rental subsidy

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
unwannabe

Re: rental subsidy

Post by unwannabe » 25 Feb 2019, 21:36

mdr wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 18:17
unwannabe wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 12:51

what do you mean? they didnt specify max rental subsidy in the contract? are you in new york? sounds like a nightmare....
It's not in my contract although it was stated in my offer letter. And even though the handbook (from the intranet) of my organization reference the UNDP rental calculator, I (and all the other international staff) still need to sit down with HR and let her do the calculations. I'll update here once I find out. I was told to prioritize the apartment search first then worry about the subsidy later. And no, I'm not in New York but I will say I'm somewhere in Africa. And yes, nightmare is exactly what the apartment hunting feels like. Finding a place in my duty station is not as easy as Bangkok (Thailand) for example where you can just go on Facebook or walk around the city and much, much cheaper. Many of my colleagues have taken between 1-3 months to find a place.
Ok. Good luck!!!

HopefulApplicant

Post by HopefulApplicant » 22 May 2019, 23:46

Just curious - is there any restriction or limitation on eligibility for a rental subsidy? I'm applying to UNHQ based positions, and while I don't live too far now, I would need to move closer given the commuting travel time. Housing anywhere reasonably close to UNHQ is prohibitively expensive!

Would someone mind kindly telling me how the rental subsidy works and/or the relocation and settling-in grant?

Thank you in advance!

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 02 Jun 2019, 08:05

HopefulApplicant wrote:
22 May 2019, 23:46
Just curious - is there any restriction or limitation on eligibility for a rental subsidy? I'm applying to UNHQ based positions, and while I don't live too far now, I would need to move closer given the commuting travel time. Housing anywhere reasonably close to UNHQ is prohibitively expensive!

Would someone mind kindly telling me how the rental subsidy works and/or the relocation and settling-in grant?

Thank you in advance!
The details have some fine-print. But generally speaking if you qualify (i.e. if you are an international) and if your place of recruitment is not the same as the place of duty station you should be fine. Just for the record since we talked about the UNDP calculator, it can be found here: https://info.undp.org/gssu/onlinetools/ ... bsidy.aspx
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.