Visa Application by UN

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
mdr

Re: Visa Application by UN

Post by mdr » 11 Dec 2018, 11:58

Thanks! You too, starryhindsight!

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 21 Dec 2018, 14:06

Great news everyone. My anxiety has been calmed for the holidays. My visa has finally been approved. Come January, I will be starting the next chapter as an IUNV. It is has been a very long ride, but, I am really happy right now. Thank you all for all the support you've provided on this platform.

Special thanks to Sebastian, for this website/platform. It has been a very helpful source during this ride.

mdr

Post by mdr » 21 Dec 2018, 18:49

H.O.P wrote:
21 Dec 2018, 14:06
Great news everyone. My anxiety has been calmed for the holidays. My visa has finally been approved. Come January, I will be starting the next chapter as an IUNV. It is has been a very long ride, but, I am really happy right now. Thank you all for all the support you've provided on this platform.

Special thanks to Sebastian, for this website/platform. It has been a very helpful source during this ride.
Hey H.O.P! That's really great to hear! All the best with the new, exciting chapter in your life! Hope we continue to hear from you especially with any useful insights or information or other concerns! Good luck and happy holidays!

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 21 Dec 2018, 19:36

mdr wrote:
21 Dec 2018, 18:49
H.O.P wrote:

Hey H.O.P! That's really great to hear! All the best with the new, exciting chapter in your life! Hope we continue to hear from you especially with any useful insights or information or other concerns! Good luck and happy holidays!
Thanks mdr. I will definitely keep sharing my thoughts, opinions and experience here. It could be of use to someone else.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 22 Dec 2018, 16:00

H.O.P wrote:

Wow! Congratulations! All the very best!

And please don't be a stranger here - we need experienced hands who help us all understand what is going on in this wonderful, strange, exciting, complicated, chaotic, great, bureaucratic yet inspiring world of the United Nations :)

Congrats again!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 22 Dec 2018, 16:21

Sebastian wrote:
22 Dec 2018, 16:00
H.O.P wrote:

Wow! Congratulations! All the very best!

And please don't be a stranger here - we need experienced hands who help us all understand what is going on in this wonderful, strange, exciting, complicated, chaotic, great, bureaucratic yet inspiring world of the United Nations :)

Congrats again!
Thank you. Of course I will make sure to keep contributing on here.

mdr

Post by mdr » 04 Jan 2019, 15:10

Update

Ok this is a little crazy (to me). So I was waiting for my visa for over a month now and I just received it a moment ago by email (after I made a follow up straight after New Year's). It's a visa on arrival. I'm confused. I have gone abroad for an internship in the past (at the UN) and was issued a student visa that was stamped into my passport with a validity of 3 months (then renewed in the host country) and I did a semester abroad to Japan that had a visa validity throughout my study. I know they were both student visas but I'd imagined it would be of a similar nature especially since I'll be working. I'm assuming I'll get a proper one once I'm there?

Anyone else was just issued a visa on arrival? But that's not even the bigger issue actually. So the visa arrived nearly a week before my departure date but I was just contacted by their contracted agent (btw I had asked for probably the 2nd time for their contact just so I could have an idea on the process and introductions typically only happen after travel authorization is issued) who informed me the whole moving process would take at least 2-3 weeks! But since I'm going to leave next week, I don't know how I'm gonna be around for the moving of my stuff. The focal point said it was definitely not possible to do it by next week. I have emailed both HR and am awaiting for their reply. Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this?

mdr

Post by mdr » 04 Jan 2019, 15:35

I just read my private correspondence with H.O.P again and saw that they were issued a visa on arrival as well so I suppose it is not strange after all and every process is different- I have a Malaysian friend who moved to work in UN Bangkok and she was issued a visa stamped into her passport (I was comparing notes with her the whole time). I guess I just feel a little frazzled now as it seems like everything is happening at all once and very quickly.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 04 Jan 2019, 18:00

mdr wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 15:35
I just read my private correspondence with H.O.P again and saw that they were issued a visa on arrival as well so I suppose it is not strange after all and every process is different- I have a Malaysian friend who moved to work in UN Bangkok and she was issued a visa stamped into her passport (I was comparing notes with her the whole time). I guess I just feel a little frazzled now as it seems like everything is happening at all once and very quickly.
I think African countries could have this agreement of "Visa on Arrival" with the UN/IGOs. Makes the work easier.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 05 Jan 2019, 07:54

Some countries allow visas on arrival and then have an arrangement with the UN from the ground. Some have to process work visas immediately before deployment, I think this would be what affects the length and difficulty of getting visas as well.

And Malaysians are part of ASEAN which makes sense why she didn't require a work visa to enter and work at UN Bangkok.