Salary Steps determined during initial Recruitment?

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
UN linguist

Re: Salary Steps determined during initial Recruitment?

Post by UN linguist » 29 Sep 2018, 13:40

If you are in a P3 post, for example, and then get a P4 post, how far up the P4 scale you will start depends in part on how far up the P3 scale you were, as there is a crossover zone between the upper end of one scale and the lower end of the scale above it. So if you are far enough up the P3 scale for your salary to be higher than the P4-1 salary, you draw a line across from where you are on the P3 scale to where it hits the P4 scale, then move up one point and that’s where you will start on the P4 scale. It stands to reason, if you think about it - otherwise you could end up going backwards salary-wise if you were to move from high up on the P3 scale to the bottom of the P4 scale and even the UN isn’t going to do that to its staff!

simkas

Post by simkas » 12 Nov 2018, 19:59

Hello,

What about step determination for G grades? Is it always step 1 for new recruit or is it negotiable? I work in OECD and here grade depends on the previous salary.

Thank you!

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 18 Nov 2018, 07:33

simkas wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 19:59
Hello,

What about step determination for G grades? Is it always step 1 for new recruit or is it negotiable? I work in OECD and here grade depends on the previous salary.

Thank you!
I think that depends a bit from organisation to organisation. Typically prior experience (more than previous salary) determines you entry step. There however limits in some cases, i.e. you can only enter with a maximum of e.g. step 4. Which organisation are you interested in? Maybe I can find out more?
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

aggieatieno

Post by aggieatieno » 12 Dec 2018, 14:51

How is salary step determined in UN World Food PRogramme? And, is grade G7 senior to an NOA position in the same organisation?

John_Doe

Post by John_Doe » 25 Dec 2018, 09:43

Hi there,

Just quickly to share my experience: The offer letter included the Grade/Steps determined by the HR person in charge of my recruitment.

I was positively suprised, my experience exceding the minimum P4 experienc was fully taken into account, so I was recruited and am now actually already working on a P4/Step x appointment.

Very good experience, unlike most of the time when negotiations need to start on the taking into account of professional experience (my experience with most public sector recruitments)...

Smooth and indeed pleasant & respectful. :)

aggieatieno

Post by aggieatieno » 14 Jan 2019, 13:41

For WFP?

John_Doe

Post by John_Doe » 15 Jan 2019, 15:09

aggieatieno wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 13:41
For WFP?
Nope, not WFP. PM me in case you need to know more!

unwannabe

Post by unwannabe » 21 Jan 2019, 13:44

How much does a PhD count in determining initial salary step? 2 steps on the p2 scale?

xsever

Post by xsever » 05 Mar 2019, 08:22

John_Doe wrote:
25 Dec 2018, 09:43
Hi there,

Just quickly to share my experience: The offer letter included the Grade/Steps determined by the HR person in charge of my recruitment.

I was positively suprised, my experience exceding the minimum P4 experienc was fully taken into account, so I was recruited and am now actually already working on a P4/Step x appointment.

Very good experience, unlike most of the time when negotiations need to start on the taking into account of professional experience (my experience with most public sector recruitments)...

Smooth and indeed pleasant & respectful. :)
Hello,

Congrats on the job first of all! I am in the same boat as you. I applied to a P3 position in August 2018, which required 5 years of minimum experience, and I wrote the test in October and did the interview in November, and I was notified last week that I got rostered and selected. I replied with a positive answer and I am currently waiting for the offer. Since I have 7~8 years of relevant experience, I am wondering now, based on your experience, whether I will start as a P4 or P3 and in which step in both cases. I cannot PM you yet since this is my first post, but I will as soon as I can to get more information from you.

Thank you in advance and best of luck.

John_Doe

Post by John_Doe » 23 Mar 2019, 12:17

Hi there - I guess everything has been determined in the meantime. Unfortunately I only got the notification for your post today.. Strange.

In any case: You apply to a P3 and are rostered for P3. You will be recruited in P3.

Steps: You have two to three years excess experience. Baseline is the P3 minimum of five years.

I would expect, based on my own experience and common sense that you would be offered P3 Step 3 or 4.

Hope this helps others, maybe you could give some feedback on your experience.