Coronavirus travel for UN staff

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
starryhindsight

Coronavirus travel for UN staff

Post by starryhindsight » 10 Jul 2020, 04:43

I'm posting this issue on behalf of someone, who's a G6 in a UN agency in MENA region but was initially recruited from abroad (the States) sometime in February (with the expectations they travel to the duty station) and now stranded there because of COVID-19 and the fact that it's not safe right now to travel. She has been performing her functions so far remotely with no issues, but now (July) has been told that her job may be at risk if she doesn't return soon. Now our question is, what are the rights available for her, any guidelines she can use to strengthen her position? A lot of her co-workers are still working remotely at the duty station, which has not been any issue so far, she's also not a critical staff member and there were no task that was affected by her not being present at the duty station.

cherrygirl

Re: Coronavirus travel for UN staff

Post by cherrygirl » 11 Jul 2020, 09:39

Hi, I was recruited right before Covid19 so could not travel to the duty station. I am doing remote work as your colleague is. I recently communicated about my tentative date for travel and my agency gave me an internal guideline discussing how to set the return date. If I do not return within recommended return date (for let's say more personal reason) then I will lose such benefits as resident subsidy. But if this happens because of travel restriction for example, then it does not become my responsibility. There should be some sort of an internal guideline, which she can ask for?

starryhindsight

Re: Coronavirus travel for UN staff

Post by starryhindsight » 16 Jul 2020, 12:25

Perfect thank you!