From Professional to General Service and back

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
finsalscollons

From Professional to General Service and back

Post by finsalscollons » 11 Aug 2019, 09:42

Good morning.

I have read that, if you start your UN experience in a job included in the General Service category, it is very difficult to move to a Professional (P) job. You get stuck in GS category.

In my case, I have worked as a P3 and I am interested in a GS vacancy. If I get this GS job, will this mean that I won't be able to get another P job in the future?

To say it with humor, is it true that "once a GS, always a GS"?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance,

jane27

Re: From Professional to General Service and back

Post by jane27 » 19 Feb 2020, 14:45

Hi, @finsalscollons ,
There's a chance for GS to become international staff. I have a few friends who were GS in the Secretariat and in UN agencies who are now international staff (P2 and P3 posts). There's also a G-to-P exam at UNHQ, where my friend passed and became P2. She's now in a P3 position.
Have you applied a GS one? It must also be beneficial to you, especially you could be in your home with family and friends.
“Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman