Vienna: any thoughts or tips?

Discuss different duty stations including living conditions, where to find what, advantages and disadvantage here.
Mer

Vienna: any thoughts or tips?

Post by Mer » 02 Jun 2020, 14:24

Any thoughts and tips on Vienna as a duty station?
How is it to work at the HQ there?

H.O.P

Re: Vienna: any thoughts or tips?

Post by H.O.P » 02 Jun 2020, 14:38

Vienna is great! To me, it's better than Geneva, city wise. Vienna was my first foray into the UN and loved it. Everyone I met said the same thing and didn't want to leave. It's currently one of the places I reside in.

Mer

Post by Mer » 03 Jun 2020, 14:35

H.O.P wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 14:38
Vienna is great! To me, it's better than Geneva, city wise. Vienna was my first foray into the UN and loved it. Everyone I met said the same thing and didn't want to leave. It's currently one of the places I reside in.
Thanks, H.O.P.! Is it hard to get by speaking only English? I heard renting an apartment is cheap but very hard to find?
I'm waiting to hear back from an interview I had. The duty station is Vienna and since I'm from North America, it's a big change for me. I'm trying to prepare mentally for the possibility of moving (in the middle of a pandemic) lol.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 03 Jun 2020, 17:42

Mer wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 14:35
H.O.P wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 14:38
Thanks, H.O.P.! Is it hard to get by speaking only English? I heard renting an apartment is cheap but very hard to find?
I'm waiting to hear back from an interview I had. The duty station is Vienna and since I'm from North America, it's a big change for me. I'm trying to prepare mentally for the possibility of moving (in the middle of a pandemic) lol.
When I got my apartment it wasn't too hard. This is about 5-6 years ago. I'm not sure what it's like now. I did survive on just English for a while, then learnt some German later on (still needs more learning). But I've met several people within the international community speaking only English. This will, however, limit your circle of interaction.
Also, in the UN, you will see some adverts for apartments for rent advertised. Although, they're only just opening the UN up again. It's not fully functioning yet. Rent is reasonable when I compare to other big European cities that house Intl. organisations.