Not got the job after written test, interview & successful reference check for a P3 position

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
motez

Not got the job after written test, interview & successful reference check for a P3 position

Post by motez » 12 Apr 2019, 07:44

Hello all,

I wish to have your opinions on the following topic.

I was in two recruitment processes with UNICEF : one for a GS-5, step 5, position in my country and the second for a P3 position in another country. Given my experience, I was more interested in the P3 position, as the GS-5 position for me is just for a transition period because I have relevant experience to qualify for Professional Category.

My problem is that I did well for both opportunities including written test, interview and successful reference checks. The offer for the GS-5 position came first and I had to accept or decline within 01 week. In the mean time I wondered if by accepting the GS-5 position would disqualify me from the P3 position. I seeked advices from HR team and nobody accepted to orient me in that situation. Finally, without advice I accepted the GS-5 offer, thinking that I would also be considered for P3 position and may resign from the GS-5 position by the time I'm receiving the P3 offer.

After two months, I got a feedback from the HR team for the P3, saying that I was not selected because their office recommended me as a second choice. and that the first candidate accepted the offer.

My question is : Can a candidate under serious consideration be placed only as a second choice candidate after passing successfully all the steps ?
Did they just disqualify me from the P3 position because I already accepted the GS-5 position in my country ?
How many candidates usually go through reference check stage in UN at the same time for the same position ? I thought if you reach the reference check stage you will probably get the job, except you decline then they will contact the second candidate for reference check.

Honestly I felt sad and thought that there might be something wrong in the process, because I looked for advice from the HR department and nobody provided any helpful information.

Thanks for your opinions in advance !!

cherrygirl

Re: Not got the job after written test, interview & successful reference check for a P3 position

Post by cherrygirl » 18 Apr 2019, 07:21

Hey that had happened to me too. My case was a bit different.
I scored the same with another candidate but the Review Board approved the one had another favorable factor.
I was sad for more than a week and when I spoke with a friend from the same agency I was told it happens in some cases.

motez

Re: Not got the job after written test, interview & successful reference check for a P3 position

Post by motez » 18 Apr 2019, 07:31

Hello,
Thanks for your experience on the topic.
I'm now more aware of those things where you can't think of a successful process untill you have received an offer.

suresnes

Post by suresnes » 18 Apr 2019, 13:36

motez wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 07:31
Hello,
Thanks for your experience on the topic.
I'm now more aware of those things where you can't think of a successful process untill you have received an offer.
does that mean u didnt get the job for GS-5 as well...?

If u did get a job for GS-5, how long did each process take you after returning the offer of appointment and release letter? Doesnt it ask u to contact ur previous employers to send the employment verification letter to the UN?! How long did it take u?

motez

Post by motez » 18 Apr 2019, 13:45

I accepted the offer, as it was at G-5, step 5, although lesser than my current salary.

I'm happy for that.
It's never easy getting into the UN system.

suresnes

Post by suresnes » 18 Apr 2019, 13:49

motez wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 13:45
I accepted the offer, as it was at G-5, step 5, although lesser than my current salary.

I'm happy for that.
Good to hear congratulations! For some it is something to look up for!

I was Just wondering about the time it took u cause i also got the offer of appointment, recently and returned the signed letter. Havent heard anything for over a week.

Thanks

cherrygirl

Post by cherrygirl » 18 Apr 2019, 15:34

suresnes wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 13:49
motez wrote:

I'm happy for that.

I was Just wondering about the time it took u cause i also got the offer of appointment, recently and returned the signed letter. Havent heard anything for over a week.

Thanks
Iunderstand how frustrated you must be buti think a week is nothing in the UN...says the one who is being frustrated just because the news still did not arrive in my inbox exactly after the estimated timeline given by the panel :D

suresnes

Post by suresnes » 18 Apr 2019, 15:52

cherrygirl wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 15:34
suresnes wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 13:49
motez wrote:

I'm happy for that.

Thanks
Iunderstand how frustrated you must be buti think a week is nothing in the UN...says the one who is being frustrated just because the news still did not arrive in my inbox exactly after the estimated timeline given by the panel :D
Lol.. its definitely a pain. I cant imagine that something could go wrong after being offered an appointment..i guess right? But still.. since i dont know wats going on up there..fingers crossed for both :)