Number of applications

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Jannu

Number of applications

Post by Jannu » 12 Aug 2019, 07:46

Can anyone explain why all the UN related organizations do not give the number of applications they have received? I do not get any good reason to hide that information. Is there even any statistics to get some kind of idea how many people are applying? Where I come from you have to openly tell how many applications there was and even the names of those people (unless you have asked not to tell your name).

jane27

Re: Number of applications

Post by jane27 » 19 Aug 2019, 21:15

Jannu wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 07:46
Can anyone explain why all the UN related organizations do not give the number of applications they have received? I do not get any good reason to hide that information. Is there even any statistics to get some kind of idea how many people are applying? Where I come from you have to openly tell how many applications there was and even the names of those people (unless you have asked not to tell your name).
Hi, Jannu! I'm not sure if there's a policy about that. But whatever they are, they must be governed/determined by the ICSC.
But from experience, 1 post = hundreds

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 20 Aug 2019, 08:30

jane27 wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 21:15
Jannu wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 07:46
Hi, Jannu! I'm not sure if there's a policy about that. But whatever they are, they must be governed/determined by the ICSC.
But from experience, 1 post = hundreds
Indeed, I concur - one post can easily be hundreds of applications.
However, if you speak with HR Officers - they sometimes have the challenge of not finding a single suitable candidate - I once wrote about that in my blog here:

https://www.rottmair.de/2011/04/11/visu ... vacancies/

So yes, it depends on the job, the duty station and the grade...
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Jannu

Post by Jannu » 26 Aug 2019, 10:22

May times I have asked this from various UN common system organizations and answer is always "we can not tell it". So why to hide it? Yes, we all understand that it is hundreds in many cases then why not openly tell the exact number? It would help people to understand heavy and slow recruitment process.