Leaving a UN internship for a NGO job?

The internship corner on the UN Job List - find your internships here: https://unjl.org/intern and then discuss how to get them in the forum!
H.O.P

Re: Leaving a UN internship for a NGO job?

Post by H.O.P » 30 Oct 2018, 20:58

Xulimar wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 20:31
Hi everybody, HOP thanks for your answer. It made me think. But i got a news: the written offer was just sent to me today and the payment is very, very good. It is just a 4 month offer for the moment, but the contract could be renewed later. TO me it's good that it's 4 months because that's a good time to understand if I like it or If i would rather come back to the country I am now and look for a job in protection here. About the tasks, this is coordination of projects, maintain institutional relationships (also with the UN, embassies and so on) in order to start new projects, so it is also a bit of fundraising (which no, i don't like at all), but i appreciate the organization and the projects they have, because it's also on protection (child) and human mobility I think.
So I am afraid of going too far from straight "Protection" work (which is my fav), and emergency and field work and case management, but at the same time If I am good enough at "selling" myself later maybe it won't be too risky. I mean i can sell my profile as coordination of project in child protection and not focus on the fundraising part. I am not in the position of refusing the offer right now, i can't, but of course it's not easy for me to think about doing that kind of job, and coordinating a team that already exists since years, btw.

About your point of me wanting to enter the UN at all costs, I don't think it's UN itself, but it's the Protection field that fascinates me. It could be with Norwegian Refugee Council, International Rescue Committee or other good NGOs (sometimes better than UN btw.....) and i would be very happy. I was told be some friends of one of these organizations (also a coordinator) that new vacancies will come and that i would fit the profile, so maybe if i had a chance with it i would accept, by they said they dont know when the vacancies would be posted.
Glad you've received an official letter. An actual job is always better than an internship anyway. Also, since it's not about the UN itself but more about your current task, then no need to remain there. You could always frame your CV to show protection as your strong points while minimising the fundraising task. Good luck!

Xulimar

Post by Xulimar » 30 Oct 2018, 21:12

Thank You dear H.o.P!! Sebastian, what do you think?
Yes i think i will try to focus my CV on Protection, at the same time i hope i will be good for the new job, it seems a huge responsibility you know.
And another point is my current bosses don't know nothing about it...I have to talk with them or at least one of them soon as the NGo wants me to start in another country in ONE month! We have a mission from Geneva so it's not easy to talk with the boss now. I hope she will understand, i will try to ask if she thinks that one day i could come back or if the fact i am leaving one month before could affect me.

Xulimar

Post by Xulimar » 30 Oct 2018, 22:44

And yes, they seem to appreciate my job, the Associate, who coordinates the Field Unit, says i should have a job not a internship due to my experience and the way I manage cases. But as you say UN is tricky and this is no guarantee for nothing, as I wrote in my last post, a lot of variable could interfere when it comes to be selected..

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 31 Oct 2018, 03:34

Xulimar wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 14:24
Dear all, i am so sorry to bother you but I have no idea what to do. The NGO that offered me the coordination job in another country (close by) has disappeared and never sent a mail with a written proposal. I didn't talk to my boss about the fact they want me to start on the 1 of december so i should live my internship contract one month before.
I am afraid the NGO will send something written (offer, salary etc) in weeks and it will be too late to tell my boss without consequences.
it is also that herr i see a lot of things moving in the UN and I know a lot of money and new vacancies will come in 2019 and it's hard to leqve knowing that I could do it.
Advices welcomed!!
Wait until you have a firm offer. Then you can decide...
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Xulimar

Post by Xulimar » 31 Oct 2018, 05:01

I received the offer!

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 31 Oct 2018, 05:34

Xulimar wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 05:01
I received the offer!
Sorry I mean the signed, legally binding contract incl. details on pay etc. if you got this, then you will need to decide...
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Xulimar

Post by Xulimar » 31 Oct 2018, 05:59

Xulimar wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 20:31
. But i got a news: the written offer was just sent to me today and the payment is very, very good. It is just a 4 month offer for the moment, but the contract could be renewed later. TO me it's good that it's 4 months because that's a good time to understand if I like it or If i would rather come back to the country I am now and look for a job in protection here. About the tasks, this is coordination of projects, maintain institutional relationships (also with the UN, embassies and so on) in order to start new projects, so it is also a bit of fundraising (which no, i don't like at all), but i appreciate the organization and the projects they have, because it's also on protection (child) and human mobility I think.
So I am afraid of going too far from straight "Protection" work (which is my fav), and emergency and field work and case management, but at the same time If I am good enough at "selling" myself later maybe it won't be too risky. I mean i can sell my profile as coordination of project in child protection and not focus on the fundraising part. I am not in the position of refusing the offer right now, i can't, but of course it's not easy for me to think about doing that kind of job, and coordinating a team that already exists since years, btw.

About your point of me wanting to enter the UN at all costs, I don't think it's UN itself, but it's the Protection field that fascinates me. It could be with Norwegian Refugee Council, International Rescue Committee or other good NGOs (sometimes better than UN btw.....) and i would be very happy. I was told be some friends of one of these organizations (also a coordinator) that new vacancies will come and that i would fit the profile, so maybe if i had a chance with it i would accept, by they said they dont know when the vacancies would be posted.
This is about the offer I received, with payment etc..and aññ.my thoughts - sorry i write too much

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 31 Oct 2018, 06:05

It is a very difficult decision and only you can make it. But personally I think I would take the job, explain it to your current supervisor and say that after 4 months (= you keep word for the new job) you are happy to return to UNHCR if there is use for your skills & a job there. Then you see what happens. If you apply to the UN later, than a (well paid) job is definitely looking good on your CV and even later it is great to have a bit of diversity in your experience. Good luck!

Xulimar

Post by Xulimar » 31 Oct 2018, 11:47

thabk you sooo much!