What Does a UN Job Offer Tell A Candidate About Their Compensation?

Things to know before you start applying to jobs in the United Nations. Also, other tips and tricks, common pitfalls and place to discuss employment scams.
rickyaciii

What Does a UN Job Offer Tell A Candidate About Their Compensation?

Post by rickyaciii » 11 Jan 2020, 21:53

So, for the second time I've gotten past the exams and selected for an interview! P-4 role with UNGC in New York.

Getting ahead of myself, I admit I have been trying to figure out the compensation, but, it's dizzying. So I sort of feel like throwing up my hands and just waiting for an offer letter if I get one to tell me these things.

So... if one is finally offered a role, how is compensation made clear? Or is it never really clear?

I have multiplied the base pay times the post-adjustment, and I understand that as a US citizen I'll be paid back for my taxes (since my country is one of two that taxes UN salaries - jerks). But that is as far as I can get. In the job offer stage does someone tell you how much of the "UN taxes" one pays? What one contributes to pension? How much rental subsidy one gets?

Certainly, but just multiplying the base salary for a P4 by the post-multiplier the salary looks fine (if that truly is "net" after the UN repays me my US taxes). But I am guessing I do not just walk home with this amount of money every month.

BigData

Re: What Does a UN Job Offer Tell A Candidate About Their Compensation?

Post by BigData » 22 Jan 2020, 19:39

There are salary calculators available, this one by the UNDP I found to be very accurate:
https://info.undp.org/gssu/onlinetools/ ... lcInt.aspx

I'm not a US citizen so I am not 100% sure what the process is regarding taxes, but I believe you submit a return as normal and the organisation repays whatever is owed. There is an office in New York dedicated to this process. Therefore the above calculator should show you exactly what goes in your pocket.

rickyaciii

Re: What Does a UN Job Offer Tell A Candidate About Their Compensation?

Post by rickyaciii » 22 Jan 2020, 19:50

Thanks!!!!