What do I need to pay for? (Insurance, UN Passport, Taxes...?)

Things to know before you start applying to jobs in the United Nations. Also, other tips and tricks, common pitfalls and place to discuss employment scams.
54arde

What do I need to pay for? (Insurance, UN Passport, Taxes...?)

Post by 54arde » 01 Oct 2018, 06:51

Am I required to purchase insurance and pay a fee for my UN passport and applicable taxes upon hire and /or on deployment?

Sebastian

Re: What do I need to pay for? (Insurance, UN Passport, Taxes...?)

Post by Sebastian » 08 Oct 2018, 11:56

54arde wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 06:51
Am I required to purchase insurance and pay a fee for my UN passport and applicable taxes upon hire and /or on deployment?
Hi,

I moved your post to a new topic - I think these are relevant questions. In principle, on a UN staff contract you will not need to pay for any UN-related item. I.e. your UN income is typically tax exempt, there is no cost for a UN passport etc. If you are ever contacted to advance/pay some money to somebody and it is claimed this is on behalf of the UN, it typically is a scam!

Now on insurances, this is an interesting topic: on non-staff contracts often you will be required to obtain your own insurances. Happy to discuss this topic in a separate thread further.

Were you asked to pay for something by somebody?
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.