New york post conditions

Discuss different duty stations including living conditions, where to find what, advantages and disadvantage here.
Enigma

Re: New york post conditions

Post by Enigma » 20 Aug 2018, 13:04

I get what you mean. I suppose then "serious" internships, where one works full-time and is paid, maybe considered but then again in the bigger picture, this is likely to be irrelevant as most UN internships are in any case 6 months or less.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 20 Aug 2018, 14:47

Enigma wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 13:04
I get what you mean. I suppose then "serious" internships, where one works full-time and is paid, maybe considered but then again in the bigger picture, this is likely to be irrelevant as most UN internships are in any case 6 months or less.
I would always encourage anybody to showcase factual and accurate information in the best possible light to make your case. And from that perspective, I would always mention / highlight relevant internships.

Of course, I would at the same time advise to be respectful to the poor person reading all the applications: if you had a 3 weeks summer job in your local ice-cream shop at the age of 14, I'm not convinced that needs to find its way into the P.11 (but I guess we all agree anyways...) ;)
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

dominicoshea

Post by dominicoshea » 12 Nov 2018, 10:38

I would be interested to know if anyone had experience or information related to Cha's original post/question. Is a P3-5 job in New York sufficient for a family of 3 to live comfortably on in New York (as a sole earner at least initially)? In a dream world that would mean a nice 2-3 bedroom apartment in a nice area not a million miles from the UN, and enough disposable income to make the most of living in New York.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 12 Nov 2018, 16:39

dominicoshea wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 10:38
I would be interested to know if anyone had experience or information related to Cha's original post/question. Is a P3-5 job in New York sufficient for a family of 3 to live comfortably on in New York (as a sole earner at least initially)? In a dream world that would mean a nice 2-3 bedroom apartment in a nice area not a million miles from the UN, and enough disposable income to make the most of living in New York.
In short Yes, (average annual salary for P3 based on the number of assignments = 3, + 1 dependent spouse + 3 dependent kids rounds up to $100K). With caviar in breakfast things might get bit tight... Can you manage without caviar ?

dominicoshea

Post by dominicoshea » 14 Nov 2018, 16:17

Thanks again NevKen - I think I can probably do without the caviar. However what do you mean by number of assignments = 3?

Best,

Dom

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 14 Nov 2018, 19:04

dominicoshea wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 16:17
Thanks again NevKen - I think I can probably do without the caviar. However what do you mean by number of assignments = 3?

Best,

Dom
Assignments are the specific tasks/duties/responsibilities listed in the vacancy announcement. Meaning you are hired to take care of 3 different tasks in the units/departments you are hired at but later by the passage of time the number of assignments increases as your are deployed to contribute at two more projects. All the assignments are paid for and that's why the number of assignments is a factor for salary determination.

Cheers!

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 18 Nov 2018, 07:31

Adding to what @NevKen is saying: yes, it is very much possible. Of course the question is what you mean with "comfortable"? If you expect to be living in a luxury apartment in Manhattan and have the best schooling available, then things will be difficult. If you accept a reasonable commute it won't be a problem. If you are on a single income and don't need child care beyond schooling, it should work really well. Good luck!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

dominicoshea

Post by dominicoshea » 20 Nov 2018, 09:30

No I'm 'only' looking for a 2 bedroom (3 would be a dream) in Manhattan or Brooklyn that's within 45min commute to the UN, and just want to be able to not worry too much or watch pennies when it comes to going out once a week and activites for our toddler - certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

Thank you both very much for the advice.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 20 Nov 2018, 16:46

dominicoshea wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 09:30
No I'm 'only' looking for a 2 bedroom (3 would be a dream) in Manhattan or Brooklyn that's within 45min commute to the UN, and just want to be able to not worry too much or watch pennies when it comes to going out once a week and activites for our toddler - certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

Thank you both very much for the advice.
Then you should really be fine. The UN is quite close to Grand Central which means that if you go upstate, to Brooklyn, Queens, UES, LES, the Village etc. you should definitely be ok. If you have a regular UN staff contract in all likelihood you will be entitle to rental subsidy which means that you get extra money to pay your rent. Really a lot of people are in the UN in New York and many of them have a family. Unless you insist on "excessive" luxury it will be all good.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 23 Nov 2018, 16:28

Just to add to the previous discussion: you can estimate the amount of Rental Subsidy (i.e. extra money you will receive to support your rental expenses) here: https://info.undp.org/gssu/onlinetools/ ... bsidy.aspx

Let us know if there is anything unclear about how to use the calculator...