UN Volunteering

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
kristenz

Re: UN Volunteering

Post by kristenz » 28 Aug 2019, 07:57

johne wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 19:30
Grace wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 05:01
johne wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 13:12
Hello,

Can someone please help me in filling out the profile for UNV? I've been applying for UNv positions for the last 2 years (checking the website on the daily basis) and i've only been long listed for ONE in South Sudan. Clearly i am doing something wrong. I have been long-listed for the position on UN Inspira, went to interview stages in OSCE and other NGO agencies but for some reason not so successful on UNV website.

I have BA (currently pursuing MBA), fluent in two UN official languages, have 5 years of project management experience, 3 years of Federal Government experience, i have worked overseas when i was a student. I believe that i should get at least long-listed for SOME positions in the last 2 years :(

Johne, you could have been longlisted for many UNV positions without your knowledge. Sometimes the recruiter at UNV HQ will send your profile to the hiring manager without sending you an email. Then its up to the hiring manager if they are courteous enough to tell you that you haven't been selected.

For example, I received rejection email from UNHCR for a UNV position in May and again in June. I didn't even know I had been long listed/shortlisted for those UNV positions.

Apart from age, your *Gender also plays a part depending on the particular field unit the UNV position is located. Not just the regional office
Interesting.
I have one assignment in "Your assignment proposals" but i have not received any emails about this. Does this mean i have been long-listed?
Yes this is my question too... one assignment appearing in "My assignment proposals" but I have not received an email. What does this mean?

johne

Post by johne » 28 Aug 2019, 18:55

H.O.P wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 13:19
johne wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 19:28
H.O.P wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 06:34

To add to what Jane said, age could also play a role in your UNV applications. Yes, the website says otherwise but I have been privy to recruitment that because of age (depending on what positions you're applying) the hiring manager won't pick you. Also, try adjusting your profile to highlight key requirement in the Special Calls/positions advertised. It took me a while to also get my first UNV assignment, this is how the UN works sometimes.
Regarding age, do you mean they prefer older/younger individuals? I am turning 30 in a couple of months. Is that a good age or no? Thank you for your input.
Yes. For example mid 40s to 50s.
Are you serious? Then why do they write that it requires Bachelor and 2-3 years of experience for most of the UN Volunteer postings?
Why would a mid 40 to 50 year old individual with a career quit his/her job and do a volunteering post for 6 months?
That does not make any sense to me.

johne

Post by johne » 29 Aug 2019, 12:13

johne wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 18:55
H.O.P wrote:
johne wrote:

Regarding age, do you mean they prefer older/younger individuals? I am turning 30 in a couple of months. Is that a good age or no? Thank you for your input.
Are you serious? Then why do they write that it requires Bachelor and 2-3 years of experience for most of the UN Volunteer postings?
Why would a mid 40 to 50 year old individual with a career quit his/her job and do a volunteering post for 6 months?
I am sorry, i did not mean to sound rude or mean, i am just shocked.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 29 Aug 2019, 12:39

johne wrote:
H.O.P wrote:
johne wrote:

Unfortunately, after being here I have seen a lot more people within these age range as UNVs mid to late 30s and 40s-50s too. Even doing the maximum number of years (4 years and sometimes more). I am the youngest where I am.
Again the UN mostly just specifies minimum requirements, but usually hires the best (in terms of years of experience and education).
People have different reasons for quitting their job, one being that the UNV allowance is better than what they actually earn or that they want a way into the UN or they assume UNV is a proper job. Depends on who you talk too.

johne

Post by johne » 29 Aug 2019, 13:08

H.O.P wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 12:39
johne wrote:
H.O.P wrote:

Unfortunately, after being here I have seen a lot more people within these age range as UNVs mid to late 30s and 40s-50s too. Even doing the maximum number of years (4 years and sometimes more). I am the youngest where I am.
Again the UN mostly just specifies minimum requirements, but usually hires the best (in terms of years of experience and education).
People have different reasons for quitting their job, one being that the UNV allowance is better than what they actually earn or that they want a way into the UN or they assume UNV is a proper job. Depends on who you talk too.
That is fair. I mean yeah, i am judging from North American perspective but in a lot of other countries people in their senior career make far less than the UNV allowance. That is fair but it is still very surprising. Thank you for you answer. Are you a UNV or professional staff now?

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 29 Aug 2019, 13:22

johne wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 13:08
H.O.P wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 12:39
johne wrote:

That is fair. I mean yeah, i am judging from North American perspective but in a lot of other countries people in their senior career make far less than the UNV allowance. That is fair but it is still very surprising. Thank you for you answer. Are you a UNV or professional staff now?
Started my UNV early this year.

tji6

Post by tji6 » 29 Aug 2019, 16:25

Hey guys, I was shortlisted for a UNV position, I got an interview in the end of July and since then, I'm still waiting on a response.
(Though the interviewer did say "enjoy your summer").
But my question is that under my assignment proposal, it's just a blank. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Grace

Post by Grace » 29 Aug 2019, 17:19

H.O.P when you say hiring manager, do you mean the Program Manager in the regional office where the assignment is located?

In your experience, is it the local offices that prefer to hire more applicants in their 40s and 50s to join them? I can picture that.

So your luck depends on where you will be located.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 29 Aug 2019, 18:58

Grace wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 17:19
H.O.P when you say hiring manager, do you mean the Program Manager in the regional office where the assignment is located?

In your experience, is it the local offices that prefer to hire more applicants in their 40s and 50s to join them? I can picture that.

So your luck depends on where you will be located.
The person responsible for your hiring. Could be the team leader of a section/director .

Lin

Post by Lin » 31 Aug 2019, 05:27

Dear fellows, has anyone applied for the UNFPA's 'Data Fellow' UNV programme?