ARCHIVE: the 2nd Ask Anything Wednesday!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Sebastian

ARCHIVE: the 2nd Ask Anything Wednesday!

Post by Sebastian » 13 Oct 2018, 09:37

Hi all,

the last time, we had an Ask Anything Wednesday, it was both great fun and a big success. The archive is here:

1. The Original Ask Anything Wednesday

As the last time, we host the Ask Anything Wednesday to give new forum members a chance to engage: There is much to know about the UN and it can be intimidating to ask. That’s why we will have the next Ask Anything Wednesday. Feel free to ask your basic, easy, hard to answer questions in this topic. On Wednesday the 17th of October latest I will go through them and reply to the best of my ability.

Thanks for asking!

Cheers,
Sebastian

PS: Volunteers wanted - if you know about the UN, job hunting etc. please chime in! The more the merrier! Thanks a lot!

THANKS EVERYONE - THIS WAS GREAT FUN! I WILL LOCK THIS THREAD NOW AND KEEP IT IN THE ARCHIVE.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

FromKadugli

Re: Join for the 2nd Ask Anything Wednesday!

Post by FromKadugli » 13 Oct 2018, 10:06

Thanks Sebastian!

Do you know if all internships in the UN are unpaid?

Pete

Post by Pete » 13 Oct 2018, 17:47

Can somebody tell me the grade equivalents for the UNOPS ICA?

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 13 Oct 2018, 18:19

Pete wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 17:47
Can somebody tell me the grade equivalents for the UNOPS ICA?
Any numeric value next to ICA would be good to convert the grade, without that ICA is only Individual Contract Agreement (When 'L' is a prefix, it's Local and when 'I' is in prefix, it's International). Secondly you will find - ICS (I-10) - that defines the level and is also helpful comparing with other grades.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 13 Oct 2018, 18:21

Sebastian wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 09:37
PS: Volunteers wanted - if you know about the UN, job hunting etc. please chime in! The more the merrier! Thanks a lot!
Shortlist me :D

agsrini

Post by agsrini » 14 Oct 2018, 14:42

Dear Sebastian
Can anybody let me know if the rostering for UN HQ would be applicable for UNDPKO also. Thanks - Srini

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 14 Oct 2018, 17:28

agsrini wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 14:42
Can anybody let me know if the rostering for UN HQ would be applicable for UNDPKO also.
Applicants rostered can always bid for latest VAs if they meet the stated requirements as long as they are bidding for a comparable VA at a same level or lower and in a job family they were rostered (i.e; Roastered for PMO P4 are eligible for PMO P4 or lower level, regardless of duty station).

Dastil

Post by Dastil » 14 Oct 2018, 18:16

I'm interested in what kind of assistance the UN typically offers for relocating families to another country. Specifically, I have a 10 year old son who is severely disabled and has aggression issues that make it difficult for him to function in typical public schools. Does the UN have anyone who assists with these kinds of issues or are candidates generally expected to handle the logistics of relocation on their own? I would also be interested in whether foreign language/cultural training is typically provided to accompanying family members.

The position I'm currently being considered for is in Geneva if that is an important factor. I know this is a fairly specific question so I greatly appreciate any helpful information you may have. Thanks!

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 14 Oct 2018, 19:02

Dastil wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 18:16
I'm interested in what kind of assistance the UN typically offers for relocating families to another country.
First thing to know is that; the duty stations are categorized into one of six categories H and A to E and among them are Family/Non-Family duty stations. The family duty stations does not necessarily mean are for every VA. UN relocation allowance/incentive where permissible is one-off payment and it's in no way a big amount but reasonable enough (this does not mean UN pays for FoB/C&F of all household shipments etc).
Dastil wrote:
Specifically, I have a 10 year old son who is severely disabled and has aggression issues that make it difficult for him to function in typical public schools. Does the UN have anyone who assists with these kinds of issues or are candidates generally expected to handle the logistics of relocation on their own?
UN in certain cases where applicable provides for dependents (spouse) for kids (may be educational incentives but not any medical) as all employees are required to adhere to local laws and adapt to various recommended insurances (they are normally deducted from gross salary but the employee is liable to arrange and pay for assisted facilities for dependents). At every duty station, there is a group that welcomes newbees meet/greet and orientate them plus directs the employee in right direction (rental home/children schooling/organization/institutes) as required.
Dastil wrote:
I would also be interested in whether foreign language/cultural training is typically provided to accompanying family members.

Only the employee gets orientation not the dependants - dependants are not UN responsibility as it already pays the stipend for spouse (only stay home spouse)
Dastil wrote:
The position I'm currently being considered for is in Geneva if that is an important factor. I know this is a fairly specific question so I greatly appreciate any helpful information you may have. Thanks!
Geneve is one of the expensive station means a slightly better post adjustment other than that it's Geneve!

Starbuck

Post by Starbuck » 16 Oct 2018, 05:10

How long does medical clearance usually take and is candidate informed about the outcome through HR contact or through medical administration?