Success stories!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
mdr

Re: Success stories!

Post by mdr » 28 Sep 2018, 14:56

Mod edit: removed upon the request of the author.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 28 Sep 2018, 15:58

mdr wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 14:56
Such wonderful news! Congratulations!

Ndechitu

Post by Ndechitu » 28 Sep 2018, 16:14

mdr wrote:
Congratulations mdr.

mdr

Post by mdr » 28 Sep 2018, 17:07

Thanks, H.O.P and Ndechitu! It's been a long, difficult journey but if my experience could offer anything- keep striving til you get there! It may take a long while but it's not impossible! I'd like to add that besides my one UN internship, I had no prior background in government or international development as I actually came from the private sector (long story for another time perhaps) so definitely possible to make this transition! I'll update soon again! As someone who struggled to get their foot in the door and constantly looking for information on this, I know I'd have like these kinds of insights and I really wish people who were successful before did a much better job at sharing.

D*Star

Post by D*Star » 29 Sep 2018, 07:24

Congratulations Starbuck! Congratulations Ndechitu! Congratulations Starryhindsight! Congratulations Mdr! You guys rock. So Happy for you all.

wlimiadyx

Post by wlimiadyx » 30 Sep 2018, 13:59

mdr wrote:
After over 300 applications in the past 3 years which yielded only 3 interviews and 3 exams for a dream I had since I was 10 (20 years in the making..), I can finally say.. I GOT IT! I've been crying everyday since I got the news because it feels so surreal and I'm so thankful.

Actually, I meant to announce this further along the relocation process but I felt I had to let everyone know that careless oversights can happen during this precarious time between announcement of offer and confirmation. So a bit of background detail, I was just appointed as FAO JPO in Natural Resources (Climate Change) to the Regional Office for Africa in Ghana.
Congratulations, mdr! I'm happy to hear your wonderful story! Truly perseverance paid off. I'd like to hear more of your story (I'm applying for JPO FAO Agroecology) but let's take it offline. I have sent you a Private Message. Happy to connect with you!

Thanks and wish you great success in Accra!
Cheers

Will

Ndechitu

Post by Ndechitu » 30 Sep 2018, 17:52

D*Star wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 07:24
Congratulations Starbuck! Congratulations Ndechitu! Congratulations Starryhindsight! Congratulations Mdr! You guys rock. So Happy for you all.
Thank you D*Star. Patience pays.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 01 Oct 2018, 04:10

H.O.P wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 13:52
starryhindsight wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 13:25
Just got a UNV offer pending medical clearance. (: Thanks everyone!
Wow! Congratulations! How long did you wait between reference checking and receiving an offer? I am still waiting on them. I am wondering now if I should send a gentle reminder to see if there is a problem?
It was pretty much the next day, but I submitted all my academic documents early on, so there wasn't much else to check aside from filling up information such as country of departure, emergency contacts, etc. Now I am in contact with them about accepting the offer, sending my bank information and doing some tests online. I am still waiting for medical clearance.

I guess UNV might be slow, I've heard complaints, so I think you shouldn't necessarily worry. Also I think that your duty station is a lot more complicated than mine, information wise, and conditions wise (visa/medical clearance), so maybe it takes a bit more time. But anyway I think you can also go ahead and send a gentle reminder, UNV does the hiring so it's not like they would withdraw your offer just because you are a little bit persistent.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 01 Oct 2018, 07:51

starryhindsight wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 04:10
H.O.P wrote:
starryhindsight wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 13:25
Just got a UNV offer pending medical clearance. (: Thanks everyone!
Wow! Congratulations! How long did you wait between reference checking and receiving an offer? I am still waiting on them. I am wondering now if I should send a gentle reminder to see if there is a problem?
It was pretty much the next day, but I submitted all my academic documents early on, so there wasn't much else to check aside from filling up information such as country of departure, emergency contacts, etc. Now I am in contact with them about accepting the offer, sending my bank information and doing some tests online. I am still waiting for medical clearance.

I guess UNV might be slow, I've heard complaints, so I think you shouldn't necessarily worry. Also I think that your duty station is a lot more complicated than mine, information wise, and conditions wise (visa/medical clearance), so maybe it takes a bit more time. But anyway I think you can also go ahead and send a gentle reminder, UNV does the hiring so it's not like they would withdraw your offer just because you are a little bit persistent.
Thanks for getting back to me. They finally sent mine in the evening of 30th September. They took about a bit over a week. I guess it's true my duty station is more difficult.

mdr

Post by mdr » 01 Oct 2018, 10:13

H.O.P wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 07:51
starryhindsight wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 04:10
H.O.P wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me. They finally sent mine in the evening of 30th September. They took about a bit over a week. I guess it's true my duty station is more difficult.
Hey H.O.P! Congratulations! I take it that you had to wait some time for your offer letter too? Since my follow-up was just on Friday, I'm expecting a call today on Monday.. Haha after that missed email, I'm getting a little nervous and thinking was I too early to celebrate? Was thinking of making a new post about waiting for offer letter/relocation process until I saw your comment.