Salary Steps determined during initial Recruitment?

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
John_Doe

Re: Salary Steps determined during initial Recruitment?

Post by John_Doe » 23 Apr 2019, 11:12

Exactly for the sake of this forum and those who have less experience/have had less time and chance to dig into the complex subject matter "UN employment" I felt compelled to speak out.

Otherwise: I have read your last post. A few times. Noted. Thank you very much for proving my point.

pupuce

Post by pupuce » 25 Apr 2019, 09:23

Just as a follow up, the HR is saying that they correctly estimated my work experience and my now 11 years of experience has estimated as equivalent to a P3 step 3. I find this logic quite doubtful but do not how to handle this. I have no experience with this type of HR negotiations and would really appreciate your feedback based on your own knowledge of the UN staff rules and own experience. Thank you so much in advance.

xsever

Post by xsever » 25 Apr 2019, 10:24

pupuce wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 09:23
Just as a follow up, the HR is saying that they correctly estimated my work experience and my now 11 years of experience has estimated as equivalent to a P3 step 3. I find this logic quite doubtful but do not how to handle this. I have no experience with this type of HR negotiations and would really appreciate your feedback based on your own knowledge of the UN staff rules and own experience. Thank you so much in advance.
Only the experience that is relevant to the job you got will count so they probably decided that 3 years from the 11 count and therefore you got step 3. I know for a fact that after you join, you can ask HR to re-review your experience for determining your step. I was told this while negotiating with HR my offer.

BigData

Post by BigData » 25 Apr 2019, 15:37

pupuce wrote:
Every HR is different but the rule of thumb I have been told is subtract the minimum experience needed to that grade (i.e. usually P3 = 5 years, P4 = 7 years, P5 = 10 years etc.) and the reminder is the step. In your case, if you have 11 years experience you should be put on step 6, perhaps ask kindly why they are not counting those extra 3 years? Good luck.

pupuce

Post by pupuce » 25 Apr 2019, 21:50

[/quote]

Only the experience that is relevant to the job you got will count so they probably decided that 3 years from the 11 count and therefore you got step 3. I know for a fact that after you join, you can ask HR to re-review your experience for determining your step. I was told this while negotiating with HR my offer.
[/quote]

Thank you. That could be their reasoning although they did not specify it in their response.
I would rather not engage a review after joining, which would be tricky when you are a newcomer.

Anyway for everyone's benefits, I found the applicable rules which are pretty straightforward to me. "Guidelines for determination of level and step on recruitment to the Professional category and above" available here https://hr.un.org/files/handbook/guidel ... gory-and-0

John_Doe

Post by John_Doe » 26 Apr 2019, 06:49

Thank you for sharing - I myself had not seen the guidance document. As for not asking for the review: Your call, however I would think about it well. A) You have a right to transparent decisions. B) Not asking will leave you with mixed feelings at the start of this next career step. C) Two or three steps not being granted has a huge long-term financial impact.

I asked for such a review (and the following formal appeal procedure) when recruited by a non-UN employer and was re-graded in the end. My advice would be to inform your new supervisor about your plan to ask for a review, once there is an initial rapport... it is a buraucracy after all and everyone should understand.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 26 Apr 2019, 16:02

NevKen wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 23:18
John_Doe wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 16:09
Sorry, just reading the last comment and feel like I need to react:

NevKen, I have read many of your contributions and many lack coherence and insight, in my opinion. Sorry for my harsh judgment, but this is not helpful. Many of your contributions rather confuse fellow participants.

P3 requires 5 years minimum, this is no secret but written in any vacancy announcement for P3 - P5 requires 10 years. There is no need to discuss the fact that people with 10/15 years will compete for a P3. Pupuce asks about the salary steps, not about chances to succeed.

Having said that, I would guess 5 or 6 would be applicable - depending what is accepted during the recruitment and with space for a little discretion. I do not know the WFP practice, however.
My opinions are only opinions not laws or regulations for you or others to follow, they certainly have a different narratives that is not easily digestible. So for the ones who understands can make something out of them, other can ask others. I am not responsible for others if they understand or not.

Do I owe you an explanation = NO but to make things clear for the sake of forum:

Tell me what are the bases of your judgement and what do you know about the context of each and every post ? I think 80% of my posts are based on UN documents and majority of my posts also states (as per so and so) whereas examples can't be as per so and so In regard to the post as an example you mentioned here, itself is an example about the remaining years of experience that are left in hands of applicant to negotiate the steps not the number of years required as per UN.

If hearing a different narrative is a real problem for anyone on this forum or the moderator, or the owner, I really don't give a F... man !

You like it use it you don't like it move on... Keep your judgment for the ones you know !
John_Doe wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 11:12
Exactly for the sake of this forum and those who have less experience/have had less time and chance to dig into the complex subject matter "UN employment" I felt compelled to speak out.

Otherwise: I have read your last post. A few times. Noted. Thank you very much for proving my point.
Was expecting a list of your judgements on 171 posts. You are more than welcome.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 27 Apr 2019, 09:56

Hi everyone,

let's cool it a bit :)

I really enjoy the exchange on this board here. We are all here to share, to learn and to help each other.

If there is anything that is factually incorrect, please help each other out by pointing to specific points in posts. If need be, pls. PM me and I will have a look.

I'm providing this platform as a user-to-user platform and hope I can keep it that. So thanks to everyone contributing here!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 27 Apr 2019, 09:58

pupuce wrote:
Hi there,

some organisations apply the rule that "nobody can start on a higher step than 3" in any given grade.

Also, some organisations are particularly picky when it comes to counting experience vs. relevant experience.

So I suspect that between these two things the reasoning for Step 3 lies.

Good luck with your new(?) job! 8-)
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

tonyfinn

Post by tonyfinn » 02 May 2019, 23:34

Hi everyone - I can't seem to find much info on General Service grades and entry step level. Does anyone have any experience of negotiating higher than the entry-level step (1) when one has significant (over 15 years) experience in the private sector? I have spoken to many ex-UN employees and also current across the UN family of organizations, but all seem to be convinced that G staff have to start at step 1. Is there a specific rule pertaining to this?