Wonderful Copenhagen - happy to share my experience!

Discuss different duty stations including living conditions, where to find what, advantages and disadvantage here.
Sebastian

Wonderful Copenhagen - happy to share my experience!

Post by Sebastian » 17 Sep 2018, 17:35

Hi all,

just to let you know that I'm happy to share my experience with Wonderful Copenhagen if you are interested in that Duty Station.

Best,
Sebastian

PS: Do you work in a UN Duty Station? Can you open a thread offering to ask basic question about your duty station? Thanks a lot for contributing!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

ArnaudFR

Re: Wonderful Copenhagen - happy to share my experience!

Post by ArnaudFR » 24 Sep 2018, 16:44

Hello,
I Posted my application 10 days ago for Remote French Translator to Copenhaguen Station, Will be glad if someone can post information about his experience with CAT and more

Thanks !

Kokolicious

Post by Kokolicious » 14 Oct 2018, 02:28

Sebastian, I’d love to hear more about Copenhagen as a duty post. I tecently interviewed for a P-3. Keeping my fingers crossed. They told me it would take up to 4 weeks for me to hear back. When making the final selection, do they consider the your candidacy holistically ( your CV, written assessment, gender, nationality and interview) or final selection is based on interview by itself

Pete

Post by Pete » 20 Oct 2018, 18:38

All I know about Copenhagen ist pretty positive. But I hear it is quite expensive - is that true? Is that across the board or is this for specific items only?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 21 Oct 2018, 07:05

Hi all,

alright with regards to Copenhagen: the UN is located in the UN City in the north of the city: http://un.dk/

It is conveniently to be reached via public transport, parking with a car for personnel is feasible but most colleagues come by bus/metro and of course bike. Biking is very big in Denmark so if you come here, be prepared that at some point in time you will bike. In fact, I would claim that you haven't really lived in Denmark unless you owned and used a bike.

The city of Copenhagen is a very nice, child-friendly and cozy city. The downside is that going out for dinner/drinks is quite expensive. Many services that require human labour are very expensive - Danish wages are pretty high. The notable exception from the things which are expensive is daycare/schooling and healthcare. Daycare / schools are very cheap if you manage to be part of the Danish system, however, in addition to that there are decent and expensive international schools but also decent and inexpensive international schools.

The rental market can be a bit tricky: Danish laws protect renters a lot and I have a suspicion that this prevents many private property owners from not renting out property. In the end everyone finds a place to stay but be prepared it can take a while.

Overall it is a very nice and family friendly setup in Copenhagen.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Pete

Post by Pete » 21 Oct 2018, 14:20

Sebastian wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 07:05
The downside is that going out for dinner/drinks is quite expensive. Many services that require human labour are very expensive - Danish wages are pretty high. The notable exception from the things which are expensive is daycare/schooling and healthcare. Daycare / schools are very cheap if you manage to be part of the Danish system, however, in addition to that there are decent and expensive international schools but also decent and inexpensive international schools.
Thanks mate! How "connected" is Copenhagen? Can you commute from other European cities? Or is it a pain to get in and out of the city?