Reference Checking

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
mdr

Re: Reference Checking

Post by mdr » 24 Oct 2018, 05:51

Update: I went back and checked my previous correspondence with HR regarding the reference request and it turns out they only needed 2 references (out of 3).

wlimiadyx

Post by wlimiadyx » 24 Oct 2018, 06:57

Thanks mdr for your chronological explanation and useful links!

I still have not heard any updates from HRM to date so I hypothesise that they did reference checking to all interviewed candidates as a preemptive move? Apart from mdr, I found other JPO aspirants who had got into interview phase was also asked to update referees' contacts on PPF.

Anyway, I have decided to stop following up to HRM since there is not much I can do at this stage. But I would keep seeking other opportunities as advised :D

Thanks for all the positive vibes, folks.
Cheers

Will

chokuda

Post by chokuda » 09 Nov 2018, 11:03

Its now 30 working days since my referees were contacted at UNDP but I haven't heard from UNDP ever since. How long does it take to hear back after reference checking?

Thank you,

Tinoda

cherrygirl

Post by cherrygirl » 19 Feb 2019, 02:01

chokuda wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:03
Its now 30 working days since my referees were contacted at UNDP but I haven't heard from UNDP ever since. How long does it take to hear back after reference checking?

Thank you,

Tinoda
Hi, did you hear back anything from UNDP?

Jeff

Post by Jeff » 09 Mar 2019, 16:31

Hello all,
Please share your opinion about unfpa reference check process. I applied for a G level position at unfpa on last November. After one written and two face to face interview I was asked to submit my reference for check. They told me it is not mandatory to put my current supervisor as reference. My question is at what point of recruiting process, UN contact candidates' present employers?

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 09 Mar 2019, 16:48

Jeff wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 16:31
Hello all,
Please share your opinion about unfpa reference check process. I applied for a G level position at unfpa on last November. After one written and two face to face interview I was asked to submit my reference for check. They told me it is not mandatory to put my current supervisor as reference. My question is at what point of recruiting process, UN contact candidates' present employers?
Reference check is the last process before job is offered. No need to be alarmed if they are not interested in your current employer. Any reliable reference will work. It's up to you if you want to add your current employer name as a referee.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » 09 Mar 2019, 17:05

Thank you NevKen for this information. I was a bit tensed. When I applied online, I had to submit my current supervisor name and contact info. Is it normal for UN recruitment process not to contact with present employer or do they contact after candidate's joining?

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 09 Mar 2019, 18:21

Jeff wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 17:05
Thank you NevKen for this information. I was a bit tensed. When I applied online, I had to submit my current supervisor name and contact info. Is it normal for UN recruitment process not to contact with present employer or do they contact after candidate's joining?
If you get into carving for details, it's complicated and complex. Let me be straight, there are 1000s of applicants for each specific vacancy announcement and a far bigger volume of candidate profiles/PHPs with the UN (remember one organization and applicants from 198 countries). Several of PHPs are created for years and every day many new create their PHP at UN HR Portals. Now if you recall (PHP is incomplete without adding reference section and at many platforms one cannot submit the PHP unless all sections are completed properly).

We normally don't update references section every other day as we may sometimes update other information. One reason for UN routine to ask for updated references at the last minute just before they offer the job.

So they will contact the ones you mention them now....

Malvina

Post by Malvina » 12 Mar 2019, 08:12

Hello! I would like to share my experience too and ask for your feedback. I had an interview with WHO in the 3rd week of February. Before the interview they asked me to provide 3 references and I did so. I think that I did very well at the interview (and they seemed that they liked me), but I do understand that other candidates may have done very well too. They told me that I would hear from them in approximately 2 weeks. So, there is silence since then. My references are not yet contacted and I have not received any emails. What does it mean?
And another question: Is there a difference between fixed-term and temporary positions in terms of reference checking?
Thank you in advance!

Malvina

cdt2

Post by cdt2 » 03 Apr 2019, 12:02

Hello, folks.

I have recently been interviewed for a position at UNICEF. Does anyone know how long it will take before they reach out to the references? Do they ask for your permission before they do?
Where I work now it is pretty fast so it worries me that it's not happening...

Please share your experience.

Cheers,
cd