UNOPS ICAA contract status and benefits

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
pupuce

UNOPS ICAA contract status and benefits

Post by pupuce » 21 Apr 2019, 05:56

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to get a sense of UNOPS ICAA contracts and how they differ from the usual UN professional positions (P3/P4 for example).
I would be very grateful for your clarifications please.
1) Are ICAA holders considered UN staff and do they get the same benefits? Such as relocation allowance and rental subsidies, and pension fund contribution (UNJSPF) for example? Is the salary tax-free?
2) Also, are there steps within an ICAA level as is the case for P3 and P4 levels? So that one can negotiate levels when they get an offer for an ICAA contract? For example if they offer ICS 12 can one negotiate to be on step 1 or step 5?
Thanks a lot in advance for any input on these!

NevKen

Re: UNOPS ICAA contract status and benefits

Post by NevKen » 21 Apr 2019, 15:52

pupuce wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 05:56
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to get a sense of UNOPS ICAA contracts and how they differ from the usual UN professional positions (P3/P4 for example).
1) Are ICAA holders considered UN staff and do they get the same benefits? Such as relocation allowance and rental subsidies, and pension fund contribution (UNJSPF) for example? Is the salary tax-free?
2) Also, are there steps within an ICAA level as is the case for P3 and P4 levels? So that one can negotiate levels when they get an offer for an ICAA contract? For example if they offer ICS 12 can one negotiate to be on step 1 or step 5?
There is already a lot of information on the topic, if you browse through ...for details !

Straightforwardly ICA Individual Contractor Agreement (I+ICA and L+ICA) are simply a Contractor agreement, thus they are not equivalent to P (Personnel) level, by law. The Personnels are the employee of the UN and when in shortage, UN use contractor's services to supplement the work (but not the perks).

pupuce

Post by pupuce » 21 Apr 2019, 21:42

Thank you. I know the difference between the 2 status. I was more looking for specifics on contract conditions hoping a UNOPS contractor could help and shed some light into it. I'll browse through the forum. Thanks

cherrygirl

Post by cherrygirl » 24 Apr 2019, 13:00

pupuce wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 05:56
Hi everyone,
As far as I know, IICA does not get any benefit as other staff P does. But I did not have to pay tax.

pupuce

Post by pupuce » 25 Apr 2019, 21:52

[/quote]
As far as I know, IICA does not get any benefit as other staff P does. But I did not have to pay tax.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing this piece of information.

Stevo

Post by Stevo » 26 Apr 2019, 02:58

No tax? Interesting as seems to counter other postings I have read on this forum

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 27 Apr 2019, 09:51

Stevo wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 02:58
No tax? Interesting as seems to counter other postings I have read on this forum
UN income and taxation is complex and interesting. I can give you a bit of my take - but note that I'm certainly not a tax accountant so please make sure that anything you read here (and elsewhere) is verified before you act on it :)

So for some countries (e.g. the US) everybody is tax liable no matter where they reside, no matter what jobs they have. This means that no matter the contract modality, UN personnel who have American citizenship will need to pay taxes in the US, even if they don't live there / have never lived there. The UN reimburses these taxes for some contract types (e.g. for Continuous Appointments, Fixed Terms).

Then there are countries where the matter of taxation depends on the UN's recognition in the country. For instance, some countries require specific UN organisations to be registered with the country's tax authorities to have any UN income (again regardless of contract type) be considered as tax exempt. This could lead to the (unfortunate) situation that e.g. income from UN agency A is tax exempt and income from from other agencies are not.

Then we have the situation where a country exempts UN personnel from income taxes but starts to discriminate according to contract type (e.g. FTA vs. Contractor agreement or local vs. international).

Lastly, we have many countries where all UN income regardless of contract type and local/international status is tax-free.

For instance all UNOPS contracts (regardless of ICA, FTA, Local/International etc.) in Denmark are tax-exempt from Danish income taxes (under the current Host Country agreement). However, if you are e.g. an American who is liable for income tax in the US, this tax exemption is not of big help since you still will need to pay US income taxes to the IRS.

In short: this is a complicated topic. When it comes to your individual situation, make sure you verify your status with the organisation you are applying to and get their response in writing - then you should be covered. Good luck! ;)
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Hertz1976

Post by Hertz1976 » 01 May 2019, 11:56

@ NevKen

Would you be so kind as to help me/us find the "lot of information on the topic"? Apologies, but searched for it, and could not find the information Pupuce was trying to get.

@ anybody else
For me in particular, I am trying to evaluate the proposition I am being made from a TA position away from home to a UNOPS based at home with a young daughter (I am a single parent), I am trying to understand if an I-LCA contract would allow me to stay enrolled in the UNJSPF scheme I have had for nearly 4 years (as I really want to get over the 5-year hurdle) or I am basically losing it (as my new employing organization’s portion - UNOPS - is no longer twice my amount).
For the rest, I have understood that I will have to look for health insurance myself.

I look forward to your support, dear forum members.

Marielena21

Post by Marielena21 » 14 Jun 2019, 16:10

Hi Everyone, I am also trying to get a sense of the IICA benefits. I have browsed through the forum and there is some information on IICA level equivalency. But as far as benefits are concerned, do you get a relocation allowance, housing allowance, annual leave, etc. Most importantly I am trying to understand is if UNOPS will provide visas to your spouse and dependent children. For me, this would be a major issue if my children cannot move with me.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 15 Jun 2019, 09:18

Marielena21 wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 16:10
Hi Everyone, I am also trying to get a sense of the IICA benefits. I have browsed through the forum and there is some information on IICA level equivalency. But as far as benefits are concerned, do you get a relocation allowance, housing allowance, annual leave, etc. Most importantly I am trying to understand is if UNOPS will provide visas to your spouse and dependent children. For me, this would be a major issue if my children cannot move with me.
Hi there,

on the IICA: the idea is that many of the benefits paid individually otherwise are lump-summed and included in one monthly fee. The monthly take-home fee should thus not be directly compared to e.g. a FTA take-home salary. So when you negotiate, you will need to know your priorities & needs and see if they are covered in the offer.

In short, the ICA has:
- Annual Leave (just like any other decent contract): 2.5 days of leave / month
- Sick Leave
- Parental Leave (paternity & maternity)
- You get a ticket to the duty station for yourself at contract begin and at contract end paid
- The organisation will try to get a visa for you. Note that different countries treat UN personnel differently: in Denmark it is no problem to get a visa for yourself, your spouse and the kids when working for the UN, in other countries this can vary. Often times there is also an option to get a work-permit for the spouse. But I would very strongly advise you to double-check all of the above and verify it with HR before you take a decision.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.