Geneva - recommended to live in France?

Discuss different duty stations including living conditions, where to find what, advantages and disadvantage here.
AgnesP

Geneva - recommended to live in France?

Post by AgnesP » 28 Oct 2018, 07:03

Great site - thank you very much. I see there are lots of openings listed: https://unjoblist.org/lists/DutyStation/Geneva - so Geneva seems to be a hub for UN activities.

For my family, I would like to know if you recommend me to live in Geneva or in France? I hear Geneva is more expensive? Are the impacts on my entitlements if I live in France?

NevKen

Re: Geneva - recommended to live in France?

Post by NevKen » 28 Oct 2018, 09:52

AgnesP wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 07:03
Great site - thank you very much. I see there are lots of openings listed: https://unjoblist.org/lists/DutyStation/Geneva - so Geneva seems to be a hub for UN activities. For my family, I would like to know if you recommend me to live in Geneva or in France? I hear Geneva is more expensive? Are the impacts on my entitlements if I live in France?
Expensiveness is taken care by the UN through 'Post Adjustment'. So the employee can concentrate on job rather an expensive drum constantly beating in the back of head of an employee, limiting his/her output.

Geneva is a capital of Geneve region, the region with a common border to France. There is a lot of countryside before one see Lyon (the nearest big city - when you leave your kids somewhere, you need easy & fast access). You know better where you want to place your family (the environment to grow). Also you must narrow down, France is a big country.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 28 Oct 2018, 17:36

NevKen wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 09:52
Expensiveness is taken care by the UN through 'Post Adjustment'. So the employee can concentrate on job rather an expensive drum constantly beating in the back of head of an employee, limiting his/her output.

Geneva is a capital of Geneve region, the region with a common border to France. There is a lot of countryside before one see Lyon (the nearest big city - when you leave your kids somewhere, you need easy & fast access). You know better where you want to place your family (the environment to grow). Also you must narrow down, France is a big country.
Thanks @NevKen! Maybe just to point out that Geneva is an interesting case when it comes to Post Adjustment as there was a lot of noise there last year due to the changes in the way that ICSC had proposed the Post Adjustment to go forward in Geneva (I'm not going to link to the articles about this topic which are out there since the "no politics" rule apply to me, too).
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

WJRogers

Post by WJRogers » 30 Oct 2018, 11:00

Living in France is, in general, cheaper than living in Switzerland. This is especially true for accommodation - renting or buying. However, prices in neighbouring French areas (Pays de Gex or Haute Savoie) have increased and are not cheap in any case. Somethings (electronic goods) even seem to be cheaper in Switzerland. Travelling in to Geneva is often problematic due to the large number of cars entering and leaving every day at a limited number of border crossing points, with often long traffic jams forming in the mornings entering and in the evenings leaving; and public transport serving France and coming in to Geneva is absolutely inadequate. If you prefer to avoid this commuting and car use, and benefit from all the amenities and social life Geneva has to offer, I would recommend living in the city or slightly further away in an area served by a train service.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 03 Nov 2018, 07:08

WJRogers wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 11:00
Living in France is, in general, cheaper than living in Switzerland. This is especially true for accommodation - renting or buying. However, prices in neighbouring French areas (Pays de Gex or Haute Savoie) have increased and are not cheap in any case. Somethings (electronic goods) even seem to be cheaper in Switzerland. Travelling in to Geneva is often problematic due to the large number of cars entering and leaving every day at a limited number of border crossing points, with often long traffic jams forming in the mornings entering and in the evenings leaving; and public transport serving France and coming in to Geneva is absolutely inadequate. If you prefer to avoid this commuting and car use, and benefit from all the amenities and social life Geneva has to offer, I would recommend living in the city or slightly further away in an area served by a train service.
Thanks so much for your contribution! Would you be able to share some more information about the rental situation / the schooling in Geneva? I had colleagues complaining about an accelerating escalation of rental costs but am not sure if that is accurate.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.