to hear it took so long... Let us know how it ends for sure!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » 05 Aug 2018, 21:14

Pman wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 17:41
Hi Enigma,
Here is my own experience at UNICEF. 5days after my application my status changed from 'acknowledged' to 'under review'. I have successfully had test, interview, reference checked, credentials checked, no offer yet but my status remains 'application under review'.

I am not sure if this status will eventually change, may be Sabastian could add his professional view...
Hi Pman,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I need to buckle up well as it could be a long wait before the status changes, if at all.

Starbuck

Post by Starbuck » 06 Aug 2018, 09:41

Hi everybody! I had an interview for p2 IAEA position, and a week after they asked for permission to contact my references. Does anyone know how many candidates get their references checked? How this process looks like? Some of my referees are not proficient in English, I don't know how will they get info from them. And it is really hard to come upfront to your boss and say that you might leave, if there is just a slight chance of getting that dream job

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 06 Aug 2018, 10:35

Starbuck:
Good to know you are this close to securing your dream job. I presume not many candidate are lucky enough who reach this stage (reference/credentials checks and verifications).

To avoid any misunderstandings, you must inform the UN HRMS about your position with your current employer (your standing with each referee) and you can always use past tense informing your current employer. Finally, language is not a problem for UN, all you need is to inform the UN HRMS before hand.