The Covid-19 crisis and its implications in UN hiring

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
finsalscollons

The Covid-19 crisis and its implications in UN hiring

Post by finsalscollons » 16 Apr 2020, 20:13

Hi everybody.

In the first place, let me wish that you guys are well and safe in your countries and the Covid-19 crisis hasn't produced really bad consequences in your health, your job or your loved ones. I have been quarantined for the last month but all my loved ones and I are healthy and safe.

I wonder how this Covid-19 crisis will impact hiring in the United Nations. Are the processes in progress being paused? Will the number of job vacancies being offered decrease because of the emergency? What could happen one or two years from now?

I don't know anybody who is talking about this. So if you have information (e.g, a link), insights (some of you have a lot of UN experience), opinions or comments, I think this would be a good place to discuss this topic for the benefit of the members of this forum.

Thank you and stay safe,

H.O.P

Re: The Covid-19 crisis and its implications in UN hiring

Post by H.O.P » 17 Apr 2020, 10:21

I have the same exact questions myself. I still see vacancies been advertised on Inspira and some UN Agencies. I think it could probably slow down the whole process and international recruitment could be heavily impacted. I don't know and will like more insights on it too. I have not been able to really ask anyone seeing as the whole world is focused on the pandemic.

finis_terrae

Post by finis_terrae » 17 Apr 2020, 11:27

Problems related to the freedom to cross borders can lead to a reduction in the number of international jobs. It may take up to 2 years. Competition will also increase (unemployment).

finsalscollons

Post by finsalscollons » 17 Apr 2020, 14:04

Right now, I am involved in 8 recruitment processes in a multiple UN organizations (UN Secretariat, UNOPS, UNHCR and WFP). All of these processes have appeared as "in progress" for months. It is not unusual in the United Nations for some processes to appear stuck, but this is an unusual big number of apparently stuck processes. It could be a coincidence or it could be something else.

In addition, the funding of international organizations could decrease in the near future. Trump denying funds to the WHO organization could be the harbinger of things to come. The last year UN funding experience a major crisis, because many countries (especially, USA) didn't pay on time. "Multilateralism has lost its luster", as a UN officer once said. And the countries will prioritize funding of the response to the disease.

I hate to be so negative, but these are things that have to be taken into account.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 18 Apr 2020, 07:43

From what I'm seeing also, existing UN contracts about to expire (but people are still deployed) are likely to be extended unless repatriation is specifically available and chosen as an option. I have also received approaches from other UN organizations tentatively checking for Applicants who are already in-country so perhaps opportunities can also come from this side. I also know certain organizations that externally deploy to UN agencies may also put their recruitment process on hold (I only knew this because I specifically asked about my application).

jane27

Post by jane27 » 18 Apr 2020, 09:13

Hi everyone,

What I can say is that recruitment never stops in the UN. Even at this point of a global health crisis, I understand from UN colleagues that they're all working from home, so they don't have anything else to do but do the usual work, minus field travel. Even those who did not manage to go back to their duty stations are working from home. I also saw some new job postings recently.

Moreover, there is an urgent call by the UN for rapid deployment in response to COVID-19, not just to address the pandemic but moreso, to address its impact especially to the most vulnerable countries who already have existing issues, such as conflict. More resources and attention will be devoted there, so if you're looking to get involved, this could be an opportunity for you.

At this time, I'm seeing more needs within a country due to travel restrictions. However, there is a note for internationals, it will be more likely telecommuting and will be traveling to the duty station once the travel restrictions are lifted.

I hope these help. Stay safe, everyone!
“Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman

finsalscollons

Post by finsalscollons » 18 Apr 2020, 18:43

Very good information from you all. Thanks for sharing it. Some other people may have more information.

Bella

Post by Bella » 22 Apr 2020, 22:00

Hello all,
I have recently applied for 4 positions at the end of March. 1 have been under review for 2 weeks and 1 have been under review for about a week now. So it did go from Application Acknowledgment to Application Under Review recently which I am guessing that the hiring teams are still working. The application process closes for the other 2 jobs tomorrow. I see that they are still posting vacancies but I am not sure how long the hiring process at this time is gonna take. I am hopeful that they get back to me soon!

Has anyone had a status change from application under review to the next step recently?

Collins

Post by Collins » 23 Apr 2020, 08:54

I finished the final round of interviews for two different positions with WFP in early March.

One position emailed me within a week saying that my application was not successful although it says "In process" on the online job application status. (I had a feeling they already had a candidate in mind when I had the panel interview and that the interviewers were just going through the formality of interviewing the appropriate amount of candidates).

While waiting for the decision for the second one, I received an email saying that recruitment for a number of positions including the one I applied for, are on hold due to the impact of Covid--19 to the org/businesses/economies and they will be in touch when the recruitment starts again.

I think it depends on the organisation and position, but based on the two responses I received, it looks like WFP has paused a number of recruitment while fast tracking other positions based on priority.

Both positions were for an international consultancy.

13RVNokri

Post by 13RVNokri » 29 Apr 2020, 02:47

HI folks,
I am a GIS Consultant and an Environmental planner.
I am looking for contract home based positions. I have been trying for a long time.
In fact I have also applied to project and program management positions.

If anyone has some ideas or contacts please let me know.
Any help is appreciated.

with regards,

Ravi Nigudkar