How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!

How many UN jobs did you apply to in the past 2 years?

No application yet - still waiting for my dream job to come by
7%
1 or 2
13%
3-5
9%
6-9
11%
10-15
13%
16-25
11%
25-50
9%
51-100
9%
101-150
6%
More than 150
12%

Total votes: 82

atmonarman

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by atmonarman » 16 Feb 2019, 15:34

My updated stats:
173 applications in the last 12 months, from P3 to D1 (mostly P4-P5), across the UN ecosystem.
70 I still consider active
The rest I consider inactive (either 3 months passed and no answer, or negative answer)
4 short-listings (P3, P4, P4, D1). At 3 of them I did the final interview, but wasn´t selected. The other one is a "paused" process.

After again having reach to the final interview, and again haven´t been selected, I am starting to think that most posts must be published having somebody already in mind...

So are there real chances for externals to get a job at the UN ecosystem? I would be very grateful if any of those of you who work in HR of the UN could share any statistics about the amount of externals, versus internals, being selected for published P3-P5 posts.

Thank you in advance.

cenzo

Post by cenzo » 18 Mar 2019, 15:36

Problem is to have one single feedback.
I have already surpassed 200 applications!!!
Not easy to deal with a ATS machine...
Ironically, we are talking about human resources.

cenzo

Post by cenzo » 19 Mar 2019, 12:13

atmonarman wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 15:34
My updated stats:
173 applications in the last 12 months, from P3 to D1 (mostly P4-P5), across the UN ecosystem.
70 I still consider active
The rest I consider inactive (either 3 months passed and no answer, or negative answer)
4 short-listings (P3, P4, P4, D1). At 3 of them I did the final interview, but wasn´t selected. The other one is a "paused" process.

After again having reach to the final interview, and again haven´t been selected, I am starting to think that most posts must be published having somebody already in mind...

So are there real chances for externals to get a job at the UN ecosystem? I would be very grateful if any of those of you who work in HR of the UN could share any statistics about the amount of externals, versus internals, being selected for published P3-P5 posts.

Thank you in advance.
atmonarman,
I agree with you. Some data regarding the number of externals recruitment would be very appreciated in order for me and most of this forum users understand if we are simply wasting our time or not. People make genuine expectations due to the number of positions offered. If there is no real intention to recruit externally, I should not be done any advertisement, I think.
I do understand that every organization tends to move and reassign inside employees. I am ok with that. If I was in a fixed term situation, I would appreciate that my applications would be considered prior than outside applicants, that´s ok.
Still, I wonder how many outside applicants are really getting a chance…

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 19 Mar 2019, 13:51

atmonarman wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 15:34
So are there real chances for externals to get a job at the UN ecosystem?
Ecosystem has five types of eco-relationships as per Science: (it will be shocking for those with no environmental background but if you talk about UN Ecosystem - interaction is somewhat same)

Predation: One win, one lose
An interaction between two species in which one species benefits by obtaining resources from and to the detriment of the other.

Competition: Double negative
When multiple organisms vie for the same, limiting resources.

Mutualism: Win win
An interaction that benefits both species.

Commensalism: A Positive/Zero Interaction
An interaction where one species benefits and the other remains unaffected.

Amensalism: A Negative/Zero Interaction
An interaction in which the presence of one species has a negative effect on another, but the first species is unaffected.

HUMANR

Post by HUMANR » 19 Mar 2019, 18:10

i have applied for over 150 jobs, from G5 to P4. Never got a reply. It´s hard for outsiders. But if I get one fair chance, i´ll make it. P.S. I work with human rights for 10 years.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 20 Mar 2019, 12:24

Everyone is really positive and motivating. I just submitted my first application today (profile roster) and I'm motivated to just keep applying (regardless of response).

Thanks (:

arandem2@gmail.com

Post by arandem2@gmail.com » 26 Mar 2019, 20:41

It was just today....I have been shortlisted for an ungraded position (IOM). I know for professional reasons someone who works for them and i contacted him to better understand what "ungraded" actually means. He explained me a lot of things but the one i'm still thinking about (it looked like a detail in that moment) is this: "by the way, he said, as ungraded you'll be allowed to apply for internal vacancies up to six month after the deadline of the contract". I didn't ask him about that, so this must be a very important "detail"...

Hope

Post by Hope » 29 Mar 2019, 16:56

Hello everyone,

For the past two years, more than 100 applications

cenzo

Post by cenzo » 04 Apr 2019, 11:06

Hello, world !!

For the last 4 months...more than 350 applications !!
And zero feedback !!!
Not even a roster opportunity. Neither a single mail for a interview !!
I am almost 50 and the main reason to go back to school was to work at ONU, since a looooong time. I know I just have a bachelor´s, but I have extensive international experience, speak 5 languages, as also 25 years of management and administration (a few of them as senior management).
Said that, I am sorry to believe that there must be something wrong with all of the HR and their approach to candidates and applications. It is very good to have studies (probably I will go for a master´s). But it is also good to be experient in live to know how to deal with a lot of situations that a University do not teach and UN needs on the field. A ATS machine does not know the difference and if a master´s is the top criteria, it will kill the dream of a lot of great candidates. I do not want to loose my time with discussions about this subject ( I need it to apply again and again). This a honest and personal opinion of someone who has been around the world for years, working for a lot of different employers. And believe me, a recruitment process taking 9 or 11 months or even years, is not normal !

atmonarman

Post by atmonarman » 06 Apr 2019, 06:51

Hello Cenzo,

If you say you just started submitting applications 4 months ago, I wouldn´t be worryied of not having been contacted, since the usual time for them to contact pre-selected is 3 months (on average). I know it because I have been shortlisted (invited to written tests) 6 times in 1.5 years. I always passed the written tests so far, and got to the final interview.

The problem is that at interviews, I had the feeling in some cases that the position was already "given", which reminded me about a comment in this blog of someone saying he/she had also reach to the final interview, but was never selected.

By the way, I am still waiting for the final outcome of 3 of those positions. One of them is a process that started in February 2018!!