Ungraded Scale - IOM

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
UnitedCandidates

Ungraded Scale - IOM

Post by UnitedCandidates » 19 May 2019, 01:43

Found a good opportunity that requires 7 years of experience. Although it's stated as Professional Staff, it is at Scale "UG". The position is for six months but can be extended.

That UG equals to P2, P3? I wonder why not classify it as a P-something...

Does anyone have a clue?

NevKen

Re: Ungraded Scale - IOM

Post by NevKen » 19 May 2019, 11:34

USG = Under Secretary General
UG = Under General (7+ years of professional experience) It's because this is the second highest office in the UN and always required matured staff.

P (Professional levels) are technically different. Also G(General levels) are not lower level but the group deals mostly the admin. Hope this work ...

UnitedCandidates

Post by UnitedCandidates » 20 May 2019, 03:01

Nevkev, i'm afraid you misunderstood it!

UG, in this case, stands for Ungraded, even being a professional staff job. I'm assuming the payscale will be like a P2 or P3, but quite not sure...that's the point of my questioning!

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 20 May 2019, 08:52

UnitedCandidates wrote:
20 May 2019, 03:01
Nevkev, i'm afraid you misunderstood it!

UG, in this case, stands for Ungraded, even being a professional staff job. I'm assuming the payscale will be like a P2 or P3, but quite not sure...that's the point of my questioning!
Do you mind sharing the VA link... I haven't heard the term 'ungraded' in the UN HRMS - normally it's stated as Un-classified (levels and/or grade yet to be classified - or the VA is out of the scope of ordinary classification system)

UnitedCandidates

Post by UnitedCandidates » 21 May 2019, 03:30

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 21 May 2019, 09:29

UnitedCandidates wrote:
21 May 2019, 03:30
Just like this...an example: https://mozambique.iom.int/sites/defaul ... cation.pdf
Thanks for sharing, this is something new for me. All I can make of it is that that they determine the salary on the spot.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 02 Jun 2019, 08:10

Hi there,

alright, I can talk a little about this. Ungraded positions are similar to other non-staff contracts in that they don't fall under the UN Common System rules and regulations but - in contrast to e.g. the UNOPS ICA - carry the staff status. I would infer from the required years of experience where to peg this vis-a-vis the P-Grades. It is a very interesting modality and I would encourage people that are on UG contracts to share their experience here. Thanks!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

tomaszakf

Post by tomaszakf » 17 Aug 2019, 11:00

Hi Sebastian,
When you say ungraded positions carry staff status, does that include insurance and tax exemptions?
Also is there a pay scale for ungraded positions that you are aware of at IOM?