How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!

How many UN jobs did you apply to in the past 2 years?

No application yet - still waiting for my dream job to come by
6%
1 or 2
16%
3-5
7%
6-9
13%
10-15
12%
16-25
10%
25-50
12%
51-100
7%
101-150
7%
More than 150
12%

Total votes: 102

NevKen

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by NevKen » 26 Nov 2018, 16:37

Chisanga wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 09:43
I have only done the first application but I noticed the part which asks for relations in the UN .my young brother works for UN secretariat which I disclosed.do I stand a chance of getting employed or I should just give up since I have a relation working for IN.
Quite interesting, it would be great to hear your brother's take (as he is already working at the UN).... that would be a great resource not just for you but for this forum...

Reason the UNHRM asks for relatives is to make sure that they do not make a mistake putting all the eggs in one basket...

C4IE

Post by C4IE » 07 Dec 2018, 08:45

atmonarman wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 15:18
Navigating I found that UN personnel has access to training on preparing themselves for interviews. Externals like me, don´t have access to such training.

I often get the impression that the UN is designed for entering young and climb up the ladder; not for externals.
I wouldn`t overestimate the training aspect either. Usually external candidates perform quite well based on the trainings and things they`ve done in their prior jobs.

The second point is very valid, from my experience especially on P2-P3 level. Usually you`d be asked quite operational and internal process driven questions which are quite difficult to answer from an external perspective. So they`d prefer to go with the easy option and getting someone who has done exactly the same the last years...

arandem2@gmail.com

Post by arandem2@gmail.com » 08 Dec 2018, 11:57

Around 100 this year. From G5 (when close to my Country, or for other specific reasons) to P3. Most of theme G6 and P2, some P3 and FS

prophelious

what are the procedures in un talentpool job recruitment

Post by prophelious » 12 Jan 2019, 09:46

I applied for several jobs but not yet contacted may be is still early but the jobs applied for are again re-advertised now three years. quit disturbing! so I want to know the steps in recruiting from UNV Talent pool.

aggieatieno

Post by aggieatieno » 15 Jan 2019, 07:08

I applied for a G7 job and got invited to do the test at the office, at the same time I had applied for a NOA job and have also done a test interview. For the G7 I got a regret saying. ."After a careful review of your assessment results, we are sorry to inform you that we are unable to proceed with your application at this point". For the NOA I proceeded to the oral interview phase and I am awaiting results. Both are within the same UN agency, are they able to track the same applicant for different positions and can one application affect the outcome of the other, for example, could they have decided that my qualifications and experience suited me best for the NOA position?

ichtus

Post by ichtus » 16 Jan 2019, 08:56

Sebastian wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 07:53
ichtus wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 20:51
Just for your reference, a friend of mine, a UN P staff, sends an average of 30 applications per month for years. He's in several P rosters, and he's never off the job.

This is a long term effort, not just for 1 year or 2.
That's really an intriguing case! If you don't mind could you (in general terms) share where your friend works? What he does?

The reason I'm asking is, that this is an experience I have never heard off in all my years with the UN. Of course many organisations don't have a promotion policy, that means that you will need to re-apply when you want to progress your career. But 30 applications a month? I have never heard of that...

Most people I know are in three buckets of people: the first is hopping from short-term to short-term gig (think project experts, young university grads etc), the next group stays in their jobs between 3-5 years (these colleagues typically have a very steep and fast career but this implies a lot of mobility) the last group stays in their jobs pretty much "forever" - both at the G-Level side of things but also all the way up to Directors.
The friend I was talking about has worked for different offices under UNS, then WFP, and now FAO, all on fix-term contract for at least one year (usually more), P level. He's in the field of procurement.
I think his method is quite strategic and it works pretty well. Take procurement as a simple example, rosters/positions for Procurement Officer and Contract Management Officer are not the same in UNS. But much of the job responsibilities are overlapping, or I would say, if you are familiar with one, then you are competitive to get the other. And don't forget there are different levels as P3, P4, P5...
And there is no universal roster for the UN system.

jmasereka

Post by jmasereka » 21 Jan 2019, 10:13

two applications

cenzo

Post by cenzo » 25 Jan 2019, 11:17

Hello world !!
My name is Martins, from Portugal.
I am at this point with 102 applications, since 05.12.2018.

Alida Moni

Post by Alida Moni » 04 Feb 2019, 22:56

J’ai déposé plus de 5 dossiers et jusqu’ici j’ai été appelé au test des VNU mais hélas pas de suite favorable.
Je continue à postuler et me former.

Azuria

Post by Azuria » 13 Feb 2019, 08:02

I have been applying for jobs at the UN for years! General Service Category. I got a fixed temporary contract. I still want to go back. I guess I will keep on applying and hope for the best (fingers crossed) :)