Strange process and when and how to ask for feedback

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
avasarala

Strange process and when and how to ask for feedback

Post by avasarala » 19 Oct 2018, 03:12

Hi everyone,

I have been recently involved in a sort of entertaining duplicate selection process and I would like your advice on how to proceed. The story is a bit long so here I go:

I applied to both P3 and P4 positions for a similar profile. Just after two weeks (quite unusual for these processes!) I got two emails one right after the other where I was invited to take a first test (one for each position) to be completed before certain date a few days ahead. Each test contained 32 multiple-choice questions on abstract reasoning, numerical reasoning, critical reasoning and data interpretation. I did completed them with a very good score on both P3 and P4, as the results appeared right after finishing and submitting them. Well, it seems I did ok so two weeks later (unusual!) I was invited to a second round of tests, again for both P3 and P4 positions. This time the tests consisted of several situational judgment questions, less analytical than the previous tests, and a short essay on given case study. Obviously there were some differences between the P3 and P4 tests. I did not get the scores instantly as before, but I was confident I did ok on both. I must say that the two rounds of tests were quite fun and entertaining to do, specially the second tests both P3 and P4. I was then expecting a long wait..but surprise, just four weeks later I received two identical emails telling me I was shortlisted for a competence based interview (actually two interviews, one for each position!), as I had successfully met the testing and eligibility requirements, and that they would write me shortly to propose a date. So far, so good. After one week, I got a new email with the proposed interview date but for the P3 position, which I duly confirmed. No news on the date for the P4 interview, but I assumed these arrangement take some time so no problem with that (I did not ask anything at that point). As I had around 3 weeks before the P3 interview date, I started preparing it but then, out of the blue, I received an email a few days later telling me that the P3 position had to be cancelled due to budget constrains (bummer!), so no P3 interview (bummer again!).

I should say that the subject of that email was referring only to the P3 position vacancy number, so I did reply politely saying that I perfectly understood the situation and I thanked them in any case for the opportunity. At this point I had not yet received any further follow-up regarding the P4 position (supposedly I was also shorlisted for interview, as the other email said), so I decided to add a sentence on that same email asking some feedback (again very politely) regarding the P4 interview status. Well, I received no answer at al and no further feedback.

My question is that whether I should ask again about the status of that P4 interview replying to the original email thread (as it had the P4 reference on its subject), or just let it go. I know the P3 has been cancelled, but nothing about the P4..and no answer when I mentioned under the P3 thread (maybe I did wrongly asking there, I don't know). What do you suggest?

Aaaah these weird and obscure UN processes!

Thanks everyone!

Sebastian

Re: Strange process and when and how to ask for feedback

Post by Sebastian » 19 Oct 2018, 07:45

Thanks for sharing. I would wait just a little longer and then gently follow-up on the P4 process.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

avasarala

Post by avasarala » 19 Oct 2018, 22:08

Hi Sebastian, thank you for the suggestion, I will do that and see if I manage to get some feedback. Even if that position is also cancelled, better to know it than being kept in a limbo.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 03 Nov 2018, 08:20

avasarala wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 22:08
Hi Sebastian, thank you for the suggestion, I will do that and see if I manage to get some feedback. Even if that position is also cancelled, better to know it than being kept in a limbo.
Any news in the meantime? I heard the other day from a story about a recruitment process where the organisation refused to provide any feedback for about 9(!) months and then out of the blue did a follow-up with the candidate...
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

avasarala

Post by avasarala » 04 Nov 2018, 18:58

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your message. Actually it's sort of funny, the same day I was about to write asking for feedback...I got an email confirming a date for the competence based interview. So far no cancelation, so let's see what happens. Any suggestions for a CBI? Thanks

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 04 Nov 2018, 19:24

avasarala wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 18:58
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your message. Actually it's sort of funny, the same day I was about to write asking for feedback...I got an email confirming a date for the competence based interview. So far no cancelation, so let's see what happens. Any suggestions for a CBI? Thanks
Great to hear & thanks for letting us know - we have a thread on CBI here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=132 (feel free to add your question over there)

All the best & good luck!

wlimiadyx

Post by wlimiadyx » 09 Nov 2018, 05:03

Hi everyone,

Since we're talking about strange process, might as well dropping my curiosity here. I was wondering if our persistent email follow-ups (let's say every 3-4 weeks) would cost us the chance of being considered or rostered? What is the right cadence to ask for updates to the Recruitment team?

Thanks!
Cheers

Will