Reference Checking

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
NevKen

Re: Reference Checking

Post by NevKen » 24 Sep 2018, 17:14

Ndechitu wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:50
NevKen wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:25
Ndechitu wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:09
After getting a letter of offer today, the HR Office has requested for an employment record from my last employer. Is this the same as requesting for a letter of recommendation from my current employer?
I do not know anything about your 'last employer' but if I understand from what you said, I can say that the HR want to verify the times you spent with your last employer to what you have mentioned in your PHP (calculation of number of years/months/days - may be to see if they keep things on merit among other applicants).
Hello NevKen,

So I spent 8 years with the previous employer and now 10 months with my current employer. Is it better to request for letters of recommendation from both?
Actually it is always good to have the recommendation letters secured upon leaving a company, as there are few details on it like the time you spent (from/to) apart few other details that your job leaving certificate does not cover and that can be some words from the issuing authority depending on the size/structure of the organization/company.

Again depending the organization size/structure, you never know how many more people leave that organization with whom you worked. Now in case, if those people also left that company then you cannot expect the same treatment from people working there as they know nothing about you.

I would recommend to have those letters but also have more feedback to your original question here (another perspective) ...

Murman

Post by Murman » 24 Sep 2018, 17:26

Sebastian wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 08:49

What are your experiences out there? What references were you asked to provide? What did people say?
Hi Sebastian,

My experience was with the FAO just over two years ago. I had my video conference interview with a panel in Rome, and a few days later I received an email asking if it was okay to contact my references. I asked if they needed to speak to my current employer at this stage and they said no. They contacted my previous three employers (they didn't ask for a separate list of references). I know that two gave stellar reviews. I am not sure if they managed to reach the third employer or not - I am thinking not.

So, I was feeling quite good about it all but then was met with two months of silence. Finally, I heard back that I did not get the position but was placed on the roster. My assumption from that is that they contacted references for several candidates, and likely had their number one choice already in mind when they began that process. Perhaps I was a backup in case the references didn't check out for the desired candidate?

It was tough to get so far in the process and then not get the offer, but it certainly was a learning experience!

Anyone else out there have their references contacted but not get the offer in the end?

Ndechitu

Post by Ndechitu » 24 Sep 2018, 17:45

NevKen wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 17:14
Ndechitu wrote:
NevKen wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:25

I do not know anything about your 'last employer' but if I understand from what you said, I can say that the HR want to verify the times you spent with your last employer to what you have mentioned in your PHP (calculation of number of years/months/days - may be to see if they keep things on merit among other applicants).
Hello NevKen,

So I spent 8 years with the previous employer and now 10 months with my current employer. Is it better to request for letters of recommendation from both?
Actually it is always good to have the recommendation letters secured upon leaving a company, as there are few details on it like the time you spent (from/to) apart few other details that your job leaving certificate does not cover and that can be some words from the issuing authority depending on the size/structure of the organization/company.

Again depending the organization size/structure, you never know how many more people leave that organization with whom you worked. Now in case, if those people also left that company then you cannot expect the same treatment from people working there as they know nothing about you.

I would recommend to have those letters but also have more feedback to your original question here (another perspective) ...
Thank you NevKen. What if a previous employer isn't available to fill the Reference check form sent to them? Will the letter of recommendation do?

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 24 Sep 2018, 18:15

Ndechitu wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 17:45
NevKen wrote:
Ndechitu wrote:
Thank you NevKen. What if a previous employer isn't available to fill the Reference check form sent to them? Will the letter of recommendation do?
It's always good to check with your referee, explain the current situation, and get their consent before you mention the reference to HR (UN or other) otherwise you are only creating a confusion for HR and making your chances thin to get the job.

Remember you have mentioned the references in your PHP while creating it (an year ago or more), without the section the PHP considered incomplete. Now upon your recent success, the UN HR approaches you for reference checks, you have a chance to update them (you may have forgotten to update the reference section) so it is your chance to change/give more references who can talk about you in relation to the job in question.

I cannot say a recommendation letter will work in absence of referees, that is totally on HR to decide.

Ndechitu

Post by Ndechitu » 24 Sep 2018, 19:59

NevKen wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 18:15
Ndechitu wrote:
NevKen wrote:

It's always good to check with your referee, explain the current situation, and get their consent before you mention the reference to HR (UN or other) otherwise you are only creating a confusion for HR and making your chances thin to get the job.

Remember you have mentioned the references in your PHP while creating it (an year ago or more), without the section the PHP considered incomplete. Now upon your recent success, the UN HR approaches you for reference checks, you have a chance to update them (you may have forgotten to update the reference section) so it is your chance to change/give more references who can talk about you in relation to the job in question.

I cannot say a recommendation letter will work in absence of referees, that is totally on HR to decide.
Talked to two recent referees and they are okay with it. Thank you NevKen.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 24 Sep 2018, 21:23

Ndechitu wrote:
All the best !

Ndechitu

Post by Ndechitu » 24 Sep 2018, 22:05

NevKen wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 21:23
Ndechitu wrote:
All the best !
Much appreciated NevKen. I just realized that they only need a copy of my degree certificate, verification and employment record from my last employer who is my current employer. Was a bit anxious.

Pman

Post by Pman » 26 Sep 2018, 09:16

[
quote=Sebastian post_id=491 time=1537734470 user_id=48]
Pman wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 15:43
Thanks Mr. Sabastian for making this a topic for discourse. I keep wondering does the UN take into account the quality of a referee and by 'quality' I mean the seniority level of a supervisor providing reference for a candidate. My assumption is this, a candidate might have a supervisor who is not too knowledgeable in a particular field but at the end gives a fantastic report while another at a very senior level might decide to give an average report to a supervisee possibly because of his exposure and experience level. I know this happens but how does the UN take into account of such case?
References are typically to check how team work, work ethics, UN values, collaboration etc. has worked in the past and don't typically query technical skills. So the seniority of a supervisor is less important than the ability to say something meaningful about who you are.

Having said this, it is always better to use somebody that has a respected professional standing over - say - your football coach.
Secondly, do all recommended candidate get their education certificates checked at the point of checking with their supervisor?
Let's discuss this more: I think there are different experiences out there. Sometimes yes, sometimes no...
Thirdly, what happens to a top candidate who gets a not-too-good report from 2 out of 3 previous/current supervisors?
Also this is worth a discussion. A bad reference itself is not the end of the world. But it depends on what kind of feedback and by how many folks the feedback is. Don't think the hiring managers are naive: they assume you put your best references forward. If they just check with a random supervisor they understand that sometimes the team dynamics are not perfect. Personally, if I hear "I never liked the guy" I don't care too much. That kind of thing happens. But if I hear "the person had integrity challenges" I would like to understand more and get a sense for what was going on...
Lastly, typically how long does it take to get a feedback (+ve or -ve )after reference check by the UN
That's really hard to say. Shortest I have seen is a few hours. Longest I have heard of is years...
[/quote]

Thanks Sabastian. This is helpful

wlimiadyx

Post by wlimiadyx » 27 Sep 2018, 14:52

Murman wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 17:26

Hi Sebastian,

My experience was with the FAO just over two years ago. I had my video conference interview with a panel in Rome, and a few days later I received an email asking if it was okay to contact my references. I asked if they needed to speak to my current employer at this stage and they said no. They contacted my previous three employers (they didn't ask for a separate list of references). I know that two gave stellar reviews. I am not sure if they managed to reach the third employer or not - I am thinking not.

So, I was feeling quite good about it all but then was met with two months of silence. Finally, I heard back that I did not get the position but was placed on the roster. My assumption from that is that they contacted references for several candidates, and likely had their number one choice already in mind when they began that process. Perhaps I was a backup in case the references didn't check out for the desired candidate?

It was tough to get so far in the process and then not get the offer, but it certainly was a learning experience!

Anyone else out there have their references contacted but not get the offer in the end?
Hi Murman,

Could you specify which FAO position did you apply two years ago? I'm currently in that one-month-silence purgatory phase and my references haven't been reached out despite Recruitment Team's confirmation about contacting so soon. I constantly checked with my supervisors (I submitted four names) if they had received any email for reference checking and there has been none to date.

My timeline goes as follows:

- Submitted my application on the 1st week of May 2018 and deadline on the 4th week.
- Panel interview with FAO Rome via Skype on 1st week of August
- Asking for reference check on 4th week of August
Cheers

Will

Murman

Post by Murman » 28 Sep 2018, 14:06

wlimiadyx wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 14:52
Murman wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 17:26

Hi Murman,

Could you specify which FAO position did you apply two years ago? I'm currently in that one-month-silence purgatory phase and my references haven't been reached out despite Recruitment Team's confirmation about contacting so soon. I constantly checked with my supervisors (I submitted four names) if they had received any email for reference checking and there has been none to date.

My timeline goes as follows:

- Submitted my application on the 1st week of May 2018 and deadline on the 4th week.
- Panel interview with FAO Rome via Skype on 1st week of August
- Asking for reference check on 4th week of August
Hi Will,

It was a P4 communications position. I received word just a few days after my skype panel interview that they would contact my references, and I know that they were contacted very soon after - within the next couple of days I think.

Happy to answer any other questions about the recruitment process. I have been through two that made it right up to the very end and was not the selected candidate, so maybe my experiences (I likely mistakes!) can help others!

Murman