Un internships - position offered then refused by the UN

The internship corner on the UN Job List - find your internships here: https://unjl.org/intern and then discuss how to get them in the forum!
Caro Gr

Un internships - position offered then refused by the UN

Post by Caro Gr » 18 Sep 2018, 19:54

Dear all,

I have been trying to find similar cases to mine but I can't seem to be able to. So here it goes:

Back in May, I applied to a UN internship (UNDP) starting 1st July. I completed the apolication, interview and after a lot of waiting and unanswered emails, I got offered the position but it was delayed to 1st December (no explanation given).
İ confirmed my availability right away and waited again for another 1.5 months before they ask me to send a list of documents within 1 week. A few days after I did so, they send me a regret letter stating that I'm ineligible for the position as I graduated in July 2017 (1.5 years before the starting date of internship instead of 1).
Now, they knew very well about my graduation date and they still decided to offer me a position in December, only to tell me now that I can't have it.

My question is: aside from calling them and explaining the situation, which I doubt works, and finding an emergency education program to enroll in, is there anything I can do to try and change their mind ?

TIA.

Sebastian

Re: Un internships - position offered then refused by the UN

Post by Sebastian » 18 Sep 2018, 20:57

Caro Gr wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 19:54
My question is: aside from calling them and explaining the situation, which I doubt works, and finding an emergency education program to enroll in, is there anything I can do to try and change their mind ?
Sorry to hear. I guess UNDP is pretty strict with their internship requirements and this seems like the hiring manager not being fully aware at the time you applied (and then HR coming into the picture later).

I think calling them and trying to find a solution is the right thing to do. If they can't offer an internship, maybe they can offer a volunteer agreement / SSA (at a very very low rate)?

While I'm sorry that you are at the receiving end of this, I would like to offer another perspective as well: many organisations (in and outside the UN) are under fire for using too many low-paid/unpaid internships. The requirement to be enrolled in an eduction is to protect the individual and the organisation from using internships in lieu of other contracts. So I do understand where UNDP is coming from (of course they could have noticed that earlier and not get your hopes up...)
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Xulimar

Post by Xulimar » 26 Oct 2018, 21:47

you are not the only one....same for me, in UNHCR, i was selected and asked if i would cover all the cost before of havng the proposal, so it was clear they wanted me, i also refused another offer that was an actual job at University! and later they said they noticed I had graduated two years before, and it was not possible for me to do an internship there because the rule says you must be have max one year since you go graduated.
No joke! I was very disappointed but later i managed to to an internship, an paid, and in the same agency, in another country!
I feel better knowing that it wasnt just me because when it happens you feel like you are not lucky and every strange thing happens to you...

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 27 Oct 2018, 09:19

[MOD Comment:]I moved this topic here as it relates to Internships :) [/MOD]

Sorry to hear about these occurrences - I would always caution everyone to not take any internship/job/opportunity for granted until it has finally be signed and you have a contract. It is not happening every day but I have seen a few things that didn't work out last second.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Caro Gr

Post by Caro Gr » 28 Oct 2018, 11:10

Thanks Xulimar for letting me know that I wasn't alone as well! It's somehow comforting to know that it's not just me and that I am not crazy... And thank you Sebastian for your guidance.
I have tried emailing them, calling them and asking if there was any other way to still get a position at their agency given that the had been aware all along of the date of my graduation and that they had basically made me wait for nothing for 2 months... But nothing to do they just sent me off without an ounce of sympathy nor an apology.

Xulimar

Post by Xulimar » 28 Oct 2018, 19:32

I understand how you feel, imagine i was in a foreign country looking for a job without any money and many experiences and seeing friends getting internships in UN all around...it was horrible, but look at my case I am now a intern in UN (a old one jejeje) you are maybe younger than me and with lot of possibilities more, just keep on applying!

Grace

Post by Grace » 20 Nov 2018, 14:13

Hi. Under requirements for UNHCR internship does it require that you be a Citizen of that country where it is located? Or is it OK if you can find work permit on your own?

Also has anyone had success with the Internship Profile, location undetermined?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 20 Nov 2018, 16:43

Grace wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 14:13
Hi. Under requirements for UNHCR internship does it require that you be a Citizen of that country where it is located? Or is it OK if you can find work permit on your own?

Also has anyone had success with the Internship Profile, location undetermined?
I don't know about UNHCR - so please somebody correct me if you can - but typically all you need is a valid visa (in some cases workpermits) for the internship. For instance UN employees in the US need a G4 visa to work in the UN (that's no problem, the UN will get that for you) as an intern you don't need that, all that is requires is a B1/B2 visa (business visa). Of course I'm not an immigration lawyer, so check with the relevant HR focal point but I would always assume that internships are not only open to nationals of the country they are advertised in. Good luck!