Reference Checking

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Anja

Re: Reference Checking

Post by Anja » 11 Oct 2018, 05:14

Ndechitu wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:50
NevKen wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:25
Ndechitu wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:09
After getting a letter of offer today, the HR Office has requested for an employment record from my last employer. Is this the same as requesting for a letter of recommendation from my current employer?
I do not know anything about your 'last employer' but if I understand from what you said, I can say that the HR want to verify the times you spent with your last employer to what you have mentioned in your PHP (calculation of number of years/months/days - may be to see if they keep things on merit among other applicants).
Hello NevKen,

So I spent 8 years with the previous employer and now 10 months with my current employer. Is it better to request for letters of recommendation from both?
Why not both?

wlimiadyx

Post by wlimiadyx » 16 Oct 2018, 10:32

Hello,

I'm nudging everyone in this forum again as I need your much valued feedback.

I have been informed by my 3 supervisors that they had received reference check from HRM. Two of them have submitted their forms last week (as I was informed) but one of them just had personal incident which might delay submission, or worst, not at all. I don't have heart to remind him about my reference check as it would be inappropriate.

Should I notify HRM about this and will it impact their overall assessment towards me?

Lastly, as I understand from conservation in this forum, normally there are two outcomes for those reaching this stage: getting hired or rostered. Does silent treatment mean I don't get any of those?

Thank you folks.
Cheers

Will

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 16 Oct 2018, 11:48

wlimiadyx wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 10:32
I have been informed by my 3 supervisors that they had received reference check from HRM. Two of them have submitted their forms last week (as I was informed) but one of them just had personal incident which might delay submission, or worst, not at all. I don't have heart to remind him about my reference check as it would be inappropriate. Should I notify HRM about this and will it impact their overall assessment towards me?
It's a complicated issue, you already have provided UNHRM with what they asked for (reference list), your job is done here. If you can influence your referees, indirectly means you can influence what they comment about you as well - not a good sign. However, you can always contact the UNHRM team whom you sent the list (in email) and inquire about if they have received the references from all referees, incase they did not received yet, ask their permission if you can contact your referees and request them to expedite the issue. or just in case provide UNHRM an alternative reference explaining, you heard one of your referee is not available.
wlimiadyx wrote:
Lastly, as I understand from conservation in this forum, normally there are two outcomes for those reaching this stage: getting hired or rostered. Does silent treatment mean I don't get any of those?
There are only two outcomes Yes/No. Yes = the candidate is recommended to be selected for the vacancy, Yes the recommended candidate is finally hired, however due to any changes in circumstances the selected/recommended candidate could not be hired therefore listed on the roster. No = there were no grounds/no recommendations to roster the remaining candidate.

chesnevs

Post by chesnevs » 16 Oct 2018, 14:11

Hello people!

You are tired of such recurring questions, I know.
My situation is:
I was asked to contact my supervisors after the second interview, later I was asked to explain the gap in my career. It's been two weeks since the last request.
From previous messages here, I realized that this wait after a video conference can be very long (the position was opened in early March, my first pre - end of August, a video-conference - end of September), but I also knew from recruitment webinars that the hiring process takes up to 6 to 9 months.
Should I just calm down and wait?
I was offered another job, so this waiting period has become very tense.

Thank you in advance!

wlimiadyx

Post by wlimiadyx » 17 Oct 2018, 01:03

NevKen wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 11:48
It's a complicated issue, you already have provided UNHRM with what they asked for (reference list), your job is done here. If you can influence your referees, indirectly means you can influence what they comment about you as well - not a good sign. However, you can always contact the UNHRM team whom you sent the list (in email) and inquire about if they have received the references from all referees, incase they did not received yet, ask their permission if you can contact your referees and request them to expedite the issue. or just in case provide UNHRM an alternative reference explaining, you heard one of your referee is not available.
Thanks NevKen. Really appreciate your advice as always! I guess I will wait until end of this week to see if my referee managed to submit and notify me about the reference check. When nothing happens, I'll contact the HRM team.
NevKen wrote:
There are only two outcomes Yes/No. Yes = the candidate is recommended to be selected for the vacancy, Yes the recommended candidate is finally hired, however due to any changes in circumstances the selected/recommended candidate could not be hired therefore listed on the roster. No = there were no grounds/no recommendations to roster the remaining candidate.
Duly noted. Will they proceed and make decision based on incomplete reference check (2 out 3) - any threshold here? Or will they sort-of wait until all considered candidates have exactly 3 references as required?

Pardon my bombardment of questions but I have no other platform to go to! This is truly working like a counseling centre for UN-addict like me :)
Cheers

Will

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 17 Oct 2018, 09:35

wlimiadyx wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 01:03
Duly noted. Will they proceed and make decision based on incomplete reference check (2 out 3) - any threshold here? Or will they sort-of wait until all considered candidates have exactly 3 references as required?

I cannot say for sure what happens next. Logically, if they are unable to contact the referee, they must asks you to provide with third alternative referee (if three references are a must). This is a mere assumption, only the HR team in question can answer.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 17 Oct 2018, 09:45

chesnevs wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 14:11
Should I just calm down and wait? I was offered another job, so this waiting period has become very tense.
Patience is the best way forward, in case you have been offered another job - go for it (one in hand is always better then two in bushes) You can always update the UNHRM team with your availability date (extend your availability date at Inspira - only - if you sign the other contract), If the job you applied for at UN has your name on it, then nothing can go wrong no-matter what you do.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 17 Oct 2018, 17:49

NevKen wrote:
wlimiadyx wrote:
I have been informed by my 3 supervisors that they had received reference check from HRM. Two of them have submitted their forms last week (as I was informed) but one of them just had personal incident which might delay submission, or worst, not at all. I don't have heart to remind him about my reference check as it would be inappropriate. Should I notify HRM about this and will it impact their overall assessment towards me?
I would very much want to echo this! Don't tell HR that you know that one of the references can't reply right now. I would let HR run the process. From own experience I know that it can take a moment to chase-up references and while I always expect immediate/prompt action by the candidate herself (she chose to apply to the job!) I can't hold it against the candidate when his references don't react immediately. If I need more / different references, I will ask for me. It would be a red flag for me, if a candidate would get back to me after I have contacted a reference...
wlimiadyx wrote:
I have also seen other reference forms that focus on UN values, making sure that there is nothing in the character of a person that would prevent hiring etc. A reference check typically doesn't win you the job, it reconfirms to the hiring manager that you are indeed the right person for the job.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

mdr

Post by mdr » 22 Oct 2018, 15:01

Thought I'd share my experience with the reference checking at the FAO for the benefit of Will and others who are interested.

Like Will, I was requested for 3 references about a month after the 2nd interview. However, I received the email of appointment a month after that and my references had not been contacted which I thought was strange. I even thought maybe they had skipped the process entirely. I did ask someone from the UN whether the references made a difference and she told me it didn't (at least not to the UN org she's in). She just mentioned how it's just the organisation's way of double-checking the candidate whom they had already decided on beforehand. The process only began after I had accepted the electronic offer on Taleo. Only 2 of the 3 references informed me about it. They had to fill out a form and submit by email (done pretty much as soon as they got it). I'm not sure if the FAO had contacted a 3rd. I checked with my last employer and he told me he wasn't contacted while another reference I had in mind (my UN internship supervisor) has not replied to any of my own emails (even before the application process).

Here's the thing- the references they did contact were both from my short-term contracts. Both are from the UN. I'm not sure if this is relevant.. Well, I certainly would have thought my last previous employer would have been at the top of the list but perhaps they thought for the relevance of the position, they'd rather check in with fellow UN employees? In any case, I have already started my on-boarding process.

Btw, thought this may be useful https://www.unjiu.org/sites/www.unjiu.o ... nglish.pdf It's from 2013 so information may be outdated. According to the report, the FAO conducts their reference by phone call which wasn't the case with mine. Skip to the Annex 1 on page 30 for the table. And this one may be helpful too: http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/pu ... 021833.pdf

atmonarman

Post by atmonarman » 22 Oct 2018, 16:04

In my case it was really strange. I was placed for the interview, and they warned me they would contact my first reference. They did, but later on, for other reasons, the interview got post-poned over and over again, and still has not taken place (this was some 5 months ago). So the reference checking in my case was before the interview.