P2 to P3 in different UN agencies, missions, etc..

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
starryhindsight

P2 to P3 in different UN agencies, missions, etc..

Post by starryhindsight » 07 Oct 2018, 00:37

I notice that in UNHCR, despite your experiences, you will end up always being recruited into P2, as the P3 level is generally reserved for Head of the Division.. whereas in UN Missions, I would be able (based on my qualifications) to start or get positions in the P3 level..

If I have experience in both areas, would it be difficult to move from P2 from UNHCR into P3 working in a UN Mission (in a role that I would be a suitable fit in both organization)? I am just wondering if I am hurting my chances getting a P3 position in a UN mission if I start from P2 with UNHCR.. I know that it all depends on steps, etc also.

If anyone have an advice or can correct me, it would be much appreciated.

Sebastian

Re: P2 to P3 in different UN agencies, missions, etc..

Post by Sebastian » 11 Oct 2018, 05:37

starryhindsight wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 00:37
If I have experience in both areas, would it be difficult to move from P2 from UNHCR into P3 working in a UN Mission (in a role that I would be a suitable fit in both organization)? I am just wondering if I am hurting my chances getting a P3 position in a UN mission if I start from P2 with UNHCR.. I know that it all depends on steps, etc also.

I would follow your passion rather than your ambition in most cases: i.e. look for job content first and foremost.

But should you get the choice for the P2, i would take it. Yes, any transfer might be cumbersome but I don’t think it is as difficult as say G7 to P2 or NOA to P2.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 13 Oct 2018, 13:53

Sebastian wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 05:37
starryhindsight wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 00:37

I would follow your passion rather than your ambition in most cases: i.e. look for job content first and foremost.

But should you get the choice for the P2, i would take it. Yes, any transfer might be cumbersome but I don’t think it is as difficult as say G7 to P2 or NOA to P2.
Hi Sebastian, speaking about moving positions, I just heard that the restrictions on a direct move from International Volunteer to Professional positions have been removed. Do you know how true this is? Unlike in Consultancy and Internship where you need a couple of months to break in service prior, this is no longer the case for International Volunteers.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 14 Oct 2018, 07:09

H.O.P wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 13:53

Hi Sebastian, speaking about moving positions, I just heard that the restrictions on a direct move from International Volunteer to Professional positions have been removed. Do you know how true this is? Unlike in Consultancy and Internship where you need a couple of months to break in service prior, this is no longer the case for International Volunteers.
I don’t have further information about that - maybe someone else knows more?

What I do know is that these things can vary from organization to organization and even within organizations quite a bit. So if in doubt I would always try.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 14 Oct 2018, 08:54

Sebastian wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 07:09
H.O.P wrote:

I don’t have further information about that - maybe someone else knows more?

What I do know is that these things can vary from organization to organization and even within organizations quite a bit. So if in doubt I would always try.
Thank you. Please, does anyone have any information about this?

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 14 Oct 2018, 09:47

H.O.P wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 08:54
Sebastian wrote:
H.O.P wrote:

I just heard that the restrictions on a direct move from International Volunteer to Professional positions have been removed.
There were no 'restrictions' rather it (the break/time-out) was/is a standard operating procedure under UN charter widely adapted throughout UN System Organizations. There are also several cases where volunteers made their worth known/under specific conditions they had been offered 'stipend as well as brought into paid contract' (no-one like to lose an asset when it's really needed). Also sometimes they get full consideration on occasions when a relevant P-level position arise in the same unit they serve (provided they meet the eligibility requirements and can fill the dots on merit).

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 14 Oct 2018, 12:33

NevKen wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 09:47
H.O.P wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 08:54
Sebastian wrote:

There were no 'restrictions' rather it (the break/time-out) was/is a standard operating procedure under UN charter widely adapted throughout UN System Organizations. There are also several cases where volunteers made their worth known/under specific conditions they had been offered 'stipend as well as brought into paid contract' (no-one like to lose an asset when it's really needed). Also sometimes they get full consideration on occasions when a relevant P-level position arise in the same unit they serve (provided they meet the eligibility requirements and can fill the dots on merit).
Yes, that's what I meant. That the time-out has now been removed for IUNVs. I couldn't find any information on this online. But, I was told that it just happened. Which is why I am wondering if anybody has heard such.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 20 Oct 2018, 04:58

You are right, the most recent MoU signed last month removes the eligibility restriction for UNV to take up any staff positions. I can't find the MoU itself, but it should be somewhere.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 20 Oct 2018, 08:50

starryhindsight wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 04:58
You are right, the most recent MoU signed last month removes the eligibility restriction for UNV to take up any staff positions. I can't find the MoU itself, but it should be somewhere.
Hi Starryhindsight, thanks for this information. I was wondering if it was just a rumour since I also couldn't find any information on this on the internet.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 20 Oct 2018, 15:14

H.O.P wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 08:50
starryhindsight wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 04:58
Hi Starryhindsight, thanks for this information. I was wondering if it was just a rumour since I also couldn't find any information on this on the internet.
If I find it, I'll send it to you. But I definitely read it in the MoU itself.