How to get an internship in the UN

The internship corner on the UN Job List - find your internships here: https://unjl.org/intern and then discuss how to get them in the forum!
Sebastian

Re: How to get an internship in the UN

Post by Sebastian » 30 Oct 2018, 04:31

Thanks so much for sharing! Anybody else wants to share their story?
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Xulimar

Post by Xulimar » 30 Oct 2018, 22:50

...it is about a lot of luck and circumstances, i would say. I know people with just one volunteer experience before they got the internship, maybe because it was a place where few people would go so it wasn't that complicated to get it, and than after this experience got a UNOPS position, and the reason is basically that few people wants to stay there, that they demonstrated to stay even after their internship looking for a job, and that they made up good relationships. But it is also about how "easy going" is the team and i guess little units are more easy going. I guess in biggest ones it's a lot harder if you don't have any work experience( i swear to god this happens.)

Xulimar

Post by Xulimar » 31 Oct 2018, 21:44

I got an update. My internship is changing...and it's frustrating. I have been working hard 4 months and they always appreciated my job. Now for different circumstances, my tasks are changing and being lower and with very less responsabilities, I don't think is for something i did personally but it's about the team, rhe moment and especially the fact that all the eyes are on our office cause we are on the border. This id being horrible to me, i was working almost as a protetcion assistant and now i am doing almost nothing. It's good i had the chance for 4 months to work hard and good and learn but i am absolutely demotivated at the moment and very very sad

chrisoml

Post by chrisoml » 07 Dec 2018, 09:42

Hello,
Please does anyone know the complete Selection process for UNOPS internship?
For over a week now my Application Status was on Longlisted while the Vacancy Status changed to: Shortlisting.
I wanted to know what other steps are left after here.
Thank you.

chiara

Post by chiara » 09 Dec 2018, 16:04

chrisoml wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 09:42
Hello,
For over a week now my Application Status was on Longlisted while the Vacancy Status changed to: Shortlisting.
Thank you.
Hey, I'm in the same situation with a UNOPS internship. Does this mean we have been shortlisted? Or does it mean that selection is in the shortlisting phase?
I'm also applying for other internships using Inspira, but I have problems with the completion of the education session. If I'm still attending a master, in the "attended from (example 01/09/2016) to .......", what should I write after "to", the present date in which I send the application or the future date in which I will graduate? Sometimes it gives me error if I write a future date, but then somehow the error disappears. What do you think? I'm scared a lot of my applications have been automatically deleted by the system because I've written the current date in which I sent the application.

chrisoml

Post by chrisoml » 12 Dec 2018, 03:00

chiara wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 16:04
chrisoml wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 09:42
Hello,
Thank you.
Hey, I'm in the same situation with a UNOPS internship. Does this mean we have been shortlisted? Or does it mean that selection is in the shortlisting phase?
I'm also applying for other internships using Inspira, but I have problems with the completion of the education session. If I'm still attending a master, in the "attended from (example 01/09/2016) to .......", what should I write after "to", the present date in which I send the application or the future date in which I will graduate? Sometimes it gives me error if I write a future date, but then somehow the error disappears. What do you think? I'm scared a lot of my applications have been automatically deleted by the system because I've written the current date in which I sent the application.
Well as for me, this morning when I checked My Vacancy Status has now changed to "Evaluation" still hoping for the next step...
I am not so sure about how inspira works best, but I believe that those who are more knowledgeable would comment on this.
Thanks all

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 15 Dec 2018, 11:11

chrisoml wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 03:00
Well as for me, this morning when I checked My Vacancy Status has now changed to "Evaluation" still hoping for the next step...
I am not so sure about how inspira works best, but I believe that those who are more knowledgeable would comment on this.
Thanks all
Sorry to say but that doesn't sound too promising - if your own status doesn't change shortly after the vacancy status changes it is usually not a good sign. Anyways, good luck job hunting!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

chrisoml

Post by chrisoml » 16 Dec 2018, 14:52

Sebastian wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 11:11
chrisoml wrote:
Thanks all
Sorry to say but that doesn't sound too promising - if your own status doesn't change shortly after the vacancy status changes it is usually not a good sign. Anyways, good luck job hunting!
@Sebastian, I found it difficult to ascertain what you meant by the above statement.
You make it seems everything works automatically while in some other posts you reference how long these processes and updates take. Please you have to be consistent with your recommendations.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 18 Dec 2018, 23:28

chrisoml wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 14:52
Sebastian wrote:
chrisoml wrote:
Thanks all
@Sebastian, I found it difficult to ascertain what you meant by the above statement.
You make it seems everything works automatically while in some other posts you reference how long these processes and updates take. Please you have to be consistent with your recommendations.
  • May I ask what do you meant by consistency?
  • There is a load of information available in this forum, I would advise you to read, read and read. You will find all the answers to all of your questions.
  • Also applicants are advised to read the application manual before filling and filing the PHP.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 22 Dec 2018, 15:57

chrisoml wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 14:52
Sebastian wrote:
chrisoml wrote:
Thanks all
Hi, I'm back :)

There is much more on this topic on this board (as NevKen said): what I tried to say is the following: Once you apply you can follow the status of the application in Inspira. That means if the status progresses and you don't hear from them, you are not likely to be part of the process any longer. I.e. the application process is moving forward without telling you "as of now you are out" but if the status keeps changing and you don't hear from them it is not a good sign. Once the application is complete and you are not considered, you will learn that your application was not successful.

Does this make sense now?

Good luck for your future job hunting!