FROM UNV TO STAFF

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
UnitedCandidates

FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by UnitedCandidates » 21 May 2019, 03:35

Hello!

How often or how common an actual UNV, at the end of his contract could receive an offer to be a staff like P2 or P3?

Does the UN system as a whole is allowed to offer contracts without a public VA and process?

H.O.P

Re: FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by H.O.P » 21 May 2019, 07:20

Since becoming a UNV, I have seen former UNVs who are now staff members. Some were hired after completing their UNV maximum time (initially 6 years and now 4 years). But, last year the rule has changed and you can now be directly recruited even as a current UNV. A former colleague was hired on a P2 TJO and I, myself was just in a competition for a P2. So, there is a chance although not automatic. You have to find your way. There are so many who also don't get anything. So many are about to leave soon without getting a staff contract.
Everything is about your timing, luck/fate.

cherrygirl

Post by cherrygirl » 24 May 2019, 11:21

I've seen some UNVs becoming consultant or staff member after leaving the UN system for a few years. There needs to be a post that matches the candidate's candidate and it does not always happen when your contract as an UNV finishes. As H.O.P mentioned it, really depends a lot on luck and internal politics. I mean even being in an TA staff does not guarantee anything for anyone.

sxmd

Post by sxmd » 29 May 2019, 11:04

Like both colleagues before me stated, anything can happen after a UNV appointment, be it becoming a consultant having a service contract or becoming a staff member, but nothing is automatic. You have to really forge good relationships if you want to go beyond the time of your UNV appointment.
Does the UN system as a whole is allowed to offer contracts without a public VA and process?
In short, not for staff positions. Even if a post is "for you", you will have to go through a sham recruitment process, which in my opinion is a waste of the organization's and many candidate's time and resources. Direct contracts can happen for consultancies under some instances. I got hired through a direct contract for a short consultancy after my UNV post (performing the same functions).