From a Head of Office/Coordinator NGO position to a UNV with Peace Mission

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
Xulimar

From a Head of Office/Coordinator NGO position to a UNV with Peace Mission

Post by Xulimar » 28 Dec 2018, 00:07

Hi everybody, some of you may remember me for this topic viewtopic.php?f=9&t=125, it was just two months ago and it's unbelieveble, i am again in the same situation but with higher positions...and switching to UN this time!
I am so courios about your comments and opinions as I can't decide, again !!

So after that topic, I decided to accept the NGO job in another country, where I had been living before and where I currently am. What happens is that I am not just a Project Officer, my role is of general Coordinator of the NGO on the field, let's say Head Of Office, I follow and corodinate all human resources and Project Coordinators; context may be interesting and amazing to me BUT....the NGO is extremly bad organized, has a lot of internal tensions, my boss is really crazy (but luckly he lives in another country) and people from other NGOs and UN in the town knows that, but in the last year the NGO took some very bad decisions about human resources, management and projects, was not coordinated by a supervisor on the field and employers have been destroying relationships/contacts with other NGOs, some donors and some UN agencies.

Let's say I arrived in a very complicated situation, especially for my reputation, and that i am trying to restore things, but it's hard because to do so I should just dedicate to management and go on the field orientating human resources (some of them with no experience in the humanitarian field) but I can't do it cause my boss obliges me to write huge projects proposals (which I hate to do, btw) that take me most of the time WHILE managing all the NGO. I am not doing Protection work, which is my dream job, but I am the boss on the field and this is something good for my CV, despite this I am not happy with the job (it's like a 4 months contract, renewable)

NOW: A was selected for a UNV position in the same country TODAY! I had not applied, i was selected by the roster and passed an interview where I received compliments but I also said I can't drive cars which is very important for the position. Despite that I was selected.

It's a UNV position for which other 13 people will be selected too, because it's not an agency but a temporary mission, so it's not "the unique" position that will allow me to get to be a staff one day, and it's not my dream agency, which would be UNHCR. I have some doubts on the position and the work, as I know a lot of ppl in the same UNV position are no good in it, go burn-out and leave earlier.
My current salary is ideally higher than the UNV ONE, and the position is HIGHER too, but I did not receive my salary yet and my NGO is very informal and strange so I dont' believe it until I see it!
What should I do? If I accept this position, will it be impossible to get a UNV in UNHCR later? UNOPS contract are impossible in the country..

NevKen

Re: From a Head of Office/Coordinator NGO position to a UNV with Peace Mission

Post by NevKen » 28 Dec 2018, 00:39

Roll the dice !

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 28 Dec 2018, 12:39

Xulimar wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 00:07
Hi everybody, some of you may remember me for this topic viewtopic.php?f=9&t=125, it was just two months ago and it's unbelieveble, i am again in the same situation but with higher positions...and switching to UN this time!
I am so courios about your comments and opinions as I can't decide, again !!

So after that topic, I decided to accept the NGO job in another country, where I had been living before and where I currently am. What happens is that I am not just a Project Officer, my role is of general Coordinator of the NGO on the field, let's say Head Of Office, I follow and corodinate all human resources and Project Coordinators; context may be interesting and amazing to me BUT....the NGO is extremly bad organized, has a lot of internal tensions, my boss is really crazy (but luckly he lives in another country) and people from other NGOs and UN in the town knows that, but in the last year the NGO took some very bad decisions about human resources, management and projects, was not coordinated by a supervisor on the field and employers have been destroying relationships/contacts with other NGOs, some donors and some UN agencies.

Let's say I arrived in a very complicated situation, especially for my reputation, and that i am trying to restore things, but it's hard because to do so I should just dedicate to management and go on the field orientating human resources (some of them with no experience in the humanitarian field) but I can't do it cause my boss obliges me to write huge projects proposals (which I hate to do, btw) that take me most of the time WHILE managing all the NGO. I am not doing Protection work, which is my dream job, but I am the boss on the field and this is something good for my CV, despite this I am not happy with the job (it's like a 4 months contract, renewable)

NOW: A was selected for a UNV position in the same country TODAY! I had not applied, i was selected by the roster and passed an interview where I received compliments but I also said I can't drive cars which is very important for the position. Despite that I was selected.

It's a UNV position for which other 13 people will be selected too, because it's not an agency but a temporary mission, so it's not "the unique" position that will allow me to get to be a staff one day, and it's not my dream agency, which would be UNHCR. I have some doubts on the position and the work, as I know a lot of ppl in the same UNV position are no good in it, go burn-out and leave earlier.
My current salary is ideally higher than the UNV ONE, and the position is HIGHER too, but I did not receive my salary yet and my NGO is very informal and strange so I dont' believe it until I see it!
What should I do? If I accept this position, will it be impossible to get a UNV in UNHCR later? UNOPS contract are impossible in the country..
This is even more complicated. I do agree with NevKen, roll the dice and go with whichever. Whatever outcome either decision will bring, just work with it.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 28 Dec 2018, 19:43

Congrats, I think this is a "good problem to have". How certain are you with your NGO? I just want to point out that while UNV is a great great great option, it should not be confused with a "career step" and that - depending on how it goes - you might make the jump from the NGO to a more permanent UN job later - especially if you can actually highlight some of the responsibilities you have right now...

Either way, good luck and all the best - and let us know how things turn out :)
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.