UN Volunteering

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
johne

Re: UN Volunteering

Post by johne » 30 Oct 2019, 12:22

starryhindsight wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 18:33
On another note, I am about to end my UNV contract with UNHCR in two months. I've learnt a lot, even picked up a language and now at an intermediate level. I am confident that they would like me to extend, but I would like to risk trying for a different area, preferably a hardship location this time. Just reflecting out loud, would some of you advice me to extend (it's a safe area, safe job, hard work but I am the best at what I do) or to risk ending the contract and potentially not getting any job at all or being offered somewhere not ideal.
it depends what is your reasoning to change positions? If being safe physically and economically is not your area of concern, then look at the fact that you are "best at what you do"; therefore, you are more beneficial for the world and UN at this current time. What if you get another position and will not be the best? That being said...it is totally up to you. If you feel like developing and going further, then why not. If it just because of "hardship" location, then you will probably get this opportunity later on, especially since you are the best at it and willing to go there.

Papa

Post by Papa » 07 Nov 2019, 17:07

Hey Starryhindsight,
Good to hear about your mission. My UNV assignment with UNDP was to end in July but was extended to October and then 31st December. Its a really hardship area. Two of my colleagues resigned, I was a thinking of resigning then I remembered how hard I had worked to get there. Its been almost one year now but am very happy for the experience I have gained.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 07 Nov 2019, 20:13

Thanks all, I have some insights into what I'm going to do next, though I'm still circling between extending and not extending every few days.
Papa wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 17:07
Hey Starryhindsight,
Good to hear about your mission. My UNV assignment with UNDP was to end in July but was extended to October and then 31st December. Its a really hardship area. Two of my colleagues resigned, I was a thinking of resigning then I remembered how hard I had worked to get there. Its been almost one year now but am very happy for the experience I have gained.

Now that it's about to be a year, are you considering to prolong the contract?

Ruks

Post by Ruks » 10 Nov 2019, 15:11

Hi everyone,

Please how many times can a profile be sent for proposal before you land a UN assignment?

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 12 Nov 2019, 12:07

I don't believe there is a limit (:

Ruks

Post by Ruks » 13 Nov 2019, 05:57

So a profile can keep getting proposed without every landing a UNV assignment.

Grace

Post by Grace » 13 Nov 2019, 06:40

It has been 6 weeks since my interview at Unhcr regional office. But no response from them or from Bonn.

What is the average post interview waiting time?

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 14 Nov 2019, 16:51

I waited three weeks before I received news and I wouldn't be surprised if many people waited much longer.

lubeto

Post by lubeto » 15 Nov 2019, 11:58

Hi guys,

I would really appreciate your support.

First, my unv assignment had come to an end mid June. My initial duration was for six months, and then I got two extension for a total of period 1.5 years. I`m struggling and hoping to secure a second unv assignment ASAP, but I wonder if they`re giving chances to applicants with no experience with UNV, or I have a good chance to get a second one. What do you think? For the last six months my profile has been proposed to 3 different locations, had one interview, unfortunately, unsuccessful... And now I've been shortlisted for an interview the coming week.

Second, my interview is scheduled on Sunday and it`s a skype interview. What does that means? Is it a written test or a competency based interview? If it was a written interview, probably, they should have mention it in the invitation, right?

Your comments would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 07 Dec 2019, 09:29

If it's a Skype interview I very much doubt it's a written one. It should be again another competency based interview. Good luck with the process!

I extended my UNV contract also based on feedback of former UNVs that say there is no guarantee you get reselected after a service, you go through the process as usual and there's always a chance not to get selected. I decided to chase after my dream of going to hardship locations in another way (aka I made my interest be known that I wanted to join the Emergency Roster we have).