New york post conditions

Discuss different duty stations including living conditions, where to find what, advantages and disadvantage here.
Cha

New york post conditions

Post by Cha » 13 Aug 2018, 00:15

Could someone advise what the conditions are for P3-5 level employees at the New York post - I.e. what's the take home pay, living arrangements for families etc.

Anja

Re: New york post conditions

Post by Anja » 13 Aug 2018, 03:48

Hi,

What do you mean with living arrangements?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 13 Aug 2018, 05:59

Impossible is nothing and yes, outsiders are joining in NY, too. However, your question is quite generic and the competition in attractive duty stations is fierce. Which agency/area are you interested in?
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Cha

Post by Cha » 16 Aug 2018, 09:05

Thanks Sebastian. I'm looking at P3-5 roles within the Political, Peace and Humanitarian job network. With almost 10yrs background in foreign policy and global governance, this area would be best suited.

Any contacts at these levels I could PM who would help people navigate the system?

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 16 Aug 2018, 11:49

Cha wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 09:05
Any contacts at these levels I could PM who would help people navigate the system?
I doubt if any UN personnel help others to navigate the system, after all the mere fact UN exists is global governance and transparency. But if you are looking for assistance on every step of the UN HRM System, you are at the right place already.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 16 Aug 2018, 12:18

Hi Cha,

your request is still rather broad - just in terms of seniority there is a huge gap between a P3 and a P5 (don't be fooled by the years of experience that are required at minimum). Also the topics you mention are pretty broad - if I search the UN Job List with them, I get the following:

https://unjoblist.org/results.php?kw=po ... Job=Search

Is this what you had in mind? You can see the jobs vary quite a bit - but let us know where your interest lies, what your experience is etc. and we might be able to give you some more pointers as to where to focus the search. Good luck!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Cha

Post by Cha » 19 Aug 2018, 01:42

Thanks Sebastian. What do you mean by "don't be fooled by the years of experience that are required at minimum"? I have 8 years public service experience, 7 years banking experience and 7 years executive NGO experience (volunteer).

Also how long does the application process take for the jobs in the link you provided?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 20 Aug 2018, 07:33

Cha wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 01:42
Thanks Sebastian. What do you mean by "don't be fooled by the years of experience that are required at minimum"?
The minimum years of experience are pretty much just an absolute minimum, as in "if you don't manage to scrape that together, then nobody even with the best intentions will be able to recruit you".

I wrote about this a few years ago here: https://www.rottmair.de/2011/01/04/cont ... un-system/

This is often a problem for P2-level jobs (P1 very rarely is used). P2 requires a Masters + 2/3 years of experience as many folks talk about the challenge to get to this kind of experience without being able to join. As things progress to be more senior, often the key word is "relevant" experience. This is getting much more tricky. If you were a programme officer for 10 years, the question is if that would qualify you for Director of ICT even if you have the number of years with professional experience.

I have 8 years public service experience, 7 years banking experience and 7 years executive NGO experience (volunteer).
It depends on the job, but I would make sure that from your profile / CV it is very clear how your experience is relevant. For instance, make sure that you showcase the aspects of you banking experience that are relevant to the job you apply to. Often this may work, sometimes the recruiters are pretty strict.

One thing to consider is also the competition for the job: if there are many folks applying to the same vacancy that have "perfectly matching" experience, then it might be tough.

On the volunteer experience: make sure you quantify your experience as best as you can. Sadly, many recruiters don't count volunteer experience (if it was unpaid/without a stipend). The more you can demonstrate this was an actual job with actual responsibilities, the better.
Also how long does the application process take for the jobs in the link you provided?
That varies greatly. Some places in the New York are super fast(1 months), some are taking literally years. If you browse on my blog and here on the forum, you will find many different stories...

Are you familiar with the different organisations and what they do? What resources have you gone through to make yourself familiar with the UN? Which of these resources do you think are most helpful?

Enigma

Post by Enigma » 20 Aug 2018, 10:09

Wanted to ask about this:
Sadly, many recruiters don't count volunteer experience (if it was unpaid/without a stipend).
What is the logic behind that, i.e. that only volunteer experience that is paid or with stipend is counted? Does this also apply to internship, i.e. that it is only considered if it was paid?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 20 Aug 2018, 11:47

Enigma wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 10:09
Wanted to ask about this:
Sadly, many recruiters don't count volunteer experience (if it was unpaid/without a stipend).
What is the logic behind that, i.e. that only volunteer experience that is paid or with stipend is counted? Does this also apply to internship, i.e. that it is only considered if it was paid?
Overall, I think UN Volunteers is doing a great job in trying to change global attitudes vis-a-vis volunteering and interning. I also think that the realities of the job market over the past decade have changed perceptions to the positive.

However, some recruiters / hiring managers consider volunteer experience as "less" than "regular" work experience with the argument that often internship assignments are less rigorously assessed than other jobs.

It gets more complicated if this was not full-time work: let's say you were volunteering as the head of the local children's sports club - a truly noble endeavor. So you spent the nights and weekends of years of your life supporting this club - how would you calculate that experience? If you compare it to a full-time employment?

So things quickly get complicated. A rule of thumb from my end is: put volunteer experience on your CV, put it into your profile but try to have enough relevant other work experience so that the way the hiring manager calculates your experience won't affect your eligibility in terms of required minimum experience (one more argument for my point that the minimum experience is often really the "absolute minimum"...)