Medical clearance

Things to know before you start applying to jobs in the United Nations. Also, other tips and tricks, common pitfalls and place to discuss employment scams.
Annzie

Medical clearance

Post by Annzie » 14 Sep 2018, 18:58

I was told by the HR that a medical clearance has to be done. What does it consist of?
I am in the stage of reference checking.

Sebastian

Re: Medical clearance

Post by Sebastian » 14 Sep 2018, 19:09

Yes, that's typically required. You will need to go to a UN doctor and do a (pretty standard) medical check-up.

Anybody knows the details?
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Anja

Post by Anja » 18 Sep 2018, 07:14

As far as I know it is a pretty standard medical checkup. Nothing really stood out from it. I guess the organization has a duty of care and wants to make sure there are no issues...

kiko

Post by kiko » 21 Sep 2018, 10:52

First of all congratulations , as you are in the final stage of the recrutement process.

The medical clearance is required for any recruitment for six months or longer to ensure, as far as possible, that you physically and mentally fit to perform the functions

atmonarman

Post by atmonarman » 19 Oct 2018, 10:41

Do they also make bood tests? I am currently in three selection processes, and I have a high level of cholesterol. I guess it's not important to pass the medical examination, but...just in case

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 19 Oct 2018, 11:25

atmonarman wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 10:41
Do they also make bood tests? I am currently in three selection processes, and I have a high level of cholesterol. I guess it's not important to pass the medical examination, but...just in case
Yes, blood tests are taken. No, I have never heard anybody having problems due to their cholesterol...
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 19 Oct 2018, 14:57

atmonarman wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 10:41
Actually, I just received my medical clearance and it consists of a series of test. They will typically give you a form called "the Entry Medical Examination Form". It is used by all UN Offices and Agencies (on top of the form has all the names of the organisations). You will fill out the part first 2 pages with your medical information and then take the 3 and 4th pages to your doctor, who will direct you on what tests to do and then you send back the form to them. A UN Medical Officer will then review it and then give you clearance if you meet their standard. Of course, you will receive a reimbursement as part of your pre-entry payment that is usually paid.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 21 Oct 2018, 02:34

My medical clearance was super easy. I had to fill in a form and in a few days I was cleared. I didn't have to go to any doctor. But I think it depends on duty station.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 21 Oct 2018, 07:14

starryhindsight wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 02:34
My medical clearance was super easy. I had to fill in a form and in a few days I was cleared. I didn't have to go to any doctor. But I think it depends on duty station.
Oh wow, so easy. Although I did answer in the medical questionnaire that I haven’t had a medical test in the last 2 years which was why they asked me to get one done.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 21 Oct 2018, 07:42

There are different versions of medical clearances: a UN staff contract requires a questionnaire, extensive tests by a UN appointed Doctor, UN medical services being involved etc. Other contracts can be just a note from your local doc that you are fit for work...