Salary Steps determined during initial Recruitment?

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
xsever

Re: Salary Steps determined during initial Recruitment?

Post by xsever » 23 Mar 2019, 12:26

John_Doe wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 12:17
Hi there - I guess everything has been determined in the meantime. Unfortunately I only got the notification for your post today.. Strange.

In any case: You apply to a P3 and are rostered for P3. You will be recruited in P3.

Steps: You have two to three years excess experience. Baseline is the P3 minimum of five years.

I would expect, based on my own experience and common sense that you would be offered P3 Step 3 or 4.

Hope this helps others, maybe you could give some feedback on your experience.
You are very correct. I ended up getting the offer with Step 4 of P3. Very happy with the outcome, but I was also told that I can have HR re-review my experience to re-determine my step because I had additional work experience after the date of application which wasn't reflected in my original application.

I'll wait and see and keep you all updated.

Thank you.

John_Doe

Post by John_Doe » 23 Mar 2019, 12:33

Great, congratulations and thank you gor sharing. :)

pupuce

Post by pupuce » 21 Apr 2019, 06:12

Hi everyone,
Just wondering what would the relevant P3 step be for someone who has 11 years of work experience? Step 5 or 6? I read above that there is a maximum entry step for new joiners anyway? Does anybody know which one it is for WFP?
Is HR obliged to offer a step in accordance with the work experience is is it negotiable?
Thanks a lot in advance.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 21 Apr 2019, 16:01

pupuce wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 06:12
Hi everyone,
Just wondering what would the relevant P3 step be for someone who has 11 years of work experience? Step 5 or 6? I read above that there is a maximum entry step for new joiners anyway? Does anybody know which one it is for WFP?
Is HR obliged to offer a step in accordance with the work experience is is it negotiable?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Steps for 11 years of work experience is a complicated process. To be eligible for P3 if I am not wrong you require a top notch 10 years of experience. So to be successful in the job a candidate applies (Remember people with 20 years of experience even apply for P2 as well). Meaning there is a tough competition.

Having said that i.e, if basic eligibility for P3 is 10 years - then you have 1 year extra to negotiate any further step... not 11 years.

xsever

Post by xsever » 21 Apr 2019, 16:04

NevKen wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 16:01
pupuce wrote:
Hi everyone,
Thanks a lot in advance.
Steps for 11 years of work experience is a complicated process. To be eligible for P3 if I am not wrong you require a top notch 10 years of experience. So to be successful in the job a candidate applies (Remember people with 20 years of experience even apply for P2 as well). Meaning there is a tough competition.

Having said that i.e, if basic eligibility for P3 is 10 years - then you have 1 year extra to negotiate any further step... not 11 years.
Minimum work experience for P3 is 5 years, 7 for P4 and 10 for P5.

John_Doe

Post by John_Doe » 21 Apr 2019, 16:09

Sorry, just reading the last comment and feel like I need to react:

NevKen, I have read many of your contributions and many lack coherence and insight, in my opinion. Sorry for my harsh judgment, but this is not helpful. Many of your contributions rather confuse fellow participants.

P3 requires 5 years minimum, this is no secret but written in any vacancy announcement for P3 - P5 requires 10 years. There is no need to discuss the fact that people with 10/15 years will compete for a P3. Pupuce asks about the salary steps, not about chances to succeed.

Having said that, I would guess 5 or 6 would be applicable - depending what is accepted during the recruitment and with space for a little discretion. I do not know the WFP practice, however.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 21 Apr 2019, 16:10

xsever wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 16:04
NevKen wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 16:01
pupuce wrote:
Hi everyone,
Thanks a lot in advance.

Minimum work experience for P3 is 5 years, 7 for P4 and 10 for P5.
May I ask what is the minimum work experience for P2 ?

xsever

Post by xsever » 21 Apr 2019, 16:20

NevKen wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 16:10
May I ask what is the minimum work experience for P2 ?
Minimum 2 years of work experience. No experience is required if applying to the young professionals programme.

pupuce

Post by pupuce » 21 Apr 2019, 21:38

John_Doe wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 16:09

NevKen, I have read many of your contributions and many lack coherence and insight, in my opinion. Sorry for my harsh judgment, but this is not helpful. Many of your contributions rather confuse fellow participants.

P3 requires 5 years minimum, this is no secret but written in any vacancy announcement for P3 - P5 requires 10 years. There is no need to discuss the fact that people with 10/15 years will compete for a P3. Pupuce asks about the salary steps, not about chances to succeed.

Having said that, I would guess 5 or 6 would be applicable - depending what is accepted during the recruitment and with space for a little discretion. I do not know the WFP practice, however.
Thank you so much for your insights. It was indeed 5 years in the job description.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 21 Apr 2019, 23:18

John_Doe wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 16:09

My opinions are only opinions not laws or regulations for you or others to follow, they certainly have a different narratives that is not easily digestible. So for the ones who understands can make something out of them, other can ask others. I am not responsible for others if they understand or not.

Do I owe you an explanation = NO but to make things clear for the sake of forum:

Tell me what are the bases of your judgement and what do you know about the context of each and every post ? I think 80% of my posts are based on UN documents and majority of my posts also states (as per so and so) whereas examples can't be as per so and so In regard to the post as an example you mentioned here, itself is an example about the remaining years of experience that are left in hands of applicant to negotiate the steps not the number of years required as per UN.

If hearing a different narrative is a real problem for anyone on this forum or the moderator, or the owner, I really don't give a F... man !

You like it use it you don't like it move on... Keep your judgment for the ones you know !