UN Volunteering

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Sebastian

Re: UN Volunteering

Post by Sebastian » 22 Sep 2018, 08:17

I worked with UNV in the past and I think they are really trying to do amazing things! I know sometimes that the process might seem longish - and then of course the nature of the volunteer flow is, that many folks are involved... Anyways, I fully understand that this is not very easy to follow from the outside (and often times not easy to follow from the inside either!).

If you want, let's open a separate topic on references - the dos, don'ts etc. I'm happy to contribute there, too.

But most importantly: all the best and good luck with your processes - I hope they will resolve themselves positively. After two weeks, I think it is ok to follow up...
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 22 Sep 2018, 10:08

F.M. wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 14:21
May I ask you in what "Reference Check" consists?

I am somehow concerned because... Well, you know, they call your boss and you get fired in 5 minutes from your job. At the same time I wouldn't like to 'use' older references.

In private sector, 90% of future employers gladly accept wide ranges of colleagues/clients/collaborators instead of supervisors, knowing that companies always have a finger on the trigger.

It's another aspect that keeps many UN opportunities strictly bounded to people already in the system or in similar agencies. I mean, especially if you work in really competitive sectors, you cannot throw away your current job place because somebody wants to speak with your boss before actually making an offer.

In the mail I have received from UNV they demanded to keep references up-to-date and I have an older one that should work perfectly, but, still, I find little sense in this specific procedure.
Hmm... For me, they asked me to upload all education certificates, my dependant information and my passport. I have always had my references listed maybe that is why they didn't ask for it. My references are actually just two, one is academic and the other a mentor (who worked in the same office I did before but not directly with me). So, I do not have this problem of having a current employer listed. Also, if you tick "NO" on whether they should contact your employer right away, then they can only contact them only when you've been chosen.

F.M.

Post by F.M. » 24 Sep 2018, 07:10

Thank you very much for the answers! They're extremely valuable.

I strongly hope to be selected of course, let's see what happens

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 24 Sep 2018, 10:44

F.M. wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 07:10

I believe UNV is using an online tool for their work, is that correct? If so, could you help to list the different status codes the system tells you over here?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88

You would be helping me and others for future processes... Thanks!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 24 Sep 2018, 12:22

F.M. wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 07:10

Hi F.M

Another way you can know if you've been shortlisted is to check your "My Assignment Proposal" Column. If the buttons there have changed to "No Action Required" instead of the button "Unavailable for Assignment' then you must have been shortlisted. I remember seeing this happen even before I received an invitation for interview email from the office in South Sudan.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 25 Sep 2018, 12:29

I got selected for the IUNV position. Thanks all for the positive energy.

I was reminded not to quit yet my position, but I am asked to suggest a tentative starting date. Would this affect the final decision in any way? I just feel like it's important to give my organization a heads up so as not to burn bridges and my work. How long does the process generally take from this point to deployment?

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 25 Sep 2018, 13:04

starryhindsight wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 12:29
I got selected for the IUNV position. Thanks all for the positive energy.

I was reminded not to quit yet my position, but I am asked to suggest a tentative starting date. Would this affect the final decision in any way? I just feel like it's important to give my organization a heads up so as not to burn bridges and my work. How long does the process generally take from this point to deployment?
Hi Starryhindsight,

I am currently in the same category as you are. I was contacted 2 weeks ago. I sent in all the requested documents 3 days after I was contacted and chose a tentative travel date and because they also asked me not to resign yet, I chose 6 weeks from the date I was contacted as a tentative departure date to give me room to prepare/resign before I leave. But last week I did not hear back from them and I am still waiting to see if I will hear anything this week. Hopefully, they don't take more than 3 weeks to offer a contract because then I may not be able to properly prepare. Fingers crossed as we continue to wait.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 27 Sep 2018, 00:00

I took a leaf out of your page and also gave a timeframe of 6 weeks onwards. Hope that's a reasonable timeframe.

How do I deal with pre-planned vacations? I am hoping I get to spend Christmas and New Years with family, but I also don't want to start only after this holiday period...

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 27 Sep 2018, 06:38

starryhindsight wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 00:00
I took a leaf out of your page and also gave a timeframe of 6 weeks onwards. Hope that's a reasonable timeframe.

How do I deal with pre-planned vacations? I am hoping I get to spend Christmas and New Years with family, but I also don't want to start only after this holiday period...
This also has been a concern of mine. How do I incorporate the Christmas and New Year Holidays with my family with all this because I definitely want to spend it with them. It’s so confusing. But, I’m just going to go with the flow for now until then.

sidibarkouk

Post by sidibarkouk » 07 Oct 2018, 15:43

Hi everyone,
I really hope you can help me with this one.

I have got a M. Sc. in BA, already 1 year of working experience (even though all internships).

My situation since July:
- 18 applications for internships resulted in 2 interviews + 1 written assignment (waiting for skype interview in a week);
- 3 applications for UNV (my preferred solution, but they would start in march).

The positions for which I'm waiting for the interview is one of my top choiches, despite being an unpaid internship; however, the UNV positions (UNV Youth) could fit even better with my skills and experience.

Hence, I have 2 questions for you guys:
1- In case I got selected for the mentioned internship, should I accept the position and start working?
2- Can I "resign" from an internship and right after it start working as a UNV?

Please help me guys :roll: