UNFCU Unsecured Local Staff Loan and my contract is not renewed or expires

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
kadingo

UNFCU Unsecured Local Staff Loan and my contract is not renewed or expires

Post by kadingo » 25 Sep 2020, 19:48

If I get a UNFCU Unsecured Local Staff Loan and my contract is not renewed or expires when I have just repaid half of it or less, what happens? Would my pension be safe or it’s what UN FCU will attach?

Papa

Re: UNFCU Unsecured Local Staff Loan and my contract is not renewed or expires

Post by Papa » 26 Sep 2020, 10:22

Hey Kadingo,
Before they advance you a loan they ask for some documents. One of them is the contract you have with the UN. They structure the loan according to the length of your contract. But again its always good to clear the loan before your contract expires. Since the money belongs to members. I have a colleague who failed to surrender a UN issued Laptop after lapse of his contract. The resettlement allowance after the contract lapsed was withheld.

kadingo

Re: UNFCU Unsecured Local Staff Loan and my contract is not renewed or expires

Post by kadingo » 27 Sep 2020, 03:46

They don't always structure the loan according to the length of your contract almost in all cases. The repayment period will always go far past the length you your contract. If one's contract is not renewed in the middle of the repayment period, i don't know how an "Unsecured Local Staff Loan" is handled. They don't give much information about such a situation either.

Also, your colleague refusing to surrender a UN issued Laptop after lapse of his contract was very weird, just a Laptop :)