Visa Application by UN

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
H.O.P

Visa Application by UN

Post by H.O.P » 23 Nov 2018, 16:58

Has anyone here experienced a long wait for their visa application? It is officially over a month I have been waiting on my visa which was applied for by the UN. I have written the UN Office about 3 times to follow up and called twice and I get the same answer "no approval yet". I am beginning to think something may be wrong. I have asked them if something is wrong but they said no, that the application takes 3 weeks and sometimes one month. But mine is over a month now. Anyway, I just thought to see if anyone has had such experience here. It's like I entered into a different waiting game again, very frustrating.

Sebastian

Re: Visa Application by UN

Post by Sebastian » 23 Nov 2018, 17:17

H.O.P wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 16:58
Has anyone here experienced a long wait for their visa application? It is officially over a month I have been waiting on my visa which was applied for by the UN. I have written the UN Office about 3 times to follow up and called twice and I get the same answer "no approval yet". I am beginning to think something may be wrong. I have asked them if something is wrong but they said no, that the application takes 3 weeks and sometimes one month. But mine is over a month now. Anyway, I just thought to see if anyone has had such experience here. It's like I entered into a different waiting game again, very frustrating.
Hi H.O.P. - it really depends on the country. Typically, the UN is supposed to get your visa in absolutely no time. But reality is sometimes a bit different from the ideal case. I have seen very long waiting times, I have seen seemingly arbitrary delays but - and I'm aware this no real consolation - for the majority of the cases visa applications go really fast.

In short: there are countries where visa processes take "forever". There are nationalities that are difficult for some countries. But "normal" is a very speedy process.

I would not worry.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 23 Nov 2018, 17:57

Sebastian wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 17:17
H.O.P wrote:
Hi H.O.P. - it really depends on the country. Typically, the UN is supposed to get your visa in absolutely no time. But reality is sometimes a bit different from the ideal case. I have seen very long waiting times, I have seen seemingly arbitrary delays but - and I'm aware this no real consolation - for the majority of the cases visa applications go really fast.

In short: there are countries where visa processes take "forever". There are nationalities that are difficult for some countries. But "normal" is a very speedy process.

I would not worry.
Thanks a lot, Sebastian for letting me know there is a possibility of a long wait. I guess maybe the country is just taking their time. Although I asked an acquaintance from the same country like mine, and he said generally this country is very fast with approval which is why I started to wonder if there is a problem with my own application. But, right now I can not do anything other than wait which I find really frustrating (since I have been waiting for a while during this whole recruitment process)

mdr

Post by mdr » 06 Dec 2018, 19:53

H.O.P wrote:
Was just about to ask the same question! Haha glad I'm not the only one. I remember mentioning to you how I thought the updates had been more or less reasonable & bearable (even with an approximately 1-month gap in between) but I'm in the same boat with my visa as well! Have you gotten yours yet? The funny thing was the HR from HQ had to email twice to the Duty Station HR because it took them over 2 weeks to get a response back about beginning the visa process. I even had a digital upload deadline on Nov 24th but it's nearly a month now since the process had begun. Duty Station HR just told me to hang tight until she hears back about my visa. I sent an email a few days ago to ask about the list of recommended vaccines. I haven't gotten a reply & I'd already looked it up online but I just wanted to hear back from them so I know things are still OK.. Although I have heard of some visas taking a month though- I have a friend who was stuck in one country for a month waiting to get his visa although that wasn't a UN post.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 07 Dec 2018, 08:19

mdr wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 19:53
H.O.P wrote:
Was just about to ask the same question! Haha glad I'm not the only one. I remember mentioning to you how I thought the updates had been more or less reasonable & bearable (even with an approximately 1-month gap in between) but I'm in the same boat with my visa as well! Have you gotten yours yet? The funny thing was the HR from HQ had to email twice to the Duty Station HR because it took them over 2 weeks to get a response back about beginning the visa process. I even had a digital upload deadline on Nov 24th but it's nearly a month now since the process had begun. Duty Station HR just told me to hang tight until she hears back about my visa. I sent an email a few days ago to ask about the list of recommended vaccines. I haven't gotten a reply & I'd already looked it up online but I just wanted to hear back from them so I know things are still OK.. Although I have heard of some visas taking a month though- I have a friend who was stuck in one country for a month waiting to get his visa although that wasn't a UN post.
Oh wow! I am still waiting for my visa, Mdr. Mine is heading to 2 months now. It will be 2 months next week. I have even resorted to calling the Duty Station HR Office myself, and still, I get the same response: "we're on it, it has not been approved yet". It has become obvious it won't be happening this year or even in January anymore. I am just more frustrated because I had put plans for my family in motion because they told me it would take at most a month for the visa to be out. Now, I have to bear the cost of a failed plan and try to salvage what I can.
I would only reach out to them again next year. But for now, I will just give it a rest and let them do their job (when they finally want to).

I can't believe I found myself in another waiting game outside of getting the job itself. Phew!

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 08 Dec 2018, 22:22

I've had friends from your duty station, HOP and they had the same issues with visa. I wish you the best of luck, I know the issues are not just with the country but also with UNV field unit sometimes, and this is all unfortunately outside our control and is a known issue.

I hope the current situation is not too much of a financial burden for you. I am in the same boat now sort of, waiting for deployment to my next duty station (since the first one didn't work out), so we will see who amongst the two of us get deployed faster. I know what you mean about bearing the cost of a failed plan, I quit my work after receiving the go ahead and the offer fell through last minute..

In any case, I am doing the same as you, not to think of it too much since it's Christmas and New Year, and hope for deployment as soon as possible after that period. Good luck to all of us and happy holidays (:

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 09 Dec 2018, 11:22

starryhindsight wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 22:22
I've had friends from your duty station, HOP and they had the same issues with visa. I wish you the best of luck, I know the issues are not just with the country but also with UNV field unit sometimes, and this is all unfortunately outside our control and is a known issue.

I hope the current situation is not too much of a financial burden for you. I am in the same boat now sort of, waiting for deployment to my next duty station (since the first one didn't work out), so we will see who amongst the two of us get deployed faster. I know what you mean about bearing the cost of a failed plan, I quit my work after receiving the go ahead and the offer fell through last minute..

In any case, I am doing the same as you, not to think of it too much since it's Christmas and New Year, and hope for deployment as soon as possible after that period. Good luck to all of us and happy holidays (:
Oh, I see. Thanks for letting me know this is a usual occurrence. I have been trying to wrap my mind around what the real issue could be. Unfortunately, we cannot say. Yes, let's see whose deployment happens first. Funny how you're already in the deployment stage in a new application and mine is not yet even complete, LOL! Happy holidays to you too.

mdr

Post by mdr » 10 Dec 2018, 14:17

H.O.P wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 08:19

Oh wow! I am still waiting for my visa, Mdr. Mine is heading to 2 months now. It will be 2 months next week. I have even resorted to calling the Duty Station HR Office myself, and still, I get the same response: "we're on it, it has not been approved yet". It has become obvious it won't be happening this year or even in January anymore. I am just more frustrated because I had put plans for my family in motion because they told me it would take at most a month for the visa to be out. Now, I have to bear the cost of a failed plan and try to salvage what I can.
I would only reach out to them again next year. But for now, I will just give it a rest and let them do their job (when they finally want to).

I can't believe I found myself in another waiting game outside of getting the job itself. Phew!
Hey H.O.P. Sorry to hear about your situation. 2 months is quite awhile! I can understand the frustration, even more so when you've made plans already. I agree that maybe they might be waiting til the year has ended. Where I come from, most of the government agencies are already in the holiday mood once December starts and a lot of things slow down around this time. Maybe that's the case for my duty station and yours.

Thankfully for me, I'm mostly just taking it easy since I decided on a January starting date and I made all my travel plans before December. Even so, I also didn't think the visa process would take this long or that I wouldn't hear back from them more frequently. But as you said, this is a whole other waiting game now and there's not much we can do except to trust in the process. Hope you have a happy holiday regardless!

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 10 Dec 2018, 15:29

mdr wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 14:17
H.O.P wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 08:19

Hey H.O.P. Sorry to hear about your situation. 2 months is quite awhile! I can understand the frustration, even more so when you've made plans already. I agree that maybe they might be waiting til the year has ended. Where I come from, most of the government agencies are already in the holiday mood once December starts and a lot of things slow down around this time. Maybe that's the case for my duty station and yours.

Thankfully for me, I'm mostly just taking it easy since I decided on a January starting date and I made all my travel plans before December. Even so, I also didn't think the visa process would take this long or that I wouldn't hear back from them more frequently. But as you said, this is a whole other waiting game now and there's not much we can do except to trust in the process. Hope you have a happy holiday regardless!
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Happy holidays to you too! Fingers crossed for the good news next year.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 11 Dec 2018, 07:48

mdr wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 14:17

Happy holidays and good luck for your process, mdr!