why do they want to remove the P and G categories?

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
Post Reply
unwannabe
Posts: 14
Joined: 12 Dec 2018, 15:53
Been thanked: 1 time

why do they want to remove the P and G categories?

Post by unwannabe » 04 May 2020, 20:01

wouldnt this basically eliminate the need for international staff? why should they hire an international and pay allowances when they can simply hire someone locally?

H.O.P
Posts: 167
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: why do they want to remove the P and G categories?

Post by H.O.P » 05 May 2020, 08:54

unwannabe wrote:
04 May 2020, 20:01
wouldnt this basically eliminate the need for international staff? why should they hire an international and pay allowances when they can simply hire someone locally?
Could you provide more context? Is there a link to this assertion?

unwannabe
Posts: 14
Joined: 12 Dec 2018, 15:53
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: why do they want to remove the P and G categories?

Post by unwannabe » 05 May 2020, 23:42

H.O.P wrote:
05 May 2020, 08:54
unwannabe wrote:
04 May 2020, 20:01
wouldnt this basically eliminate the need for international staff? why should they hire an international and pay allowances when they can simply hire someone locally?
Could you provide more context? Is there a link to this assertion?
its my personal opinion. why should you pay someone from e.g. india to move to eg new york. pay him education allowance, rental subsidy etc if you can simply hire someone locally? these allowances are only in place because of the concept of P (international staff).

Papa
Posts: 47
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 20:54
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: why do they want to remove the P and G categories?

Post by Papa » 06 May 2020, 05:03

The one year I have worked with UN, I have leant that they emphasize on this....Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible.

cherrygirl
Posts: 46
Joined: 13 Feb 2019, 13:40
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: why do they want to remove the P and G categories?

Post by cherrygirl » 06 May 2020, 07:50

Papa wrote:
06 May 2020, 05:03
The one year I have worked with UN, I have leant that they emphasize on this....Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible.
I agree with you. Why would it be called the UN otherwise? It can be just a national organization if only national staff can be or need to be recruited no?

H.O.P
Posts: 167
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: why do they want to remove the P and G categories?

Post by H.O.P » 06 May 2020, 09:52

unwannabe wrote:
05 May 2020, 23:42
H.O.P wrote:
05 May 2020, 08:54
unwannabe wrote:
04 May 2020, 20:01
wouldnt this basically eliminate the need for international staff? why should they hire an international and pay allowances when they can simply hire someone locally?
Could you provide more context? Is there a link to this assertion?
its my personal opinion. why should you pay someone from e.g. india to move to eg new york. pay him education allowance, rental subsidy etc if you can simply hire someone locally? these allowances are only in place because of the concept of P (international staff).
Like others have said to encourage competition and promote geographical representation of all member states. Why would a person from say New york move to India if they can't be guaranteed of the resources to provide same level of education for their kids? This is why those allowances are put in place. The concept of the UN wanting to hire the best possible option around the world.

unwannabe
Posts: 14
Joined: 12 Dec 2018, 15:53
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: why do they want to remove the P and G categories?

Post by unwannabe » 06 May 2020, 16:56

H.O.P wrote:
06 May 2020, 09:52
unwannabe wrote:
05 May 2020, 23:42
H.O.P wrote:
05 May 2020, 08:54


Could you provide more context? Is there a link to this assertion?
its my personal opinion. why should you pay someone from e.g. india to move to eg new york. pay him education allowance, rental subsidy etc if you can simply hire someone locally? these allowances are only in place because of the concept of P (international staff).
Like others have said to encourage competition and promote geographical representation of all member states. Why would a person from say New york move to India if they can't be guaranteed of the resources to provide same level of education for their kids? This is why those allowances are put in place. The concept of the UN wanting to hire the best possible option around the world.
this is the system that is in place now. But isnt the argument for removing the P and G "caste" system that Gs are equally qualified to Ps?
How can you argue to hire internationally if you have numerous Gs capable of doing P jobs without having to pay all these allowances?

we will see. as I said just trying to understand why people want to get rid of the system

H.O.P
Posts: 167
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: why do they want to remove the P and G categories?

Post by H.O.P » 06 May 2020, 17:20

unwannabe wrote:
06 May 2020, 16:56
H.O.P wrote:
06 May 2020, 09:52
unwannabe wrote:
05 May 2020, 23:42


its my personal opinion. why should you pay someone from e.g. india to move to eg new york. pay him education allowance, rental subsidy etc if you can simply hire someone locally? these allowances are only in place because of the concept of P (international staff).
Like others have said to encourage competition and promote geographical representation of all member states. Why would a person from say New york move to India if they can't be guaranteed of the resources to provide same level of education for their kids? This is why those allowances are put in place. The concept of the UN wanting to hire the best possible option around the world.
this is the system that is in place now. But isnt the argument for removing the P and G "caste" system that Gs are equally qualified to Ps?
How can you argue to hire internationally if you have numerous Gs capable of doing P jobs without having to pay all these allowances?

we will see. as I said just trying to understand why people want to get rid of the system
Because the qualification for a G post is high school certificate and locally recruited. This is the actual rule. Unfortunately in actuality, a lot of people in G and more qualified and not really locally recruited. But the same rules are still used. Now, if your argument is that Gs should be allowed to apply for Ps when they qualify, then that is currently being debated. There so many UN recruitment rules that still need re-evaluation.

Post Reply