reference again

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
cherrygirl

reference again

Post by cherrygirl » 26 Mar 2019, 13:27

Hi, I wrote it a few weeks ago about reference check.
Here I am back with a similar topic.
I came to know I actually got great reference feedback. But another factor came in and I did not get the job....sadly....

Now, just only after a few weeks, I am getting another reference check from one of the UN agencies.
I came to know only a few days later that the agency sent out reference check to my referees.
(This came as surprise because I did not expect to pass the interview....)
But I am worried as
1. Only 2 of 3 referees were contacted due to my mistake. I had provided old e-mail address of one of my referees.
I gave them updated contact details to the HR focal point just by mentioning casually the detail is updated.
But I did not hear back from her yet.
She has been very easily approachable since I was invited for the written test so this makes me worried.
2. If my 2 referees responded only about after 4 working days and the potential employer indicated the candidate should start ASAP, can this also cause a problem? Is it possible they would have moved without me thinking my reference would not respond?....even when it was only 4 working days?...

I am very worried as this is the second time I get asked for reference but because of previous experience...I have sort of trauma....
and everything looks like a bad sign to me. So can anyone who has understanding about this can respond to me?

NevKen

Re: reference again

Post by NevKen » 26 Mar 2019, 15:37

cherrygirl wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 13:27
I came to know I actually got great reference feedback. But another factor came in and I did not get the job....sadly....

Now, just only after a few weeks, I am getting another reference check from one of the UN agencies.
I came to know only a few days later that the agency sent out reference check to my referees.
But I am worried as
1. Only 2 of 3 referees were contacted due to my mistake. I had provided old e-mail address of one of my referees.
I gave them updated contact details to the HR focal point just by mentioning casually the detail is updated.
She has been very easily approachable since I was invited for the written test so this makes me worried.
2. If my 2 referees responded only about after 4 working days and the potential employer indicated the candidate should start ASAP, can this also cause a problem? Is it possible they would have moved without me thinking my reference would not respond?....even when it was only 4 working days?...

I am very worried as this is the second time I get asked for reference but because of previous experience...I have sort of trauma....
and everything looks like a bad sign to me. So can anyone who has understanding about this can respond to me?

The situation you detailed here: 'they need you more than you need them' so let them worry instead. Common sense, if they are happy with two referees why you want to impose on them to check the third. Finally, if the job has your name on it then traumas are nothing but a waste of time. Save a smile rather and be patient.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 26 Mar 2019, 16:39

NevKen wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 15:37
cherrygirl wrote:

But I am worried as

The situation you detailed here: 'they need you more than you need them' so let them worry instead. Common sense, if they are happy with two referees why you want to impose on them to check the third. Finally, if the job has your name on it then traumas are nothing but a waste of time. Save a smile rather and be patient.
Thanks for saying this NevKen "Finally, if the job has your name on it then traumas are nothing but a waste of time. Save a smile rather and be patient."
I am currently having some traumas over a P2 interview that I recently did. This is a reminder that, if it is mine, I will scale through. I am going to relax and be patient with this UN process, not minding how hard it can get sometimes.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 26 Mar 2019, 17:42

H.O.P wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 16:39
Thanks for saying this NevKen "Finally, if the job has your name on it then traumas are nothing but a waste of time. Save a smile rather and be patient."
I am currently having some traumas over a P2 interview that I recently did. This is a reminder that, if it is mine, I will scale through. I am going to relax and be patient with this UN process, not minding how hard it can get sometimes.
All the best !

cherrygirl

Post by cherrygirl » 26 Mar 2019, 22:06

NevKen wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 15:37
cherrygirl wrote:

But I am worried as

Thank you NevKev. I always forget that being patient is one of the keys to get into and survive in the UN system.
Also thinking of it what you've mentioned, indeed they are the ones who have to worry, not me. Thanks NevKev.