Application Process!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
dee06

Re: Application Process!

Post by dee06 » 22 Sep 2020, 15:43

Hello everyone,

I was shortlisted for a consultancy at the UNDP and they asked me to send a technical and financial proposal to further evaluate my application but I haven't heard back from them yet and it's been three weeks now. Is anyone here familiar with this process?

I had a consulting job with the UNS in the past and the application/evaluation process was much faster than this one.

Thank you!

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 23 Sep 2020, 20:08

I'm wondering if someone may have some good advice for me.

I'm a UNV for 1 year and 9 months now, at P2 with UNHCR. If I'm offered a UNOPS P3 contract with UNHCR short term (3 months), what do you guys feel I should do? Continue with UNV or take the P3 UNOPS contract (IICA-2)?

Grateful for any advice.

dee06

Post by dee06 » 23 Sep 2020, 21:48

@starryhindsight I'd take the UNOPS P3 in a heartbeat mainly because I am interested in UNOPS. Of course, responsibilities of the role, location, duration, and your career goals should be considered when choosing a role but I feel that UNOPS is a bit of an upgrade and an opportunity to "diversify" your UN experience. Let us know what you end up choosing!

simkas

Post by simkas » 23 Sep 2020, 21:51

starryhindsight wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 20:08
a

I'm a UNV for 1 year and 9 months now, at P2 with UNHCR. If I'm offered a UNOPS P3 contract with UNHCR short term (3 months), what do you guys feel I should do? Continue with UNV or take the P3 UNOPS contract (IICA-2)?

Grateful for any advice.
Hey,

is it P3 or IICA-2 at UNOPS? note that it is not the same contract modality.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 24 Sep 2020, 05:09

I just checked, you are right it's actually an IICA-2, just that the description explains it's P3 responsibilities. They're both with UNHCR.

lubeto

Post by lubeto » 24 Sep 2020, 11:37

starryhindsight wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 20:08

Grateful for any advice.
Hey Starryhindshight, hope you`re doing well

just wanted to share my opinion as well, is the p3 contract extendable beyond the 3 months (as you know most of the contract as listed as a "possible for extension") if yes, go for the p3 position as it is indeed an upgrade. If no,you need to consider your options after those 3 months expire....i had an option during my tenure as an UNV to go for a consultancy with another UN office and rejected it but before doing so as it was only for 4 months and i knew that it will be difficult for me to secure another after the consultancy . Also, how long do you have left with your UNV posting?

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 24 Sep 2020, 14:09

I have 3 months left in my UNV posting (which means the UNV and the UNOPS might end at the same time anyway), but the likelihood of getting the UNV extended is pretty high, and UNHCR anyway gives internal status after 3 years of UNV/UNOPS which is a great reason to try to get a contract lasting as long as I can.
I think the UNOPS contract is a great option and also show I can get something else beyond UNV but there's a risk to try to find something else in such a short period of time.. I wish it's longer than 3 months then it's at least a better calculated risk.

But in any case I'll ask more questions about the possibility to extend work under the UNOPS contract.

Mer

Post by Mer » 26 Sep 2020, 15:30

Hello hopefuls,

I wanted to share my experience with UNODC since I haven’t found any other posts about this specific UN agency. Here is my timeline for a P3 position:
- I applied in January
- Job closed in February
- Heard nothing until finally, I got an email inviting me to an exam in April. The exam was scheduled 1 week after the e-mail.
- I got an other email inviting me to an interview in May (5 weeks after submitting my exam). The interview was scheduled 1 week after the email. It went very well and I was told to expect an answer in July at the latest.
-Reached out several times to HR and to the Project Coordinator from June to September. Each time I was told to wait a little bit longer.
- Out of the blue, I received an email from the project coordinator mid-September asking me if I was interested in the same position in another field station. I responded right away and applied to the second position.
- FINALLY received an email end of September telling me that I was rostered, 4 months after the interview.

I’m now waiting to hear back from the second position, fingers crossed!

In total, I applied to about 45 positions in the span of 1 year. More then half where filled by roster. Small number are showing “recruitment finished”. Others are still open.

My inspira showed “under review” until I saw that I was rostered. The changed happened on Inspira before (24h) I receive the email letting me know, so I think checking inspira frequently gives you the most recent and accurate information.

I hope this helps!

bmoi

Post by bmoi » 28 Sep 2020, 09:11

Thank you MER for sharing. It is always helpful to get additional information to get further understanding and appreciation on the current process during these unclear times. I myself have been invited for a couple of tests and have not passed that stage yet. I am hopeful i will get there eventually. You should be proud that you have gotten so far and that you are very close. Goodluck, its only a matter of time and having a bit of patience.

Regards

Mer

Post by Mer » 28 Nov 2020, 15:45

Mer wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 15:30
Hello hopefuls,

I wanted to share my experience with UNODC since I haven’t found any other posts about this specific UN agency. Here is my timeline for a P3 position:
- I applied in January
- Job closed in February
- Heard nothing until finally, I got an email inviting me to an exam in April. The exam was scheduled 1 week after the e-mail.
- I got an other email inviting me to an interview in May (5 weeks after submitting my exam). The interview was scheduled 1 week after the email. It went very well and I was told to expect an answer in July at the latest.
-Reached out several times to HR and to the Project Coordinator from June to September. Each time I was told to wait a little bit longer.
- Out of the blue, I received an email from the project coordinator mid-September asking me if I was interested in the same position in another field station. I responded right away and applied to the second position.
- FINALLY received an email end of September telling me that I was rostered, 4 months after the interview.

I’m now waiting to hear back from the second position, fingers crossed!

In total, I applied to about 45 positions in the span of 1 year. More then half where filled by roster. Small number are showing “recruitment finished”. Others are still open.

My inspira showed “under review” until I saw that I was rostered. The changed happened on Inspira before (24h) I receive the email letting me know, so I think checking inspira frequently gives you the most recent and accurate information.

I hope this helps!
Here is a follow up on the second position (also P3). Because it closed one day before I got rostered for the first position, I cannot be considered as a roster applicant for this one, I had to redo the whole thing. However, I'm confident because the program coordinator reached out to me and asked me to apply for this position (has this happened to anyone else?).

Here a timeline so far for this one.
- Position closed at end of September
- Invitation to a written exam 4 weeks after the position closed. The exam was by email and had 2 questions to be answered in the two required languages. It was the exact SAME questions then for the previous posting (in which I succeeded) so I'm feeling confident.
- If they follow the same timeline, I'm expecting to hear back from them next week or the one after that for an interview (hopefully before the holidays)

Will keep you posted!

As for the roster process:
Since I have been rostered (end of September) there have been 12 openings on my roster. I applied for 8 (the other ones I did not meet all the requirements, even if I'm rostered in that category). Out of the 8, two have been filled by other roster applicants, 6 are still pending.